Cronas a good time to YAMP!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Cronas a good time to YAMP!

Postby les45 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:11 pm

We've already been yamping just to check out our latest project. State parks just opened here this week and we have reservations for June 2 for our official first camp.

les45
500 Club

Postby les45 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:58 pm

slowcowboy wrote:We still got crona cases going up here in wyoming. state parks are opening up and so is Yellowstone to limited day use only. but I am staying home with my county crona cases the highest in the state and cases still climbing rapidly I expect a 2 wave when all the turists get here..so I plan to hibernate alot hoping to get some backpacking trips in..its still not safe to rush back out there..slow..

I totally agree. The whole country is rushing back too soon. They better be listening to Dr. Fauci.
les45
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu May 14, 2020 7:37 pm

les45 wrote:
slowcowboy wrote:We still got crona cases going up here in wyoming. state parks are opening up and so is Yellowstone to limited day use only. but I am staying home with my county crona cases the highest in the state and cases still climbing rapidly I expect a 2 wave when all the turists get here..so I plan to hibernate alot hoping to get some backpacking trips in..its still not safe to rush back out there..slow..

I totally agree. The whole country is rushing back too soon. They better be listening to Dr. Fauci.

Shelly and I completely agree. We are retired and staying away from folks as much as possible this Spring and Summer, including ordering a month worth of food from Walmart at a time, and having them put it in the back of our Taco as we sit in the parking lot. (Boy that beats shopping in-store! That improvement has to live on after the pandemic! :thumbsup: ) A month at a time may seem like a long stretch, but we're deliberately challenging ourselves, and are treating it like practice in case we ever go on a long duration camping trip away from civilization. We have flour and other baking necessities, and can do without fresh milk--the only perishable we can't stretch or substitute for.

I was giving myself a deadline to finish our teardrop by early Summer so we could test it and then take a trip from New Mexico to Upstate NY to visit my mother, aunt and uncles. That trip is postponed for at least a year. Last thing we want to do is bring the virus to them! So I've been out cutting fire wood (by myself), and will go back to finishing the teardrop in a few weeks. I'll take my time, and enjoy the rest of the build, including a well designed and built galley, which is the major work outstanding.

Gotta make the best of any situation. "Felicity, the companion of content, is rather found in our own breasts than in the enjoyment of external things; and I firmly believe it requires but a little philosophy to make a man happy in whatever state he is." --Dan'l Boone

And let's hope for a vaccine ASAP! :beer:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby JuneBug » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Curious if you use a separate freezer as part of that month-long supply Wal-Mart strategy or are just buying non-perishables. We just have a freezer-down fridge and we're maxed out on frozen food. It does't take a lot to fill it up.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:06 pm

JuneBug wrote:Curious if you use a separate freezer as part of that month-long supply Wal-Mart strategy or are just buying non-perishables. We just have a freezer-down fridge and we're maxed out on frozen food. It does't take a lot to fill it up.

We've talked about getting a freezer, but right now we're just using the freezer above our fridge. (It is just the two of us.) We get 6 containers of ice cream in the door, and we do buy loaves of bread and freeze them, so in that regard, we're cheating as far as practicing for a long term trip. The rest of the freezer is pretty much meat.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to General Discussion