Bad hitch from uHaul?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby David Grason » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:13 am

Leon wrote:My motorhome hitch has play in it and when I tow the car carrier with a 2 ton vehicle on it, any sudden moves sound like the back half of the motorhome will fall off. I found an insert that was snug and after I left it in there too long, I had to beat it out with a maul. I'll live with some play.

I'm with Leon here. In my lawncare business, I'm towing trailers all day, everyday. Granted, my trucks have class V hitches on them but there's an amazing amount of slop that has never led to any mishaps whatsoever. But the noise can be quite annoying. However, the trade-off is that if everything was tightened up, the drawbar would and very easily could become rusted into the reciever and when this happens, it's a real bitch to remove it. A few years ago, we had one got frozen like that and we damaged it trying to get it loose bad enough that we just had to buy a new hitch. So, like Leon, I'll live with some play as well.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby sid » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:38 am

We had those little pieces of stick on velcro around the house.
Stuck a couple on each side of the draw bar.... no more rattle, easy in, easy out.

:cheerswine:
sid n side
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Finntec » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:03 am

We are back from our 10,000+ mile trip to Alaska. The part we ordered worked well. I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:26 am

R&D...glad to see ya back...just which one didja order and I sure hope you have a pic or two after 10,000mi to share with us
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby s4son » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:20 am

Ray,
Glad you had a good trip. Like Madjack, I would like to see some pics. Also, what device did you end up getting to stop the rattle? I may need to invest in one of those to.

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby Melvin » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:12 pm

The reciever on my Voyager is the flat bar style and it has an annoying amount of play. I did two things to help the situation. First I made a shim out of a hunk of sheet metal. Second I had another hole drilled into the drawbar to lessen the amount it stick out. This both reduced the noise and made the trailer easier to back up.

Leon wrote:My motorhome hitch has play in it and when I tow the car carrier with a 2 ton vehicle on it, any sudden moves sound like the back half of the motorhome will fall off. I found an insert that was snug and after I left it in there too long, I had to beat it out with a maul. I'll live with some play.

Most of the 2" stuff I've had has been fairly tight. After having to pound on a draw bar with a sledge for 20 minutes to remove it I've always just given the draw bars a slight coat of lithium grease before inserting. I've never had one stick since, even if left in for months. I've got the grease in my trailer kit anyways for lubing couplers.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Finntec » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:28 am

I'll have pics as soon as the photo lab gets them done. It might be a while though, we hope to leave for the North meets South Gathering Tuesday or Wednesday.

The device I used is the top one asianflava posted above from the source listed above.

(I need to relearn how to post pics in my posts)
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets