Stabilizer choices

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Stabilizer choices

Postby MatBirch » Wed May 27, 2020 1:30 pm

I have a used set of 4 of these guys that I originally installed on my wife’s cupcake trailer. They did ok, but she really needed the ability to lift and adjust to account for uneven terrain quickly and in place, no jockeying... I replaced them with large scissor jacks.

Anyway, curious for opinions of just using these, VS a diy “Valterra” type setup? The Valterra seems quick and easy, easier to build a set or two, than crawling around under the trailer, grinding undercoat and paint, and then fabbing up brackets for the metal ones.

Thoughts? Experiences?
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Stabilizer choices

Postby mary and bob » Wed May 27, 2020 4:45 pm

As the title of your post says, they are "Stabilizers" not leveling devices. Any camper should be leveled side to side at the wheels, then front to back with the tongue jack, then the stabilizers deployed, whether they are the Atwood type or the scissors type. For side to side leveling I have always used short boards because I have plenty. Just recently bought a set of the plastic lego blocks.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby Modstock » Wed May 27, 2020 5:16 pm

I just bring a small bottle jack and 2x4's with me and put it at the corner that needs to go up. I rarely use it.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Wed May 27, 2020 7:01 pm

The telescoping Atwood jacks are the worst IMHO. They get stuck a lot and they pinch like the dickens. I switched to BAL jacks and they're much better. They don't pinch and they're more stable.

Amazon Linky

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed May 27, 2020 7:55 pm

I agree with Bruce about telescoping jacks. I also do not like crawling under trailer to swing them out. So overall I do not like the design and fiddling with it and I am also looking for alternatives and BAL design looks like a better one, but not sure how to switch from telescoping to BAL.

Bruce, did you have telescoping ones and switched to BAL? Will I need to weld more steel members to frame or can I re-use the same gussets I already have from these telescoping jacks?

BTW, there are a lot of videos about low cost solution with two 2x4s positioned at ~45 degree angle a ratchet strap under the camper between them which is basically a homemade version of Valterra stabilizer. I might give it a try and see how it works as an alternative to telescoping jacks. They look something like this (image is from trailerlife.com website):
Last edited by OP827 on Wed May 27, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby MatBirch » Wed May 27, 2020 9:55 pm

mary and bob wrote:As the title of your post says, they are "Stabilizers" not leveling devices. .

Exactly why I have them now, lol. The cupcake trailer needs to be “leveled” in place, and needs to be done very quickly. She’s always dealing with a bunch of other vendors, food trucks, etc also rushing to set up. She doesn’t have the luxury of pulling up on blocks and trying to find the best spot. I know the scissor type aren’t for lifting either, but I bought four of the 2 ton ones and they work very well for her. I gave her my old 18v impactor to run them quickly. It also makes easy work of a failed harbor freight axle...

For this project, I need stabilizers. I just need to decide which type. I have the telescoping so no money, I also have enough material to build either wood, steel or aluminum if I go with the Valterra type.

Or buy something else...
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Thu May 28, 2020 1:53 pm

OP827 wrote:I
Bruce, did you have telescoping ones and switched to BAL? Will I need to weld more steel members to frame or can I re-use the same gussets I already have from these telescoping jacks?

I had the Atwood jacks on the teardrop and switched to BAL when I built the second trailer. You're probably going to have to weld some steel to your frame to make the conversion to BAL.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Thu May 28, 2020 6:33 pm

For those folks that have fun on the cheap, go to a junk yard and pick up a couple of car jacks for $10 each. Be sure to get the lug wrench and it might fit the lugs on your hubs!

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby OP827 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:26 pm

I made 2 sets of these DIY ~45 degree 2x4s with ratchet straps stabilisers I mentioned above and they work GREAT, a way better than my telescoping stabilisers. The trailer is basically rock solid when 2 sets are setup. I think I will use them instead of the telescoping stabilisers I already have because they just work and actually are easier to setup.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:55 am

my trailer came with the stabilizer's seen here - at first I wasn't crazy about them, but once i figured out how they worked = am fine with them now. I level the trailer out front to rear when parking, than after unhooking the trailer, I drop the front down just a bit low - I than lower the rear stabilizer jacks, foot pressing them to the ground. Than I jack up the front to level (with a-lot of the time too 'just' a touch above level) which !firmly! im-beds/plants the stabilizer's pads "to/into" the ground. To release them, i just lower the front thus loosening them from the ground, Works just fine - and as far as damaging them? They are one of the most affordable $set's$ to replace if need be. (Have yet to have had a need to replace them) The weight stat's for them are 1000lb capacity for the pair. (PS; I have watched one of our members in our trailer group - numerus times - lift his whole trailer, literally a foot off the ground using these when camping with he/wife sleeping over nite in it when parked this way)
gudmund
500 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:40 am

bdosborn wrote:The telescoping Atwood jacks are the worst IMHO. They get stuck a lot and they pinch like the dickens. I switched to BAL jacks and they're much better. They don't pinch and they're more stable.

Amazon Linky

Bruce

On my commercial trailer I switched to BAL scizzor jacks and if these are made as well they should be great! I'm headed towards these this time.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby LittleDixie » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:10 am

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I have used these for a couple years. Very light weight, and the screw/nut, and the base separate, so all the bases nest together. I made little pads for them to sit on so they don't sink in if the ground is soft.

LittleDixie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DoctahDeane » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:10 am

I wonder how many people spend a lot of time going left to right vs. simply front to back? Mine drops naturally down in front (tongue) so yes, I can crank it up to level but the existing crank is a little weak - I can replace that, I suppose.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:23 am

I use the tongue jack to level front to back and blocks under the wheels to level side-to-side.
https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-00015-Lynx-Levelers-Pack/dp/B0028PJ10K

I cut one of my lynx in half, you'll think that's awesome once you've used them. :D

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:37 am

bdosborn wrote:I use the tongue jack to level front to back and blocks under the wheels to level side-to-side.
https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-00015-Lynx-Levelers-Pack/dp/B0028PJ10K

I cut one of my lynx in half, you'll think that's awesome once you've used them. :D

Bruce

Ordered something very similar yesterday. This will be cool because if I use just on the left side (after a trip) I can drain my water tank. I guess that's called a "two-fer" Thanks for the reply
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Next

Return to General Discussion