The Tilly Trailer Foamie Build

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

The Tilly Trailer Foamie Build

Postby lanne485 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:10 am

Hello all,

The beginning of this thread will be a repeat from my first post, "New foamie build.....and our first big mistake....", because I wanted to document our little project without the "mistake" in the title and start a build journal. My husband and I (we're Mike and Jessie) are building our very first foamie trailer and we're already a bit addicted to the whole process. This will be an incredibly simple squaredrop, nothing fancy right out of the gate, but already we have come up with different ideas that we will probably incorporate in the future. We decided not to add a galley to our first build because as a former Eagle Scout, my husband wants to make a good old fashioned scout patrol box for a kitchen. I think the nostalgia of using those brings back a lot of good memories and I'm on board with it.

***I also wanted to say a big THANK YOU for all of you that have been a part of this forum and have dedicated so much time to it, this opens up such an amazing world of opportunities for travel that might not otherwise be realized by some and we consider it a fantastic find!!***

First, we have a 2014 Chevy Impala with a 1,000lb. tow rating, so we searched and searched for viable, AFFORDABLE options for camping. Luckily I fell down an internet rabbit hole one day and came across foam teardrop builds and we've met our solution! After much deliberation, we decided to go with the 5'x8' Northern Tool trailer. My husband is 6'2", broad shouldered and doesn't want to feel terribly cramped. We have a lot of exploring to do of the Upper Peninsula in Michigan and we think this will be exactly what we want!

We thought long and hard about the shape and style and opted for something relatively simple. I made a small, to-scale model of what we were thinking so we could get an idea of cuts and how much supplies we would need. This has changed a little since we decided to put the door on the other side but everything else is the same.

We got everything calculated as best we could, borrowed my dad's truck, and headed to the store.

Following our drawings and our model, we got our cuts made.

The floor we made out of 4'x8' OSB, cut, fitted together and glued with construction adhesive. We then got our 2x2's in place and secured down.

Then, of course, I made a goof and asphalted the floor like a nerd instead of waiting until much, much later in the build. Don't know what I was thinking! Not only did this make things a little more complicated, be we also lost our big "table" surface to work on. Everything, and I do mean everything sticks to this stuff. It starts out OK when the weather is cooler in the morning, then by afternoon you feel like a dinosaur in a tar pit. Don't get me started on the smell. Lesson learned!

This past weekend I drew up plans for the wiley windows and started the build on those while Mike was at work, but I forgot to take photos, so I will add those to this on my next post.

Mike named our little creation the "Tilly Trailer" as Tilly has been a family nickname of mine since I was born. Don't know where it came from, but it sure has stuck! So here we are on our journey to making the Tilly Trailer road worthy and ready for exploring!

I welcome any and all recommendations, suggestions, critiques and kudos to keep us going. You guys are absolutely great!
Last edited by lanne485 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
lanne485
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The Tilly Trailer Foamie Build

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:28 am

Have you got the trailer yet? I know it costs a little more but northern tool has an aluminum one that's 90 pounds lighter which can then go to gear to haul in it for the tow rating on the impala.
Steve

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:25 pm

Cool. For future reference you can edit your first post (or any of your posts) by going in and hitting the edit button. You can edit the subject, too. Whatever the first post subject is will be the default (... but can be overwritten in follow on posts, too).

Just saying.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby lanne485 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:38 pm

Thank you KC! It's been awhile since I've been active on any kind of forum. That's helpful!
lanne485
Teardrop Inspector

The Tilly Trailer Foamie Build - Alternative to Hot Wire

Postby lanne485 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:31 am

Prior to starting the canvasing of our interior walls, we wanted to get the channels cut for the window and door frames. We've read about the hot wire and even attempted some of the suggested methods on here, but neither one of us were happy with our skills (it was bad). That and the smell was atrocious so we decided what the heck, let's try the router brace on one of the Dremels. Couldn't look any worse than the first attempts! We used the 1/8" multipurpose cutting bit, set our depth of 3/4", used a straight edge and cut our outlines (please ignore my ridiculous outfit).

Then we ran zigzags and a some straight cuts up the middle.

The foam broke right off and popped right out leaving a flat bottom! We were able to get everything done super fast with nice, straight edges. Only a few spots needing a little trimming down so the wood was flush with the foam which was quickly done with a box knife.

We are really pleased with the results, we had been a little worried about getting the hot wire cuts clean and smooth like we wanted them. Our wood frames set in like a glove and will need only a little filler and spackle for canvasing over. I was really surprised by how quickly it was done too, I had thought we were going to be hacking away at this stuff for ages but with the straight edge and the smaller sections, it was done and swept up in no time.

Next we are working on the door. You should probably pray for us...we hear this isn't an easy process!
lanne485
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lanne485 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:37 am

linuxmanxxx wrote:Have you got the trailer yet? I know it costs a little more but northern tool has an aluminum one that's 90 pounds lighter which can then go to gear to haul in it for the tow rating on the impala.
Steve

Hi Steve, we haven't gotten the trailer yet - we will be waiting until after the first of the year to snag that. I have been looking at their aluminum trailer and we've been thinking about it. The price point is our only concern, it is a little over $300 more than the other 5'x8'. We are going to wait and see how things are looking when that time comes around. I would rather go the aluminum route, but we have a daughter graduating this year and might not be able to swing it for this build!
lanne485
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ghcoe » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 pm

lanne485 wrote:
linuxmanxxx wrote:Have you got the trailer yet? I know it costs a little more but northern tool has an aluminum one that's 90 pounds lighter which can then go to gear to haul in it for the tow rating on the impala.
Steve

Hi Steve, we haven't gotten the trailer yet - we will be waiting until after the first of the year to snag that. I have been looking at their aluminum trailer and we've been thinking about it. The price point is our only concern, it is a little over $300 more than the other 5'x8'. We are going to wait and see how things are looking when that time comes around. I would rather go the aluminum route, but we have a daughter graduating this year and might not be able to swing it for this build!

Keep in mind, If you have to order, that the aluminum trailer has free shipping. The steel trailers you have to pay shipping. It is nearly a wash when you compare the two at that point. I have used Harbor Freight trailers and they work fine for foamies.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:35 pm

Northern Tool has their trailers on sale right now. Remember to check the shipping.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TimC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:33 am

NT trailers are also free shipping to store if there's one nearby. Just saved the shipping on the 5x8 steelie to Appleton, WI. Took about the same time that shipping an aluminum version shipped to home earlier this summer.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby lanne485 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:25 am

ghcoe wrote:Keep in mind, If you have to order, that the aluminum trailer has free shipping. The steel trailers you have to pay shipping. It is nearly a wash when you compare the two at that point. I have used Harbor Freight trailers and they work fine for foamies.

That's a good point I didn't consider. We may have to look into that some more. I really like the idea of going aluminum and I didn't think about shipping costs much.
lanne485
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Foamies