XPS thickness - can’t find 3/4in. Change build plans?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: XPS thickness - can’t find 3/4in. Change build plans?

Postby Squigie » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:20 pm

John61CT wrote:don't y'all have cheap truck rentals round there?

Indeed. But that's even less viable than dragging my trailer up and back.
Fuel economy in of those trucks is generally 30-50% worse than towing my tent trailer with one of my vehicles.
I also only have U-haul available here. They no longer offer "unlimited" mileage for local rentals. If the truck/van comes back with more than 50 miles on it, you get charged an additional $0.59 to $1.19 per mile over the allowance. That works out to about $250 in mileage fees, on top of crappy fuel economy.

Trust me, I considered all options - including attempting to convince the wife to go camping in the area in August/September, so I could throw some insulation on top of the trailer on the way home; or even having a friend swing through on his way back to Alabama from Alaska with a 30-foot cargo trailer that had 10 feet of empty space available in the back (not that dedicated space would be needed for XPS).
It just wasn't viable, or didn't work out.

In the end, I obtained what I needed at a reasonable cost, with essentially zero fuel burned and no time wasted. The supplier that I found is right across the street from my son's school, and the arranged pickup time was 5 minutes after school drop-off time. I had to be at that place at that time, anyway.
:thumbsup:
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:35 pm

And here I was thinking that only in Oz was distance and freight costs a deal breaker.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby pchast » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:58 pm

Squigie wrote:In the end, I obtained what I needed at a reasonable cost, with essentially zero fuel burned and no time wasted. The supplier that I found is right across the street from my son's school, and the arranged pickup time was 5 minutes after school drop-off time. I had to be at that place at that time, anyway.
:thumbsup:

I'm interested in the type of business you found to supply that insulation. :thinking:

Thanks
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:25 am

It was an overhead door company - very unimaginatively named "Overhead Door" - but most of their business, I learned during pickup, is actually conventional insulation jobs that have nothing to do with doors.

Since then, I've also found a custom cabinet shop that claims they can get 3/4" XPS.
Though, even with that knowledge, I don't think I'd start calling every cabinet shop to ask about XPS, were I to find myself in the same situation again in another city.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques