HELP! broken grease fitting

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HELP! broken grease fitting

Postby TomS » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:12 pm

Hey folks!

I'm afraid that I may have really screwed up this time. We leave for our trip to North Meets Sough first thing Saturday morning. So, even though I cleaned and repacked my trailer bearings this spring, I picked up an el-cheapo grease gun on my way home from work today and decided to pump a little grease into my hubs before the trip. Just to be sure my hubs were well-lubed for the trip.

I started with my street side hub and put the gun on the fitting and started pumping away. After several pumps, I decided that it must be enough. When I pulled grease gun off I discovered to my horror that part of the grease fitting had pulled off and was stuck in the nozzle of the grease gun.

Here's the other part of the fitting still attached to the hub

I feel like such an idiot. Why the f&^# couldn't I have left well enough alone? OK, here are my questions.

1. Can I easily replace this grease fitting. If you look closely at the bottom photo you will see wrench flats on the bottom of the fitting where it meets the hub.

2. If I can't fix it, will do serious damage to my hubs if I tow the trailer from Mass. to Virginia and back like this?

I need your help. I'm in a real panic here.
:shock:
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:28 pm

Tom, I would try to remove it...either get a very small EZ-out or vice grips and try and remove it...if you wann leave it, try plugging with a small piece of wood or even an appropriate sized screw...you could probably run like that without problems, just check to make sure it isn't slinging grease out...I would try to remove and replace first or plug if that fails.... from Sears
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:35 pm

Thanks Jack,

Right after I posted my son came home. He told me that these things break all the time and are redily available at auto parts stores.

I just removed the old fitting from the hub with a small wrench. I removed the other half from the grease gun with vice grips. So now, I'm off to AutoZone for a replacement. If they're cheap I'll buy 2.

Some lessons we learn the HARD way. :x
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PaulC » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:37 pm

Ditto with MJ on this one, Tom. An Ezi-out would probably be the best bet with care.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:49 pm

Tom, I have broken a couple myself and it was never a big deal...glad you got it taken care of............ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:11 pm

Looks like that went from big to little prob in record time. Glad it's worked out okay Tom.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:51 pm

Glad you got it fixed. My opinion of those is the best thing you could have done is broke the other one off too. If your bearings are well greased there is no reason to ever have to fill your hub full of grease, it's just a waste of grease. JMNSHO
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:52 pm

Rich makes a good point...if you have grease fittings...either EZLube or buddy, beware of pumping too much grease thru the fitting as you can blow out or damage the rear seal...now you do have a PITA on your hands...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:10 pm

Nitetimes wrote:Glad you got it fixed. My opinion of those is the best thing you could have done is broke the other one off too. If your bearings are well greased there is no reason to ever have to fill your hub full of grease, it's just a waste of grease. JMNSHO

I got a replacement fitting and all is well.

I guess once in a while, I need to be reminded ...

If it ain't broke DON'T t fix it!

Thanks for your help guys.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets