Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0TD V-PKG

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Re: Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0TD V-PKG

Postby PCO6 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:31 pm

dogcatcher wrote:Thank you very much for all the detailed info about your improvements. I am super impressed and have saved this link for future reference.

Thanks dogcatcher. My wife convinced me that we needed this trailer and she was absolutely right. It's been a fun trailer to camp with together and I think it's made as many friends along the way as we have! I still get out on my own with the trailer in my signature below. It's the one I go fishing with. That's a recent hobby and I love it but I'm so bad at it that I can't wait to get home and get back to work in my garage. :lol:
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby druryjon » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:59 am

Hello all,

Currently towing a 2020 Coachmen Clipper Express (w/ V-Pkg) with my 2015 Wrangler JK. Have thoroughly enjoyed camping through the relative flatlands of Western Michigan (where I live) this summer.

However, I'm planning a trip to Colorado and was wondering if anyone else had taken their Clipper into the mountains with a 2 door Wrangler? Trying to confirm my towing set up will perform in the higher elevations, etc...

Thanks in advance :beer:

IMG_2640.JPG
IMG_2640.JPG (81.62 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
druryjon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BURNSIDE468 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:45 am

Hello Druryjon,

Nice looking setup. Here in the Southeast I don't make it to many mountains. There are some mountain people here that can help.

We have enjoyed our Viking C-Pkg as well, good luck!
BURNSIDE468
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dergrah » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:50 pm

Howdy Folks,

Starting my Clipper 9.0 modification program. It's a shame that this thing isn't spec'ed out a bit better. Build quality is also lower than I expected.

The AC fridge is out and is the Air Con. ( I can't believe AC was just left to bounce around in the opening). I have Dometic 12V DC fridge to install and 220 Watts of solar. Next year I'll put in a lithium battery under the bed. I'd like to install the new electrical under the bed. I have two flexible solar panels that are going to be installed on the roof. They are 4 LBS each so I don't anticipate any issues with the weight. I need to being the power in to the unit and am thinking the side near the top where the roof hinge is. There is a stud in the wall beside the window and I'm thinking I can put a hole in the first layer of the wall sandwich and fish the cables down the wall.

Does anyone know if the walls are hollow? I could look at the solar on the side port but I don't think the wire is sized for 220W.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Cheers,

Derek in Canmore Alberta
dergrah
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dergrah » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:07 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dergrah
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:38 am

dergrah wrote:Howdy Folks,

"Starting my Clipper 9.0 modification program. It's a shame that this thing isn't spec'ed out a bit better. Build quality is also lower than I expected."

"Does anyone know if the walls are hollow? I could look at the solar on the side port but I don't think the wire is sized for 220W."

Cheers,

Derek in Canmore Alberta

Nice looking "Catalina". I've seen that name before but still don't know why they use "Clipper", "Viking" and "Catalina". :shrug:

The build quality and some of the materials could definitely be better. The cabinets are terrible. I didn't have problems with a loose AC though. Parts of it were glued in and it was actually hard to remove. We bought ours because the concept suited us. You'll enjoy modifying it and there's a lot that can be done with them. I figured I'd use ours and possibly make a more sturdy version of it some day. If I ever clear up all of my other projects that might happen ... one day.

The walls are definitely hollow. I've tapped on it as much as I can and I don't think there's one place where the walls are skinned over plywood. The possible exception might be the side walls over the windows but only at the top. I mounted the roof rack I made at this point and the lag screws I used bit really well. Most of the area over the windows is hollow though; I'm about to install some vents there and will provide some pics. I've drilled several holes through one skin or both and have fished wiring through various areas. There's lots of "hollow opportunities".
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby druryjon » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi all,

Posted earlier about towing with my Jeep thru Colorado. All went well, already looking forward to getting back to the mountains. 8)

Cheers,
Jon
Attachments
99DA7797-F648-4381-B695-AF29359CCC74.jpeg
99DA7797-F648-4381-B695-AF29359CCC74.jpeg (88.26 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
druryjon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BURNSIDE468 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:35 am

That's good to hear. That pic is making me antsy to go. Fall can't get here soon enough!
BURNSIDE468
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mike 1953 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:44 pm

I have he 2020 Viking 9.0 V Pkg. Wondering f anyone can help me. My battery isn't holding a charge after being plugged in. Nothing running inside. The only thing is the radio showing the time. Also I'm getting water pooling just inside the door about 6 inches in. Cannot find any wet areas around the fabric or above where the roof meets the fabric. Thoughts.
Mike 1953
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mike 1953 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:36 pm

How did you remove the fridge?
Mike 1953
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:01 am

Mike 1953 wrote:How did you remove the fridge?

I can't remember the details but I started by removing the vent panel from the exterior wall so I could see the back of the fridge. I later converted the panel into a pass through door by adding some hinges and a lock to it. I think screws (2 to 4) came through the floor from the underside of the trailer and into the bottom metal frame of the fridge. There might have been a few other screws but the whole job didn't take long and and the fridge pulled out pretty easily.

There's a lot going on in this area. I removed the panel between the fridge and the 30 amp electrical cord (and later built a more sturdy one) and shortened the cord. I installed a 12V water pump in this area. Removing the fridge alone frees up a lot of space and if you don't need it or want to put another one in like BURNSIDE468 did (a 12V) it's well worth the effort.

I'm not sure if I can help with your electrical problem. It sounds like your battery is charging but not holding the charge. It's likely there's a drain some where (although you say nothing is "on") or possible that the battery is faulty. The one that came with mine wasn't the best quality.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike 1953 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:13 pm

I'm looking at installing a solar panel in the luggage roof rack. If I connect it to the exterior SAE plug there is no simple way to keep the wires steady while traveling. Don't really want to start drilling holes to secure the wires.
Mike 1953
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mike 1953 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:16 pm

I found that I had left the water pump in the on position. The red switch isn't working. There is water in the tank. Looks like it was drawing some current, how I don't know. The battery is now holding a charge of 12.26V.
Mike 1953
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BURNSIDE468 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:05 am

My fridge was only secured with 2 screws thru the bottom support bracket directly into the flooring.
BURNSIDE468
Teardrop Inspector

Postby comptech25 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:30 pm

Thank you everyone for your input! It has been extremely educational. I have run into an issue that some may have run into themselves.
One morning on our last trip, it rained quite heavily. My wife and I figured it was no big deal and we’d just hang out in our Clipper until the rain slowed down. Suddenly, we noticed there was a lot of water on the counter on the fridge side. All of the windows were closed so that wasn’t it. I noticed there was a drip coming from the metal trim on the top of the wall. I followed the water up to the hinge and that’s when I noticed the small gap allowing the water to drip in. Pushing the fabric wall up to close the gap. When I checked from the outside, I noticed the rubber “gutter” piece was missing on that side. This seems like an easy fix but I want to be sure I get the right materials. What kind of rubber and adhesive is recommended?
Attachments
1EFF7894-2B1D-434C-A59A-12527215B79B.jpeg
1EFF7894-2B1D-434C-A59A-12527215B79B.jpeg (32.97 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
comptech25
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers