What size flexiride axle?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby alaska teardrop » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:36 pm

Thanks, Don. Good job. Apparently the spline doesn't have a groove in it to match the pinch bolt? Can you give us an exact measurement from the hub face to the back of the swing arm?
Fred :peace:
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby d-hartman » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:51 pm

Guys

I only assumed that it being on the spline it could be tweaked.There is a saying about that. But if you look at the photo it does look as if the bold would have to be in a groove in the shaft as Madjack mentioned.

I can get some more detailed dimensions on sunday afternoon.

Did you look at my Pics?

Hope I did not confuse anyone.

Don
d-hartman
Teardrop Inspector

axle size

Postby KA » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:02 am

Hi All,
I think I have a plan. I want a 5 X 8 Benroy profile teardrop with overhanging sides, 15 inch wheels and a flexiride axle and a drop floor dinette. I think I'll shop for the wheels (zero offset)at our local Pick-a-Part. Then I'll buy some tires and have them mounted. Then, tape measure in hand I'll double check my measurements and probably order a 74 inch wide axle. I won't cut any steel until the axle comes and will then make the width of the trailer work for the axle. It should be close with the 74 inch width from what I read on the forum. I think I can wrap my brain around this type of process. I'll take my full-size profile with me to the welder to double check that I have the cross-pieces in a good spot for the drop floor.
This feels like progress thanks to all of you.
Kris :thumbsup:
KA
Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:21 am

d-hartman wrote:Guys

I only assumed that it being on the spline it could be tweaked.There is a saying about that. But if you look at the photo it does look as if the bold would have to be in a groove in the shaft as Madjack mentioned.

I can get some more detailed dimensions on sunday afternoon.

Did you look at my Pics?

Hope I did not confuse anyone.

Don
    Don, I have looked at your pics. The reason the I asked about the dimension from hub face to the back (inside) of the swing arm is that it looks like it may be less than the 6.06" that I was led to believe. Or that your frame is less than 60" wide.
    BTW. You have a unique tongue design.
    Fred :peace:
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby angib » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:30 am

I think the first thing to get clear here is what the axle looks like if you order it with a different overhang - which is the same thing as ordering it with a bigger hubface dimensions but the same width-over-brackets dimension.

At the risk of making Ira laugh, I've badly photoshopped Don's photo to show what more overhang looks like:

The axle tube gets longer, so the spindle and the suspension arm all more outwards.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:24 am

d-hartman wrote:I got a 2000# with frame outside dimensions of 60" and a hub face to hub face dimension of 73-1/2 .I bought 2 15" wheels with 0 offset and have also purchesed two p205-75-r15 tires.

So that we can all understand what this is saying, I've drawn out Don's axle as best I can, using the drawing in the Flexiride data sheet:

Andrew

(Edited from Don's measurements below.)
Last edited by angib on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby KA » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:20 am

Hi All,
What do you think is a large enough clearance between the swing arm and the frame bracket?
Thanks.
KA
KA
Donating Member

Postby Cary Winch » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:05 pm

Kris,

One thing to keep in mind when getting that hub to hub dimension is your fender width. If you get out too far you will likely have trouble getting a fender that won't cut the tire. You may want to have your fenders in hand prior to ordering the axle. Looking at DAs axle he will have run a pretty wide fender I see unless is wall is pretty thick.

One our 5 wide trailers with a 3/4" thick wall overhung the frame we have a outside dimension of 58" and a hub to hub of 70.37".

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

axle width

Postby KA » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:03 pm

Hi Carey,
Thanks for the warning about the fender widths. There is certainly a lot to think about.

Kris :thinking:
KA
Donating Member

Postby d-hartman » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:23 pm

Andrew , Fred ,

The length from hubface to the inside of my torsion arm is 5-9/16" and the space between my torsion arm is about 3/8 ".
The total tube length is 61-3/4".

2(5.5625)+2(.375)+61.750=73.625

I ordered a 73.5 hub to hub so I am within a 1/8" of that. :thumbsup:

Andrew now I know why people paint their name on their pictures.Nice photo adjustment. Can you help me loose forty pounds !!!!!! 8)

Cary ,

It would help us all if you told us your wheel/tire size.
Also the way you mount your fenders,On the sidewall ,on the axle brake flange,On the sidwall with standoffs ... ??? :thinking:

Don
d-hartman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KA » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:23 pm

Thanks, Don, for taking and posting those measurements and thanks, Andrew, for the picture. I'm understanding the chassis/axle process now much better than I did a couple of weeks ago. Just reading through all of the former posts didn't make a whole lot of sense to me before these last few posts and pictures. Now, I'm starting to get it.
:worship: :)
So, now my process has evolved to: select and order the fenders for my 15 inch wheels, decide the width of my overhanging siding, buy the zero-offset wheels and tires, measure, measure, measure and bravely call in my axle order. Then, I'll measure some more with profile in hand to figure out axle placement, buy the steel, and cut and weld. It is great to have other people's measurements to check against what I come up with. (I am mechanically insecure) Phew!

Thanks again. :)
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby Cary Winch » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:30 am

Don,

Good point. We use 14"x 6" wheels. The tires are either P19070R14 or P21575R14. The larger one is for the SUV off road option and is about as close as one should go.

The fenders is bolted right on the side wall and is 9 1/2" wide. That is the narrowist it can be for the larger size tire. It clears the P190 with lots of room.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby angib » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:12 am

Don,

Thanks for those measurements - it turns out scaling from the drawings was reasonably accurate!

I'm concerned that anyone reading this thread might assume the drawing above showed the clearance they will always get with a Flexiride axle. So here is a drawing of the same setup, but with minimum overhang - the hubface is reduced to 72.25" as a result.

So anything hanging more than 1/2" past the frame is going to get hit by the suspension arm.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby waxtracker » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:07 am

Hi all. Just jumping in here and making a post by another one of those dang newbies trying to figure out this stuff. This has been one of the best discussions I've read on this type axle. Great examples!!

Going by what what I see on this last drawing, if you used a 10" fender, you would have to probably use a half-inch or so spacer to get enough clearance? What would any of you suggest for clearance from the outside of the tire to the fender outside edge or should you just center the fender and measure for spacers?

I am planning a 5 foot wide trailer using the type frame Homeroast posted where the angle is welded flat-side down. I don't plan at this stage to have any side overhang so this drawing should be what I'm looking for.

Kerry
Groves, TX
Just beginning to think these things out!
waxtracker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:17 am

waxtracker wrote:Going by what what I see on this last drawing, if you used a 10" fender, you would have to probably use a half-inch or so spacer to get enough clearance? What would any of you suggest for clearance from the outside of the tire to the fender outside edge or should you just center the fender and measure for spacers?
Kerry
Groves, TX

That is pretty much a judgement call on your part depending on how you want it to look. But check your local laws because I know in PA your fender has to cover the tread regardless of how far out the sidewall sticks beyond it. But all states have their own particular laws on that stuff.
A lot depends on the size tire you use too, I have 235/75/15's on mine with a ten inch fender and I had to space it out a half inch to cover the tread.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets