A project in need of a name ** edit** Meet “Daisy”

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

A project in need of a name ** edit** Meet “Daisy”

Postby MatBirch » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:18 pm

Hey gang, after starting my trailer build thread in the wrong spot, twice :oops: , I figure I’d start a build journal to keep things up to date. We still can’t seem to come up with good name for it. My buddies insist it had better be funny, and should play well with the “anal game”. I never knew this was a thing, but they all seem to think so. Add the word anal to nearly any store bought rv name... wanderer, discoverer, explorerer... :lol:
Here’s the current thread- viewtopic.php?f=53&t=71911
I started out planning on a foamie build, which grew too large, so a little rework and a new canned ham standee began. It is wood framed, 1.5” thick, sheeted with the dirt cheap 2.7mm Luaun plywood, then canvassed.

This is the first update in a while, since completing the PMF and getting the exterior electrical wrapped up. It’s been a crazy busy fall so far.

I sprayed urethane expanding foam on the entire interior as well as under the floor and fender wells. The underside also got fully undercoated! Sorry, I didn’t get pics of that.
The foam is very rigid and bonds crazy well, so it adds a ton of stiffness and structure to the thin plywood skin. It is now rock solid, and very well insulated to boot!

Today I scarfed the foam back flush with the furring with a wire wheel on a grinder. This is quite possibly the worst job ever! The foam dust reacts aggressively to static charge, it floats in your eyes, and you can’t get it out. It sticks to everything, and is a huge pain to clean up.
Once completed and cleaned up, I was able to get a little lining started. I wasn’t able to get the plywood to bend enough to shape to the interior side of the curve, like I did on the outside. I wound up having to do it in segments, but it’s still going well.
Last edited by MatBirch on Mon May 25, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Re: A project in need of a name

Postby MatBirch » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:19 pm

I finally got the remaining interior lining done. It’s not trimmed out yet or anything, but it’s up and nailed off. Only wasted one sheet with the stupid angles and fenderwells. (I think can use most of it up on the cabinets.). Wife hasn’t decided yet whether she wants the interior painted or clear finish. I’m leaning towards clear.

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MatBirch » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:29 pm

Moving along slowly, but moving along nonetheless. A little break over the holidays gave me some time to get some interior paint work done. The front wall, up and over, and rear wall are white, with the sides natural. (The bare spots are openings yet to be cut. It still holds the heat in for now!)

I got a couple of my doors built as well, so time to get some canvas on the man door!

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MatBirch » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:31 pm

Progress has been a little slow with the weather, but I got my door finished. Still need a frame for the seals, and to get the latch finished up.
Also got a start on a couple compartment doors

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MatBirch » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:47 pm

Things have been slowly progressing, but it’s finally starting to come together.
I’ve got a few windows installed, got the bathroom framed in, sheeted, painted, etc. I got a few of the overhead cabinets built and installed. I had to shift gears and start to work on the floor so I can install the lower cabinets and dinette.

I needed a light that would be low profile, cheap, and wanted unique. I decided to add a little dirt bike flair!

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MatBirch » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Making some really good progress recently. My company is “essential”, but I had just enough of a cold last week that I was asked to go home for a couple days. Not enough to slow me down though. 8)

This week was cabinets and electrical.
All the uppers are complete, as well as the fridge hole and sink base.

The green looks really bright in the pics, but it’s actually nice soft seafoam.

I got a bunch of the electrical installed as well. The batteries are in place, all devices mounted and most temporarily wired up. I still need my 4/0 cables for the batteries and inverter, but everything else is functional.
The batteries will eventually be in a sealed cabinet, but as they are not sealed batteries, the cabinet will be vented to the outside. The cabinet will be divided and also house the composting toilet

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:01 pm

how will you vent those FLA batteries????????
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:26 am

No need to vent the FLA batteries, just enclose them & over time, the acid fumes will eat enough holes to create vents. FLA batteries are self-venting!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MatBirch » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:33 pm

pchast wrote:how will you vent those FLA batteries????????
:thinking:

Gonna vent it right through the body adjacent to my shore power plug which is the blank cover plate.
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MatBirch » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:39 pm

Another stellar weekend on my build. Got a really good start on the dining booth, and wrapped up the sink base cabinet. Still looking for a sink to put in it...

The dining booth will of course convert to a small bed. With the limited space available, I need every inch I can muster. I came up with what I think is a very clever arrangement. 8)
My seat backs recline to make them more comfortable. Each side slopes 5” top to bottom. I came up with a easy and convenient folding arrangement that allows to remove each seat back without fasteners or hinges. (No hardware at all. FREE!). Once the seat backs are removed, we gain back that 10” of overall length. :thumbsup:

And the finished cabinet-

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:09 pm

I would say let it earn its own name.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby MatBirch » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:41 pm

Got a pile of cabinet doors built over the last few days. I turned an old drill press table into a quick and dirty router table to mill my rails and stiles.

I used my fully EPA approved down-draft water capture filtration spray booth! :lol:

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MickinOz » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:41 am

Damn it! Here I was fixing to excuse all my screw-ups with the claim that I did the best I could with the facilities I have.
Then you come along and do work like that in a dirt floored f@#(ing tent!
Good job. :thumbsup:
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby MatBirch » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:13 pm

MickinOz wrote:Damn it! Here I was fixing to excuse all my screw-ups with the claim that I did the best I could with the facilities I have.
Then you come along and do work like that in a dirt floored f@#(ing tent!
Good job. :thumbsup:

Thanks!
As long as it’s not raining, it’s been ok. Definitely miss having a shop space though.
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MatBirch » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:18 pm

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals