The New Norm

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

The New Norm

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:23 am

Wash your hands and do not be stupid about this. I have a cousin and wife with it already.
One little tip from a friend with a dog, if you do not have protective gloves when filling your gas tank, use that poop sack, invert and toss when you are done.
Thanks to the governors from Washington, New York and California for leading the way.
Wash your hands.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Re: The New Norm

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Sorry about your family members hope they have a speedy recovery.
Another idea is to use those left over grocery store produce bags if you don’t have doggie poop bags.
Stay well everyone, :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Dahlia47 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:22 pm

I hope they recover soon. Two weeks ago someone I know who is an rn said to be more wary about the seasonal flu. Wash your hands, don't touch your face. Then last week, the same person tells me reports coming from with in the US are pretty scary. Go to work, go home. Stay in. My daughter homeschools, but takes a math class with other kids known as a co-op. The co-op has shut down. Girl Scouts shut down till further notice. Civil air patrol, online. I just got off the phone with my brother. In Mesa, AZ there are 3 cops guarding the T.P. at Walmart. I am self-employed, two of the households are teleworking, one is immunocompromised, and I haven't heard from the 4th yet. I contacted them. I hope they are all healthy. I have already applied for a telework job because my customers will probably not need me until further notice. My husband will find out Monday if he will be out till further notice as well. If we are both out of work until further notice, I am going to go to the cabin and take the vacation we cancelled. In the city, everything is shut down. At the cabin, I can at least go outside and do some fishing!

How many of you are hunkering down camping?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby Cosmo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:58 pm

On the up side. Has anyone noticed the spectacular air quality? Ya I am aware why but lets not go there
I have not enjoyed air this pure since I was a kid. Its really noticeable here. im loving every breath.

I was out enjoying the air and caught this transaction in front of a local restaurant. Seated dining is on hold for now.
Take is OK and this is how its being managed here.

https://youtu.be/4at9tfKogLc

Better days are coming. I guarantee it.
=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby David H. » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:10 pm

Mc Donald's won't serve me at the drive thru, only cars. They served me the day before on my bike. I would like to know why. Pretty bummed out!
David H.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:34 am

Our city bereft of cars , is also bereft of a plethora of Car FUMES , that air suddenly sparkling CLEAN and Fresh , in the City … :o Rather enjoyable for the old lungs …
Good time for a re-evaluation of our wasteful life styles … :R
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:54 am

I am hoping this isn't the new norm. Hopefully, this doesn't last much longer. I am a bit on the fence about the virus. There's a part of me that says that this isn't any different than any other virus. Then I see the reports and the sick on tv from around the world. That is what grabs my attention. Being in a big city makes my fear worse. I don't want to catch it. Give it to my family. My customers. No one. It has totally disrupted everything. I'm a busy body. I can't stay here in one spot much longer. I get groceries and gas, ya, but, I need to keep busy. A man a couple of weeks ago in front of the check out line asked me if I had enough toilet paper, I said yes. He told me he doesn't know what to make of this. He said he found some jugs of hand sanitizer, kept one for himself, then went around the store and gave the rest to the seniors around the store. I am thinking this IS a nasty virus. Not to be taken lightly.
I really do hope this ends soon. I hope you all and your nearest and dearest stay well.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby troubleScottie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:25 am

The issue is the same for all viruses. How many people can be affected and what is the outcome of that infection.

Major problem viruses are being slowly defeated. Small pox, measles, even HPV all are being addressed with vaccination programs.

The flu is difficult to defeat. The virus is ever mutating largely due to the specific structuring of the genetic information and the size of the virus container. The health community does not really "tolerate" a 0.1% death toll in infected people. The vaccinations is only about 70% effective and not everyone gets it. In addition, with age, one is protected by having been exposed to other variants of the virus. Thus many more people are immune to any given exposure. Thus in the US, the typical 30,000 deaths out of 350,000,000 is significantly lower than 0.1% ( more like 0.01% ).

The COVID-19 has a mortality rate of between 1 and 10% depending on the age group. Since no one on the planet had ever seen this virus, it it possible that in the US that 3,500,000 (3.5 million or 1%) people could die. Though not as deadly as ebola or SARS or MERS, COVID-19 is significantly higher than most other viruses.

Unlike the last pandemic in 1917-1919, we do have some technology to help people. But at some point, we will run out of immediately available resources.

Until there is a vaccine (12-18 months if everything goes well), the fall back solution is to isolate. Very primitive but effective.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby booyah » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:15 am

So for me the day job is now telecommute only, and the side job has taken it in the teeth (independent small business computer contracting). The side gig is shut down (portrait photography) but since we are traveling less (less == none), splurging less (less == none), and eating out less (less == almost none) the $$$ is about the same (same == saving a lot more) :R .

I'm very worried for friends/family who are immuno-compromised, elderly, and others. Hopefully we all get through this OK.

I am also getting very concerned for a lot of the local businesses, restaurants, and others who are shut down under "non essential"services rules though. They may be non essential, but their pay usually isnt...
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:45 am

Equally important, if these non-essentials have health insurance, it is tied to them working. So they lose their insurance also.

That is why some countries are giving about $2,000 per month to people.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion