how does it work?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

how does it work?

Postby gill2161 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:26 am

i have been looking at posts where foam walls are covered with canvas and i saw a few that used titebond 2 wood glue to attach the canvas to the foam board but wont you need something over that like the stuff you use for fiberglass to make it solid?
gill2161
Teardrop Inspector

Re: how does it work?

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:12 am

After covering, the canvas is painted with several coats of house paint. That seals the canvas and makes it waterproof. The skin is not hard which is a good thing; it's not brittle. Small dents are self healing in the sun.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:01 am

Like taking a tour of NASA and asking if it really is possible for humans to go to the moon and back.

What you're asking has been answered in thousands of posts here, exactly what this sub forum is all about.

I suggest you read more, starting with the oldest / longest threads.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Postal_Dave » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:37 pm

fiberglass uses epoxy to make it solid. With Poor Man's Fiberglass, aka PMF, we're not looking to make it solid. The foam is the solid part. The glue, canvas, and paint make is stronger and more rigid. We usually do put the foam inside a wooden frame so we can attach one piece of foam to another by screws and glue.

I always suggest that before you go out and buy a trailer and hundreds of dollars in materials, you start small and do some experiments with foam and canvas to find a combination that you can work with.

Have fun
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby greygoos » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:19 pm

John61CT wrote:Like taking a tour of NASA and asking if it really is possible for humans to go to the moon and back.

What you're asking has been answered in thousands of posts here, exactly what this sub forum is all about.

Be nice to other forum members.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:32 pm

John61CT wrote:Like taking a tour of NASA and asking if it really is possible for humans to go to the moon and back.

John:

I didn't respond to this post because I don't have any personal knowledge of PFM. He's asking for help.

:thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:37 pm

OK, I apologize for the snark but stand by the advice.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:36 am

Gil , Welcome to the Foamie Forum !!! What you suggest , works GREAT !!! It’s been many years now and all is well proven …

From experience , PMF ( Canvas over Foam) works great adhered with T2 or similar glue .. Some Acrylic primers also work … although I believe the best of them (Glidden Gripper) is not the same ... best check here for latest product comparisons ;)

Just be assured , whatever you do , there will be Plenty of Help available here !!! :D Any question is a good question !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby gill2161 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:26 am

well i have been doing a lot of research and i think i might found a light weight solution for the trailer and design. trailer made from PVC still need to find data on how strong this might be and total weight. like to hear all of your input and expertise about this plan.
Attachments
th1.jpg
th1.jpg (6.79 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
th.jpg
th.jpg (5.97 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
PVC-bike-Trailer-diagram.png
PVC-bike-Trailer-diagram.png (101.75 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
gill2161
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:47 am

I'll let an ME state the structural values of PVC. What I will say is I build many things around the yard with PVC (small greenhouse, archery stands, solar panel stand, wood coverings, etc...). None which tend to stand up more than 3-4yrs no matter how I coat them. Nature just gets the best of them. The side of running down the road with it.. Let me tell you about my commercial trailer and the 2" x 4" x .01 tube steel frame no only bent, but fractured from hitting a shallow pothole doing 50 mph on a freeway. The stress placed on the frame is far more than you'd think. My opinion is the PVC would not hold up.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:14 pm

PVC trailer ??? Now that’s a valid question , and if you ask around here most likely the answer will be NO !!! ( but don’t let us stop you from experimenting !!! ) There are traditionally No Rules around the Foamie Forum , just lots of "Suggestions” … ;)

Ps. They long told me a foam trailer wouldn’t work at all … :R

And if you must , I believe the Gray PVC is STRONGER … Good Luck !!! Send pictures !!! :pictures:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:14 am

Judging from gill's other posts, I gather the intent is to tow this behind an electric-assist bicycle.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Postal_Dave » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:30 am

Not battery assist but a 49cc, after-market gas engine. I watched a YouTube video on it the other day. If you just want the important highlights of the video, fast forward to 7 minutes in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU1bFX-o6Ls
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:11 pm

I question the durability where its almost constantly flexing(like in the draw bar). A larger diameter or an internal structure to resist flex may make a difference. {I'm NOT a structural engineer}
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Using PVC (or any other common cheap plastic) for a heavily loaded part will teach you the engineering concept of "creep".

"Heavily loaded " is pretty subjective, but for example if a 125 pound load will break the part suddenly by snapping it in two, I would say it's getting heavily loaded when it's carrying 20 pounds or so. If it's' only carrying two pounds, it's "lightly loaded".

When plastic is heavily loaded, it "creeps". Over time periods of days and weeks it will slowly deform, stretching and bending very significantly and essentially failing in slow motion.

Metals don't creep. Wood does not creep. Cheap plastic does creep badly. It's a material property caused by the molecular and crystalline structure of the basic material and you can't change it.
Special expensive plastics are available that don't creep, they are usually called "engineered plastics". The plastic parts on your car are engineered plastic materials that don't creep.

PVC pipe will creep, so I would never use it for a trailer frame.
Use thin wall lightweight metal tubing or wood instead - it will probably end up being lighter than PVC pipe anyway. PVC pipe is pretty heavy, compared to metal tubing or wooden sticks of equal strength.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies