Do I try to use existing axles on my '47?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Do I try to use existing axles on my '47?

Postby cehigh » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:17 pm

I'm re-doing a '47 Modernaire that sat up for the last 25 years. The wheels turn and grease points are still there. I don't have any past experience w/ axles with exception to occasionally greasing on a popup we used to have.

Is it safe to use the old origional w/ fresh bearings and greasing? How do I explore this?
(':thinking:')
Thanks,
Craig
Austin, TX
cehigh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:45 pm

Craig, on something that age, I would pull the hubs, replace the rear seals and clean the bearings of old grease...if they appear OK, then do a repacking job and go have fun.........
madjack 8)

p.s. oh yeah, welcome to the board and don't forget the pictures...we luv 'em ya know......
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:12 pm

I'll repeat what madjack said, but add one test of my own. Look at where the old oil seal touched the spindle and then look at where the new oil seal touches. If you're lucky, the new seal touches on the shiny (or shinier!) bit of the spindle that was protected by the old seal. If the new seal is running on a corroded bit of the spindle, it won't last long and you need to sort it out before the grease runs out (and water/dirt runs in).

Bearings aren't particular about what they run on - providing the spindle is smooth enough to get them on, you're good to go - but seals want a really smooth surface. Things like (paste) chrome cleaner can do a decent job in removing light pitting - remember to scrape/rub/polish only around the spindle, and not along it.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Re: '47 axles

Postby cehigh » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:14 am

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll break it down this week and check them out. Have a great week!

Craig
cehigh
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets