carry on trailer vin sticker dillemma

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

carry on trailer vin sticker dillemma

Postby saltydawg » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:20 pm

Okay I have a 5x8 carry on trailer that my boss gave me ( never reg in my name I have the title ), its bent and needs minor repair. I maybe doing a large tear drop so I would need to modify the frame, Its a mesh deck with rails. Including the tongue due to it being bolted on and not very steady right now. The interesting issue is the vin sticker is 100% faded, so no way to get it inspected with out the vin sticker. So I called carry on they will send out a new vin sticker to address on the title, no issue there as I talked to the boss and he is giving me a copy of his drivers license to send to them with a pic of the title.

So I will have a trailer that needs repair and modding with a new vin sticker in hand. I could completely rebuild the trailer, ie reuse the axle and nothing else and slap the sticker on the new tongue. I would need to fix ( read as weld it solid ) the tongue any way and fix a bent rail, and install a new tail light which I have already. Then get it inspected, then modify it.

Yes it is a dilemma of do I fix the trailer, slap the vin sticker on it. OR do I "fix" the trailer the slap the vin sticker on it.

what would you do
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Re: carry on trailer vin sticker dillemma

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 pm

I could completely rebuild the trailer, ie reuse the axle and nothing else and slap the sticker on the new tongue.

Then you'd have a DIY trailer with a ficticious VIN that would come back to a commercial trailer if somebody ran it.

In Idaho, I'd just go to the DMV and get it inspected as a new DIY and haver a proper VIN issued. Where are you at? Someplace that makes things difficult?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:08 pm

tony.latham wrote:Then you'd have a DIY trailer with a ficticious VIN that would come back to a commercial trailer if somebody ran it.

In Idaho, I'd just go to the DMV and get it inspected as a new DIY and haver a proper VIN issued. Where are you at? Someplace that makes things difficult?

Tony

I am in Maryland, not real hard to do a DIY trailer, but not super easy. Its a bunch of steps, first, request a vin using receipts to prove you built it and for tax value, then title, then inspect them tag. each one is a separate trip and fees.

Edit how much different is it to take a stock trailer and mod it. it is now not a commercially made trailer it is not as it was sold.
Last edited by saltydawg on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby working on it » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:09 pm

* My trailer was pure junk after sitting in the "swampy" area behind the backyard for 18 years. I had dragged it home from a swap meet where I had gotten it for $50, with only a bill of sale for documentation, and no tags. It came as no surprise to me that it had burnt out both wheel bearings during the 50 mile trip home. It had 8" wheels and a cracked/bent tongue, and only a 48" x 60" piece of holy plywood as decking. I sorta rebuilt it to give to a nephew to haul stuff at the ranch, but he declined the offer.
Photo059.jpg
starting point, day one ... twin bed frame shown for size comparison
Photo059.jpg (193.79 KiB) Viewed 2008 times

* So, it sat behind a shed for nearly 2 decades, and even the treated plywood and lumber I had attached (to make it usable) had mostly rotted away, too. Then came the day I took it to my friend's garage/shop/hotrodders' hangout, and started transforming it to a teardrop/squareback camper (I transported it there on my 18' car-hauler, as the 8" tires had rotted away, also).
extensions added.jpg
a lot was changed prior to this picture
extensions added.jpg (111.82 KiB) Viewed 2008 times

* After a lot of welding to make the 50"x 60" frame into 50"x 96", changing the hubs/bearings/wheels to a much better 14", adding a proper deck (3/4" thick, sealed and polyurethaned), and installing 3" square tubing as a replacement tongue, I went to the DMV to register it as an "utility trailer", so I could legally go weigh it (400 lbs, up from , 200 when first bought), without avoiding the police)...I had previously registered it just after I brought it home, but having torched off the VIN sticker when installing the new tongue, I registered it anew, as homebuilt.
Photo078.jpg
ready to use as 400 lb utility trailer
Photo078.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 2008 times

* Registration in Texas is easy, and since the trailer is under 4000 lbs, has no plumbing onboard, and still carries "cargo", the trailer retains a utility tag to this day (now much-altered/improved and 2200+ lbs). Depending where you live, how you intend to use it, and when you need to take it on the road,... all might affect your registration plans.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby saltydawg » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:19 pm

alsofrom what I read somewhere they want to see the receipt for the axle when you diy a trailer so they know you did not steal a trailer then try to register it as a diy.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby GTS225 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:59 am

Well, I have no idea how much an LEO might dig into a light trailer in Maryland while, perhaps, issuing a citation for a burned out taillight.
If it were me, I'd get the thing registered in my name, then go about making whatever "repairs" it needed, and put the sticker on the tongue. I would also stamp the number(s) into a frame rail, or even the axle.
("I lent the trailer to a relative, and got it back with a bent tongue, officer. The idiot must have jack-knifed it backing up") :(

I hardly think it'll come back to haunt you. Most trailer thefts are for something a bit more substantial.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby Squigie » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:30 am

I think the best three options are:
1. Stamp the VIN into the tongue and get it registered as-is. Then go on to modification and repair.
2. Fix and paint the tongue. Affix the new VIN sticker, and get it registered. Then proceed with your modifications and further repairs.
3. Repair and modify. Keep the title and VIN stickers. Once the frame is done and the trailer can be towed, get it registered. Talk to the DMV about how they prefer to handle it - whether as a "home-built" or by sticking with the VIN that you already have.

I don't know about Maryland, but most states don't require a trailer to be taken to the DMV for inspection unless it's coming from out of state. You may be over-thinking this. It may just be a matter of paperwork and a DMV visit, while the trailer rests peacefully at home and the VIN tag is a non-issue.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby saltydawg » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:15 am

yes we need to get it inspected, even if bought from someone in maryland it needs to be inspected everytime time it is sold and registered. If diy we need pics, and receipts for material so they can tax us on the value.

https://tagandtitleservices.com/service ... -trailers/
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:53 am

even if bought from someone in maryland it needs to be inspected

So if you use the old axle on the new frame, it'll still be inspected, right? What are the odds that they catch the fact that this isn't the same trailer that the VIN was assigned to?
:thinking:

In Idaho, the inspections are to make sure it's not stolen.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:32 pm

tony.latham wrote:
So if you use the old axle on the new frame, it'll still be inspected, right? What are the odds that they catch the fact that this isn't the same trailer that the VIN was assigned to?
:thinking:

In Idaho, the inspections are to make sure it's not stolen.

T

The inspections are not done by MVA, they are done by approved auto shops or for things like trailers I think most cops can do them. For trailers they look for things like lights working, vin verification, not damaged, road safe etc. So I dont think a shop would notice as long as its not obvious, like the sticker saying 5x8 and it being a 6 x 10. They are just looking for safety stuff.

My plan is most likely to repair the trailer and that includes new steel where needed or wanted to strengthen it, including the tongue. There will be some of the old trailer including the axle left, even if I just use old trailer for metal.

This is the trailer model

https://www.carry-ontrailer.com/utility-trailers/5x8g/
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby GTS225 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:48 pm

I'll tell you now; I have almost that exact trailer, in stock utility form, and that tongue desperately needs to be extended back to at least the third crossmember from the front of the frame. (The very front crossmember being number 1.) The thickness and stiffness of the steel used just isn't rigid enough to do what 's needed.
Boxing the remains of the frame, I think, would be sufficient for the strength needed.
That being said, I'm just an "eyeball engineer", and have no formal schooling on the subject.

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby Aaron Coffee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:42 am

My second teardrop is built on a carry on bolt together trailer, I replaced most all of it except three crossmembers and the spring and axles, I had already had the trailer licensed, when I replaced the tongue, rather than mess with the VIN sticker, I went to an engraver place in the mall and had them engrave a small plaque with the VIN, then rivited it to the tongue.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion