bed lift

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

bed lift

Postby yycwrangler » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:07 am

Hi Guys

Putting away the trailer for the winter but planning mods for the next summer. I have a 6x12 Vnose and had built it similar to a Boler trailer. Bench in the front of the trailer and sitting area that converts into a bed at the rear by the ramp.

I'm just finding it a hassle to take down the sitting area to make a bed and then each morning collapsing the bed and setting up sitting.

If I could crank the bed up to the raised position, in the ceiling,it would give us room to sit underneath it..Lower and the bed is all ready to go.

Have any of you done this and if so did you use a kit. If you haven't done it, have you seen anything that would work in our cargo trailer

Cheers
Al
Calgary
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Re: bed lift

Postby pvangel » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:07 pm

I am planning on a build this winter as well, I would also like to do a drop down bed and don't want to spend $1000 on a Happijac bed. Would love to see what people have come up with for this!
pvangel
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Here is one of the best I've seen.
https://tinyhousetalk.com/bed-lifts-to- ... onversion/

This one is based on cables and pulleys and a hand winch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF_G2tnZapU

This guy is great. Very handy and modest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwdCn3h46h8

A little more complex but easily doable and he explains it pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz8y3a_JbIo

There are lots of designs out there and like most things the simplest usually work the best. IMHO

Good Luck!

McDave

PS. I have seen some based on "Attic Lift" systems that are very affordable. These are the lifts you would use in the rafters of the garage etc.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby pvangel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Great info, thanks for posting!
pvangel
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:25 am

I think many of what I have seen are a little complicated, often with ugly mechanical things where you really do not want them (guide rails, pressurized shocks, etc.)

I did one in an old bus/coach many years ago where I just used a shaft with bearings across the back.. just behind the back edge of the bed frame when the bed was up.

Just think of a roll up door shaft on any ramp door trailer.. It is what I actually did use... parts from a garage door, the hollow shaft and end bearings.

I attached THREE lengths of nylon webbing to it via metal strap and rivets, one on each end, and one in the middle. For that one I did use "Seat Belt" webbing because it was thinner yet dense, and being thin, kept the diameter as small as possible when rolled up.

The outside two pieces of webbing were directed forward, went through to two, one on each side simple pulley blocks I made (just wide enough flat roller units attached to a beam in the ceiling), then down, close to the walls to the front corners of the bed. The center webbing went more or less straight down to the center of the rear of the bed frame. The shaft itself was located behind the bed when fully raised, and far enough back for the rolled up webbing to clear the bed frame when rolled up.

When one wound the shaft (I used a gearmotor), the webbing wound itself onto the shaft, pulling the bed up evenly to the ceiling. When lowered, the front straps would not cause any access to bed issues as they were near the wall, and in this case, the one rear strap down the back did not matter.

The things to keep in mind with this concept:

1. The shaft must be located behind the bed when raised,

2. The wound diameter of the webbing on the shaft must be no larger in diameter than the thickness of the bed unless you do not mind if it is there.

3. I used wider webbing so when it wound up on the shaft, it stays 100% on top of itself. Otherwise some discs or large washers might be required.

4. The webbing/strap used only needs to meet weight specs that are enough to lift an empty bed.

5. The bed will need to REST on rigid rails or cabinet edges when lowered, NOT rely on the webbing to hold occupants weight.

6. You may need to incorporate adjustment facilities on the BED END of the straps to adjust for the bed pulling up tight and parallel to the ceiling.

7. Once up, a mechanical latch method is probably a good idea. When down, gravity should suffice as long as that is still turned on :-)

This concept is smooth, quiet, can be manually or electrically powered, concealed with upholstered cabinetry, minimal in weight and hardware, and not requiring any rails or mechanical garbage on the side walls. It also doesn't leave you with dirty/gnarly steel exposed cables whereas webbing is available in almost any color decor you need to match. I did this many, many years ago, and I have seen the same quiet lovely concept used in modern multi-million dollar coaches in more recent years.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby brianjonesphoto » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Just found this site for a manufacturer of bed lifts that are not happy jack.
https://castlewinch.com/products/electric-bed-lifts/

Their DIY install instructions are quite informative with some "inspiration" photos

https://castlewinch.com/products/electr ... iy-manual/
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:53 pm

Great find
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jwhite » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:18 pm

I have a 30ft toyhauler that has that kind of bed lift and it's great to just hit the button but I also have a my 7x16 cargo trailer and I have a murphy bed that folds up .
the original was a queen bed and I had it against the rear wall that has a door to go out onto the rear deck it was head to toe from across to wall to wall, the problem was I had to walk over the bed to go out onto the deck and it was really hard put the sheets on and was really hard to let down and put back up so much that I left it down until I left.
I decided to change it to a smaller twin bed being it was just me and my dog and changed it so it was head to toe was front to back against the wall that gave me walk around room to go out the back and around the side of the bed and it is so much easier to put it up and take down I could do ii every day and have a ton of room inside.

so for me just a redesign solved my problem. I though I would put in shocks to help with the let down and put up but I don't really need them.
this made a huge difference for the better .
jwhite
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions