Weird question- poop and batteries

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Weird question- poop and batteries

Postby MatBirch » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:26 pm

Hey gang, I have an unusual question for my build. I have limited space, so my battery bank is basically going to be in same cabinet as my composting toilet. Batteries one one side against the outside wall, toilet next to it against the inside wall.

My batteries are a pair of 6v Trojan flooded. I got an incredible deal on them, so going AGM at this time is silly. The inverter, charger, panel etc, are mounted to the wall directly above, so I need to seal the cabinet to protect those components from corrosion from the acid. I have a plan to vent my cabinet to the outside.
Question is,
Can the toilet and batteries share the same sealed space, or do they need to sealed from each other and vented separately?

MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Weird question- poop and batteries

Postby Pinstriper » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:47 pm

https://youtu.be/5X5z0yYGgl4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:04 am

The composter usually has active venting directly from the inside compartment to the outdoors.

If the space is decently sealed, and an intake is around the battery area, that will kill two birds with one stone.

In reality millions of FLA batteries are open to human occupied small spaces with no issues.

Some people don't like the smell is all, maybe a few actually allergic to sulphur?

There is no danger except from sealing them up in a small closed box letting the hydrogen get concentrated.

From AGM practically zero output
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MatBirch » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:15 am

Pinstriper wrote:https://youtu.be/5X5z0yYGgl4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very helpful! :lol:
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MatBirch » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:23 am

I kind of misspoke... it won’t be a true composting toilet, certainly not a commercial job, anyway. Mostly a fancy bucket potty that I want to vent.

My concern on battery venting comes from my day job as an electrical in the truck/trailer industry. Both the inverter and the battery charger instructions are pretty specific about not mounting directly above non-sealed batteries. It’s evidently not so much about that mythical explosion risk, as the vapors will quickly corrode the guts of the devices. Since I got both for free, I don’t want to wreck them :R
I’ve also seen what vapor from urine will do to metal, so I was a little concerned about having the batteries in the same compartment.
In looking at it further, I could vent the battery compartment through the wall, and go through the floor for the potty section...
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:11 pm

:thinking: If this is any help, I have my battery behind my toilet, separated with a closed but not sealed tight compartment and the electrical connections and controller are directly above. The battery is in a special sealed battery box that is vented to the outside, but the Luggable Loo toilet bucket is not vented. However, my battery is an AGM. (You don't have to vent an AGM but I did it just in case anyone ever used a different type. I've found that even AGM batteries out-gas a little.)
It's been that way for 9 years with no problems. (My battery is finally wearing out after 9 years!) You can see most of it here, including the white outside hose that connects to the top of the battery box:
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1291&image_id=67321

Here is the completed project, set up for that midnight need. (The battery is in the compartment behind the toilet lid.):
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1291&image_id=99101

Note: I can't get the image thingy to work, but if you click on the addresses above, you'll be able to see the pictures.

Here is what I used for a battery box. The one I got came with all the attachments. You may have to purchase those separately now...dunno....:
https://www.amazon.com/MTS-Company-250- ... 049&sr=8-3
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby John61CT » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:00 pm

Yes, even low concentration of fumes over time will corrode electronics.

But right next to is fine, just not directly above.

The key is dispelling the outgassing into normally circulating vented air.

Danger only comes from closing the box tight, then active venting to outside is required.

"Composting" toilets aren't really, just "separating toilets". If your DIY version has no active venting then one normal exhaust fan will handle both.

Just be **sure** to keep the pee separate from the poop, it's allowing them to mix that is fatal.

Stirring the poop and medium regularly helps a lot too.

Save up for a good one, worth every penny!
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion