Spare Tire Quandary

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Spare Tire Quandary

Postby immped64 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:28 am

drhill wrote:to find the adapters, use the term "wheel adapter" in google search. There are a number of things to check for this to work. The outside diameter of your vehicle wheel doesn't have to match your trailer, but the closer it is the better if you think you might have to use the spare for a long distance. And of course, if the outside diameter is too big you loose fender clearance. Trailer wheels have a zero offset ( the mounting flange face is in the center of the rim width). Vehicle wheels usually have the mounting face offset to the outside of the wheel. This problem is taken care of if the wheel adapter is the appropriate thickness.

In looking over the tire specifications of my tow vehicle and camper I am seeing that the bolt circle is identical (5 x4.5").

I am entertaining the thought of using my vehicle's spare tire as the temporary spare for the camper should I get a flat.

The vehicle spare I measure as 27 inches in diameter. The camper tire is specified at 26.3 inches. This is not perfect but it appears there would be enough clearance to the fender wall.

If the bolt pattern is the same between TV and TT would I still need a wheel adapter of a specific thickness or would I be looking for a wheel spacer?

Since a lot rides on getting the correct fit I am thinking that in the interim it might be a good idea to try out the vehicle spare to see if the fit is adequate.

Going this route I could just tighten the wheel adapter to my tire mount and have a lot of extra space.

I know I typically wouldn't camp far from home so I would just need to limp home and replace it once there with the real spare.
immped64
Teardrop Advisor

Postby drhill » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:58 am

You are lucky. Trailers with 5 bolts are almost always 5 x 114.3 (5 x 4.5"). And that bolt pattern was very common on vehicles back in the 80's and 90's but is unusual now. What is your tow vehicle?

Anyway, the tire OD difference of 27" vs 26.3" is only 0.35" difference in radius. That likely won't be noticeable at all. Time for you to jack up the trailer and try out the vehicle spare. Depending on how much clearance you have and how much offset the vehicle spare has, you may or may not need a spacer. If you do need one, hopefully somebody else here can give you more guidance as I looked onto wheel adapters, but then mounted a spare under the trailer, so I never have ordered an adapter.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:07 am

If the bolt pattern is the same between TV and TT would I still need a wheel adapter of a specific thickness or would I be looking for a wheel spacer?

There are two types of centering systems for wheels. Hub centric and lug centric.

Trailer hubs have a protrusion the wheel fits onto. A lug-centric rim relies on the taper on the nut to center it on the hub.

This guy can explain it better than I can but you need to make sure your vehicle rim will center on the trailer hub.

So it's a little bit deeper than just the bolt pattern.

Capish? :thinking:

Tony

P.S. Putting quality high-ply tires on your trailer will reduce the need for a spare.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby eLink » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:30 pm

Has anyone looked into this "Retract-a-Spare" for the undercarriage?
SpareMount.jpg
SpareMount.jpg (39.69 KiB) Viewed 2630 times

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1 ... 0DER&psc=1
eLink
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:07 am

On my last build, I was toying with a run to the junkyard to salvage something like this but in the end, I chose not to because of the loss of clearance.

We spend too much time in the boonies where the two-tracks that lead to our camp spots sometimes aren't nice.

:frightened:

I think it would be a good idea for a teardrop that stayed near the pavement.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:47 am

tony.latham wrote:

On my last build, I was toying with a run to the junkyard to salvage something like this but in the end, I chose not to because of the loss of clearance.

We spend too much time in the boonies where the two-tracks that lead to our camp spots sometimes aren't nice.

:frightened:

I think it would be a good idea for a teardrop that stayed near the pavement.

Tony

Sorry to high-jack the thread, but was the picture taken with a drone, Tony?

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:58 am

Sorry to high-jack the thread, but was the picture taken with a drone, Tony?

It was. It's a favorite camp spot of ours in the Valley of the Gods. (We would be there today, but...)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby immped64 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:01 pm

I've dropped the project for a while as I did not have an adequate jack for raising up the tire to see if my RAV 4 spare might swap out easily.

To refresh the present intention in regards to the spare tire situation: I would like to use the RAV4 spare to (short term) replace the trailer tire should I get a flat. I need to see whether the bolt patterns indeed match up prior to getting my wheel adapter.

I finally got into town and bought a cheap jack from Harbor Freight.

I pulled off the existing tire and tried fitting the RAV4 spare on the hub. Immediately I could see that it did not want to fit over the hub.

I measured the hub at a little less than 2.5 inches but the opening on the RAV4 spare was 2.25 inches. So I was not able to see how the bolt pattern matched up.

Tony: My trailer tires are definitely lug centric. There is a lot of clearance between tire opening and hub.

I guess for now I'll need to look at getting a wheel adapter. From what I see they don't break the bank even if it doesn't fit proper. I guess for now I'll go with the premise of a 5 bolt pattern on 4.5 centers. I'll definitely be looking for something with 2.5 opening or greater. I'll try to guesstimate the thickness that I'll need spaced.

Hoping to get back on track again.
immped64
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MickinOz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:26 pm

eLink wrote:Has anyone looked into this "Retract-a-Spare" for the undercarriage?
SpareMount.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1 ... 0DER&psc=1

That's the kinda thing I was talking about salvaging from a ute back on page one. I didn't know you could just buy a nice ready to go set up.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:48 pm

immped64 wrote:That is quite interesting.

I have been wondering whether the spare from my car could be used temporarily as a spare for my tear drop trailer. Without doing the measurement the 5 spoke pattern looks similar between the 2.

So evidently there is a difference between car and trailer that would require an adapter.

Could you share the type of adapter you are using possibly? I couldn't find it doing a Google search.

This would be great for saving space on the trailer and bypassing any potential balance issues by mounting the spare somewhere else.

It has been way too long as I remember using as search term. the pattern for the trailer axle and going to the patern/spacing for the car.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby immped64 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:46 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:
immped64 wrote:That is quite interesting.

I have been wondering whether the spare from my car could be used temporarily as a spare for my tear drop trailer. Without doing the measurement the 5 spoke pattern looks similar between the 2.

So evidently there is a difference between car and trailer that would require an adapter.

Could you share the type of adapter you are using possibly? I couldn't find it doing a Google search.

This would be great for saving space on the trailer and bypassing any potential balance issues by mounting the spare somewhere else.

It has been way too long as I remember using as search term. the pattern for the trailer axle and going to the patern/spacing for the car.

Knock on wood I found what I was looking for in a Wheel Adapter but the catch will be that the shipping time will be quite long. If this does work in using the car spare tire it will save me considerable tongue space. Until then I believe I have even a greater hurdle to tackle with the solar wiring.
immped64
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:50 am

did the 'adapter' thing a few years ago - fitted/tested and it worked just fine! = carried it for a few years, but after a lot of thought when traveling, ended up putting it away on a shelf in my shed, which is where it is still today....after never being needed. Living here on the west side of the mountains here in Washington just made me think that "knowing my luck", I would be the one getting the flat in the dark with the rain pouring down, and yes, the just having to change the flat in the rain will be one thing, but the now - having to add the "mounting/assemble/torqueing" of a 2 piece (5to6 lug) wheel adapter just makes me "cringe" at the thought of it in the WET/DARK!! Since, I have just -bite the bullet- and carried the 'real' spare w/tools/coveralls-raincoat/tarp/rubber mats/lantern etc. etc, etc..... for changing a flat (to include the air compressor for when it 'just in case' is not 'quite' flat!! - Did use to carry a bicycle pump BUT after a flat in 100+ degree weather a few years ago and thus having to air up the mini spare from 18psi to 60 just to use it = 3/4 pushes of the pump per pound = over 200+++ pumps!!! and about 10++ 'rest' trips walking around the truck 'bleeping' up a storm!!! = NEVER again !!! PS: the Ryobi battery powered lantern/in-car charger/air compressor/flash light/impact wrench etc. work just GREAT!! along with the 60+lbs of tools in the tool box in the back of the truck!! :thumbsup: Take care..............
gudmund
500 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques