CHECK YOUR GARAGE

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: CHECK YOUR GARAGE

Postby printer » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:03 pm

Check first, I doubt anyone short of masks will rather do without than look down their nose at a N-95 or N-100 (even better, rated for asbestos where the N-95 isn't). N-95 is what we use in isolation cases. I can see them wanting sealed boxes from regular sources if they are going into a room where they are also protecting the patient from infection, such as a burn patient. But as protection from a co-virus case I would take it as compared to the makeshift stories I am hearing. I spent ten years in a major hospital and one of the things I did was to make sure the isolation rooms were operating correctly. N-95's are what we use.
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby MickinOz » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:34 am

I work at a lead smelter. We recently decided to address certain workplace hygiene concerns by going to rubber masks with P3 protection.
My company recently donated a stack of disposable 3M P2 masks to the local Country Fire Service.
The CFS are volunteers and, although the service gets Government funding, this summer's incredible bushfire season put a serious dent in PPE supplies; so it was good to see.
Having said that, right now I'm hoping we kept a few disposable masks.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby frizzen » Wed May 06, 2020 8:34 pm

Not an expert, just been trying to keep informed while stuck being 'essential'. Hope your vacations are going ok.

Virus is smaller than the holes in most masks filtering.
You aren't stopping an Airborne virus though, this one travels on Droplets that travel through the air. Remember seeing your breath on a cold day as it turns to fog? Those are the type droplets you're stopping.

The make-shift, dust mask, and surgical masks are more about keeping a contagious person from spreading as much, instead of protecting the wearer. Plus the soft masks can't even get a good seal even if the filter actually did that much. Think of it more as a Buffet sneeze-guard.

Some make shift mask are using certain materials as filters which come closer to filtering like the n95, i believe the blue shop towels came closest in performance. Doesn't have electrostatic charge or any of the other filtering awesomeness.

An N95 rated mask will stop the droplets the virus travels on.
A P-100 rated mask will stop the droplets the vires travels on.

A mask with an outflow valve is much more comfortable to wear, it seals better, is cooler, drier... doesn't protect anyone at all From You. But YOU are safer from them.

Most respirator cartriges use a pre-filter that's rated p100 to keep the filter media clean longer. These are awesome if you've got one. But they're heavy, hot, and suck to wear more than a couple hours. Fit matters! Do your positive & negative pressure checks putting on

If you need to reuse a disposable mask, while doing your decontamination put it in ziplock bag and seal, write wear date on bag. Don't open bag or reuse until after time elapsed will have killed virus!

Wash hands a LOT.
Don't touch stuff.
Your eyes are a great way to get it, grab some glasses or goggles too.
Stop touching that!
Pretend the world is coated in Anti-sieze, or Rusty Grease. Remember when scratching that minor eye itch turned into blindly getting to the bathroom using braille while in pain so you could wash that out of your eye? Like that, but it also wants to kill you, and everyone you love.

A mask is useless if it's under your nose.
A mask is useless if it's not on your mouth either.
My build log, 1/14 scale

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70784
frizzen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu May 07, 2020 3:29 am

Dear Folks, We’ve been using a Shop towel mask, using HF mask parts and alligator clips … Disposable ( recycle) , no bleach washing , and we’ve been using it for a while now ( wife and I ) , still here ( fingers crossed ) . It’s been said ( somewhere) that shop towels are more efficient than cloth … And it’s comfortable !!!
Attachments
paper mask .jpg
paper mask .jpg (100.74 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Thu May 07, 2020 11:17 am

Even though a mask only lowers the chance of getting the virus to 20% and hand washing lowers to 20% and distancing lowers the chance to 20%. Do all three and you get .2 x .2 x .2 = .008 or less than 1% of catching the virus.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri May 08, 2020 5:01 am

:thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby kmack67.km » Fri May 08, 2020 9:38 am

Tomterrific wrote:Even though a mask only lowers the chance of getting the virus to 20% and hand washing lowers to 20% and distancing lowers the chance to 20%. Do all three and you get .2 x .2 x .2 = .008 or less than 1% of catching the virus.

Tt

This article makes that point exactly https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/saving-y ... tt-md-phd/ It's an interesting read from a guy that should know what he's talking about.

Keep well,
Kevin
kmack67.km
Teardrop Advisor

Postby noseoil » Sun May 10, 2020 7:36 am

Covid-19 virus particle is 0.1 micron & a well fitting N95 mask stops .3 microns, mine doesn't stop $hit, but it's plenty good for our state regulations, go figure...

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JazzVinyl » Sun May 10, 2020 8:50 am

[quote="noseoil"]Covid-19 virus particle is 0.1 micron & a well fitting N95 mask stops .3 microns, mine doesn't stop $hit, but it's plenty good for our state regulations, go figure...

[album]161975[/album][/quote]

And certainly looks like it will aid in social distancing!!
JazzVinyl
Teardrop Master

Postby Cosmo » Sun May 10, 2020 9:12 am

I found this article informative.

https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covid19 ... 8SqQGcd9FE

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Modstock » Thu May 28, 2020 10:20 pm

Today I just noticed I had 2 N95 masks in my toolbox next to the sockets.
I must have been in this drawer a thousand times during the shutdown.
Never even noticed em.

Tunnel vision, must finish project .

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pinstriper » Fri May 29, 2020 10:30 am

Modstock wrote:Today I just noticed I had 2 N95 masks in my toolbox next to the sockets.
I must have been in this drawer a thousand times during the shutdown.
Never even noticed em.

Tunnel vision, must finish project .

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Socket fairy musta taken one and left you the masks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Sat May 30, 2020 11:49 pm

haven't worn face mask yet (at least not since retiring 4 years ago) don't even have one and will not be making one - if a business says I have to wear one, will be going to a different business....that or they better provide one. Am single living on a 'dead end' island and have been staying home for the most part. When in public, I just stay away from people like I have done almost half my life when working. When you work in a prison, it becomes 'habit' after 30 years or so to just keep the distance and watch who gets close. Old habits are hard to break even after leaving there. (never did like wearing them the times I had too...…) Take care and just do what you can to stay & feel safe ... (age 66 now with pacemaker & triple bypass = prime candidate :thinking: )
gudmund
500 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion