Good Reads?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Good Reads?

Postby Dahlia47 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:03 am

Does anyone subscribe to any good magazines about traveling, hiking, biking, climbing, travel trailers, RVing? I see a lot of mags out there, but I am not really sure about the consistency and quality of their recommendations of places and articles.

Any places to boondock in Texas? Or private Rv parks? They still haven't opened the parks here in Texas for overnights. I am desperate to get out. I'm not ready for the beach just yet.

As soon as this is all lifted, IM OUTTA HERE!
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Good Reads?

Postby tony.latham » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:24 am

Dahlia47 wrote:Does anyone subscribe to any good magazines about traveling, hiking, biking, climbing, travel trailers, RVing? I see a lot of mags out there, but I am not really sure about the consistency and quality of their recommendations of places and articles.

Any places to boondock in Texas? Or private Rv parks? They still haven't opened the parks here in Texas for overnights. I am desperate to get out. I'm not ready for the beach just yet.

Well... it's not a mag:

On the east side, the county road is paved and dotted with potholes and waffled jackrabbits. In mid-day, one can eat a sandwich sitting in the middle of the asphalt and not be disturbed by traffic. Ranches are scattered along the road, but you’ll get sore feet walking between them. Unlike the Pines, most of these ranches are second and third-generation family operations run on shoestrings and recycled baling twine. There are no bunkhouses or cook shacks filled with cowboys like in the movies. Occasionally you’ll find a Hispanic helping with the irrigation and haying. The road on the west side is called the Custer County Road. It turns from pavement to dirt about halfway up the valley and is even lonelier than the road on the Lemhi County side.

I had hitched my personal camp trailer to my unmarked state-issued pickup truck. The little teardrop-shaped camper is a bed-on-wheels that’s just tall enough to crawl into and lay on the mattress. There’s a hatch in the back which opens like a car’s trunk and exposes a small kitchen. Since the trailer is only five feet tall, it’s the perfect rig to stash in the brush. For work trips, I’d nicknamed it my One-Man Mobile Command Post.

My job as a...

But it does have this tiny camp scene in it. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Highly recommend Tony's books, they're good & entertaining.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dahlia47 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:20 pm

:frightened: Where can I read the rest???
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:16 pm

Dahlia47 wrote::frightened: Where can I read the rest???

Deep in the Amazon Jungle. :frightened:

https://www.amazon.com/Tony-H-Latham/e/B001KD9FP2?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1&qid=1588129288&sr=1-1

Click on any of the covers and you can read several pages. Most of them are available on Audible as audiobooks.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu May 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Dahlia47 wrote:Does anyone subscribe to any good magazines about traveling, hiking, biking, climbing, travel trailers, RVing? I see a lot of mags out there, but I am not really sure about the consistency and quality of their recommendations of places and articles.

After Tony's books (which I'll also highly recommend), a classic from the "back to nature movement" of the 1970's is Dick Proenneke's "One Man's Wilderness" (about midway down the web page):

http://www.dickproenneke.com/

The videos are also very good. "Alone in the Wilderness" was shown on many PBS stations in the early 2000's (and, incidentally, inspired me to get out of Los Angeles and back to a more rural area). The book and that video are the story of Dick Proenneke, who retired in his early 50's, went to a rural part of Alaska (now Lake Clark NP), built a cabin, and spent a Winter there.

If you really get into it, some of Proenneke's journals have been re-edited with more detail, and can be found on-line as well. But "One Man's Wilderness" is more readable.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to General Discussion