Choices for finish of tailer...go big or go easy?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Choices for finish of tailer...go big or go easy?

Postby jamorgan3777 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:00 pm

So I have my trailer frame mostly complete and am looking for suggestions on a finish. It is all new steel so options are unlimited. I dont have spray equipment so...

Option 1: Standard rattle can rustoleum primer (two coats) and then paint (two more coats). This would be easy and cheap, but I am afraid it will chip and let rust start.

Option 2: Any of the "two part" solutions like POR-15, Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, or Magnet Paints Chassis Saver. these seem like they would be bulletproof, but are much more time and expense. Im willing to put in the work and pay for a good solution, but not if its way overkill. Right now I am leaning toward the Eastwood rust encapsulator Original in black (so that I dont need to overcoat with black paint for UV protection).

Was wondering what others have done an what success/failure that resulted in.

Thanks!
jamorgan3777
Teardrop Builder

Re: Choices for finish of tailer...go big or go easy?

Postby saltydawg » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:29 pm

The rustoleum enamel in the 1 gallon cans is great paint, pretty darn tough for about 45 buck a gallon. It does not need primer, but I would do a phosphoric etch first. Thats cheap too, just use concrete etch diluted about 50% with water.

My frame I washed it down with purple power degreaser, then used the concrete etch after rinsing the purple power off. then let it dry and put on the rustoleum by brush and roller, two coats.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip ... /100406369
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:03 pm

What saltydog said! My frame was altered by adding diagonals from the frame forward. I just cleaned the metal real well, brushed on two coats Rustoleum satin black. Been 5 or 6 years so far. Looks great! No chipping, nothing!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby Philip » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:38 am

POR15 works best with a blasted surface.
Chassis saver paint only requires a wire brush and knock off the worst rust. Brush on and forget.

Chassis saver is cheaper than POR15. Results between the two brands are about the same if you follow MFG's recommended prep instructions.

I am not a fan of rattle can primer. If its clean steel. I just wipe down with acetone and paint.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby jamorgan3777 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:45 am

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Looks like some good surface prep and a can of Rust-Oleum Enamel in satin black will do the trick!
jamorgan3777
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets