Review my Dexter Order Please

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Review my Dexter Order Please

Postby Capebuild » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:02 pm

Hello,

Before I submit this to Dexter, I'd like to ask if anyone would help by reviewing this and making sure I've got all this figured correctly.
The chassis frame of my trailer will be made from 2x2 x 1/8" stock.... be 100 inches long and 59.5 inches wide for a 5 x10 trailer.
2 images attached.... of the trailer frame (which I don't have all the supporting members drawn in yet)... and the Dexter Torflex order form.

The 2 things I'm unsure of are the 2 brackets orientation and positioning (do they get welded to bottom of frame?) and the hub face dimension. I'd like to have about 2 inches
between the tires and the trailer housing. Hopefully that is "good".

Thank you very much for any feedback. Appreciate your help!!

John
Attachments
Torflex order .jpg
Torflex order .jpg (501.59 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
CHASSIS FRAME xxxxxx.jpg
CHASSIS FRAME xxxxxx.jpg (47.47 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Review my Dexter Order Please

Postby tony.latham » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:25 pm

That should be fine.

Make sure you install the axle using the axle stubs, not the cross-member as your 60/40. point.

The axle will come with the brackets bolted to it. You just tack the brackets in place, remove the axle, and have at it. But weld no more than about 3/4" and then stop and let it cool down or you'll warp the frame. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:31 pm

I would ditch the e z lube. It it too easy to get too much grease and has no real value unless you will be fording rivers with some regularity. Over greasing can be as damaging as not enough and adds a weak point in the axle. Many years ago some one that was part of this forum had an axle fail and looking at the photos it was clear that transverse hole was the point of failure. I would also add the brakes.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:46 am

+1 on Shadow Catcher's post.

Go with standard hubs and take the time to repack the bearings on a regular schedule. EZ lube hubs give a false sense of security. I've known a couple folks with EZ lube type hubs and after neglecting the bearings (inject grease, never inspect bearings) one discovered pitted/stained bearings from freeze/thaw cycles (boat trailer) and the other guy's bearings destroyed the retainers because he never inspected them and just assumed that injecting grease was the only maintenance needed (utility trailer).

Of course you can repack the bearings correctly with EZ Lube. EZ Lube type hubs don't exclude the ability to clean/inspect/repack bearings correctly. And always clean/inspect/repack bearings before major trips.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:57 am

I vote for the EZ-Lube axle. The system works. It doesn't over or under lube. It pushes the old grease out.

Some folks confuse them with Bearing Buddies. They are not the same.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:04 am

I've known a couple folks with EZ lube type hubs...

I think you are talking about Bearing Buddies that are press-fitted into the hubs. The EZ-Lube system is machined into the axle stub --not an add-on to the hub.

Bearing Buddy:

Two different systems.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:43 am

I think the EZlube option is a pretty good one. That's what I have on my trailer, and I think Dexter recommends greasing every 12,000 or annually. I give them a couple pumps every fall as my camping season ends....if you are losing grease, you will probably notice a mess during routine maintenance.

That said, for piece of mind, I still pull my hubs and clean, lube and adjust the bearings every so often (probably every three ears or so) just to check the condition. The Dexter hubs are pretty easy to work on. Seems to me...when I was first researching my build quite a while ago, there was some concern that Dexter axles (as well as Harbor Freight, and Northern Tractor for that matter) were coming out of the factory improperly greased causing early failures. I checked my axle when it was delivered just to be sure that I didn't have that problem. I don't know if that still occurs, but it might be worth pulling the grease caps just to make sure. Others may agree or disagree.
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:14 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I would ditch the e z lube. It it too easy to get too much grease and has no real value unless you will be fording rivers with some regularity. Over greasing can be as damaging as not enough and adds a weak point in the axle. Many years ago some one that was part of this forum had an axle fail and looking at the photos it was clear that transverse hole was the point of failure. I would also add the brakes.

If I remember correctly that axle broke right where the lube hole crossed the axle.
He hit a chuck hole on entering a rest stop and it fell apart on returning to the highway.
I think the trailer flipped on it's side and caused considerable damage.
To be fair it wasn't a Dexter axle but an axle company in the same town.

In 2015 it was only $80 extra for brakes, something you might consider.
When going down hill in Yosemite in 2016 we didn't have any issues because of our trailer brakes, but our friends with a lighter teardrop had their front tow vehicles brakes heat up and were smoking.
Funny he's the one that recommended that I get brakes. :thinking:
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Capebuild » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:26 pm

thanks for all the feedback. I definitely intend to get brakes... I was questioning whether a "parking brake" was needed/ necessary??
Thanks for the comments about the EZ lube.... I'd still consider that option, but would also do a typical maintenance, as well.

One other issue I'm trying to get my head around is the hub face dimension, as I have a feeling that's going to determine how much space (clearance) is
left between the tire and trailer cabin. I'm thinking 1.5 inches (on each side) is probably sufficient (any thoughts on that?)

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!!

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:02 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I've known a couple folks with EZ lube type hubs...

I think you are talking about Bearing Buddies that are press-fitted into the hubs....

Tony

Nope, I know the difference. The gist of my post is that bearings should be inspected as a matter of routine maintenance.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:52 pm

the talk here of bearing/axle failure (and whether it has brakes or not) brings too mind what I learned when buying my latest trailer a few years back. Had had the Dexter Torsion/EZ-lube hubs on my last trailer with no brakes (and yes, as I have said here before - I still miss it as far as how 'well' it's ride was. The trailer I have now came with leaf's - 3500 axle 'de-rated' with 2000lb springs. It has the EZ-lube type system along with trailer brakes this time - but it is all of the 'Rockwell' Brand this time (but than again it looks identical to Dexter & maybe?? was made by them??) What caught my attention was after the first couple trips, having not-ever knowing how they work? or what 'electric' brakes even look like? = my "curiosity" finally got the best of me, so I removed the drums one day for a 'look-see' and my attention was caught by finding the "larger'/bigger" inside wheel bearing being used. I ended up being 'so' glad I had looked, being the Dexter from before, had used the smaller-same sized bearings, "inside & out" (all 4 = same size bearing) and being I always carry extra's along with seals - just in case = I would have been in 'big' trouble if something had happened 'later on down the road' not having the right ones for later. When I spoke to 'my trailer guy' as I was buying the 'right' sized inside bearings/seals from him, he explained too me - that being mine has 10inch trailer brakes = it uses the larger inner bearing/seals which is why a 3500lb axle was chosen for use - by using a 'Heavier' Duty axle, you get to use a larger brake along with also getting the bigger-larger 'inner' bearings/seals. When using the lighter duty axle, you end up with the smaller inner bearings/seals, along with being able to 'only' use a 7inch trailer brakes setup. He also informed me that 10inch brakes, in the long run are $$$cheaper$$$ being they are more "common & easier" to find being they are used 'the most' by all of trailer company's so they end up being the most 'common' being carried in stock. (reminds me of the same thing when looking at buying a new propane tank - 5gal ='s $$ / any other size ='s $$$$$$!!!!!!.)
Now after reading here of how it has happened before along with looking at the Dexter axle/bearing 'drawing' seen here, I now could understand the 'chance' of seeing a axle break at the said 'lube' hole point being seen here, especially if there was an 'over weight load' being carried when using the lighter-duty rated axle - which now 'kind'a' makes me glad of having the 'heavier' rated one :thinking: Just something more to "think" about...............
gudmund
500 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:57 pm

Has anybody with the Dexter EZ lube system ever experienced grease leaking through the inner seal over time after pumping new grease into the zerk fitting?

An equipment manager with a fairly large fleet of vehicles, who I greatly respect, advised me to manually repack the bearings with grease the old fashioned way rather than just pumping in new grease. I cannot remember exactly what he said, but it might be that sometimes over time the old grease gets hardened in one of those EZ lube grease veins, with the result that when you try to pump in new grease, the hardened grease creates back pressure that blows grease out the rear seal.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:17 pm

gudmund wrote:...The trailer I have now came with leaf's - 3500 axle 'de-rated' with 2000lb springs. It has the EZ-lube type system along with trailer brakes this time - but it is all of the 'Rockwell' Brand this time (but than again it looks identical to Dexter & maybe?? was made by them??)
mine is also a 3500 lb axle (Dexter, 2014), "de-rated" to 3000 lbs, with $25-30 springs available anywhere, so I could change to lighter or heavier rating if needed, at any time; Rockwell American was bought by Dexter in 2016, by the way

...I always carry extra's (bearings) along with seals - just in case
I no longer do...since the parts are readily available in any average-sized town (my 25.25" eye-to-eye springs are also the most readily available sized springs)

...mine has 10inch trailer brakes = it uses the larger inner bearing/seals which is why a 3500lb axle was chosen for use - by using a 'Heavier' Duty axle, you get to use a larger brake along with also getting the bigger-larger 'inner' bearings/seals. When using the lighter duty axle, you end up with the smaller inner bearings/seals, along with being able to 'only' use a 7inch trailer brakes setup.
go big or go home...another good reason I chose a 3500 lb "leaf spring" axle

...10inch brakes, in the long run are $$$cheaper$$$ being they are more "common & easier" to find being they are used 'the most' by all of trailer company's so they end up being the most 'common' being carried in stock.
widespread availability, once again

...'kind'a' makes me glad of having the 'heavier' rated one
you 'betcha
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby gudmund » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:37 pm

as far as having grease pushing though the seal out the back side - yes, I have had it happen once after getting a new seal from NAPA. They didn't have the right part # so we sized one up = good looking fit, so I went with it and about a year later, when under the trailer doing a look around - I happen to notice grease coming out on one side, seeing none on the other, than also found a bit of water under the rubber lube plug when I removed it. So I removed everything and when I got a new seal (right # this time) to replace the other, I noticed that the one I had put in from NAPA was a 'basic' looking rubber one with -NO- metal 'circler' back spring like the original one had had. Now always since, I made sure I get the -right- one with the 'circler' spring behind the rubber seal and have yet to see leaking grease/water again. Have also found out since, that the 'required' seal is suppose to have this 'circler' spring on the back side of the rubber seal...... :thinking:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:15 pm

Has anybody with the Dexter EZ lube system ever experienced grease leaking through the inner seal over time after pumping new grease into the zerk fitting?

I have not. I hit mine with a grease gun in the spring and the grease that comes out isn't wax-like. It looks and feels just like grease --but it's darker. I think if grease is becoming hard, it's probably been years since the axle has gotten any maintenance.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets