The next decision - wall attachment

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

The next decision - wall attachment

Postby MickinOz » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:07 pm

So, I'm at the next decision point.
I am taking my inspiration from the guys who run solid 3/4 inch ply walls with no insulation.
Like caseydog's very clean, simple, super stylish build.
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1547&image_id=84733

My side rails + 15mm floor plywood come in at 85mm.
Australian ply wood sheets are 1200mm wide.

So if I do the simple Benroy style wall attachment - just run the ply sheet down the side and screw into the side rails, I will be left with 1200-85 = 1115 mm internal wall height above the floor inside.
That is 43.9 inches. I'm not intending to insulate / internally line the roof either.
Hands up, people. Is that inadequate/adequate/ample, for this style?

I have built the floor at 1550 wide, to ensure a full queen size mattress will fit without drama.
1550 is 61 inches.
If I sat the walls on top of the floor, I'd still have 59.5 inches to squeeze a queen size mattress in.
Then internal height is 1200mm/47.2 inches, but the trade off is that the simplest attachment option would be a strip of plywood screwed to the outside of the well and the frame rail.
Sorta like the "woody trim" in the bottom right corner here:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19442

Very simple, quite strong, I think.
But..........not quite as clean looking as just carrying the walls down the side.

So, love to hear from people what their finished internal height came out at.
And opinions on what is adequate, what is not.

One last point that matters I guess. I am thinking 6 inch foam mattress from Clark Rubber:
https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/collecti ... ress-queen

That's Aussie dollars, so about $185 US, give or take.
Opinions, please.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Re: The next decision - wall attachment

Postby tinman52 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi Mick, I used 1/2" ply for my outer walls and ran it down even with the bottom of the frame(2" high frame). Seemed like a much stronger attachment and looked better too. I have about 43" of headroom in my teardrop and that works okay even though I'm 6'4" tall. I don't think those 2" would make a world of difference.
Gotta remember, you're not going to be living in there....just relaxing or sleeping for the most part.

Good luck on your build!
tinman52
Teardrop Inspector

Postby edgeau » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:03 am

I have the 1200mm sheet sitting on top of the floor but I have 34mm lost in ceiling insulation and liner. My wife and I are both 178cm and do not feel cramped with a similar mattress to what you are planning.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby noseoil » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:29 am

Here's a shot of the galley bulkhead mock-up. The vertical 1/4" panel (6mm) is still too wide & needs to be trimmed, but this shows a dado in the floor, with a place to hold the side panels (6mm x 21mm) plowed along the side. The side panels in this case were 3/4" plywood (19mm), whittled out to a skeleton, then skinned with a layer of 1/8" on the inside. This panel was placed first, glued & screwed from the bottom & sides, then wires were run prior to skinning on the outside to seal thing up. A dado joint allows you to use fasteners from two directions for a good strong joint, but the glue actually does the work.

Here's what it looks like after the sides are in place & things are moving along.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques