trailer frame question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

trailer frame question

Postby duke » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:12 am

I want to modify a small boat trailer for my TTT build. Side rails are 1 x 2 tubing 14 ga or .083 thick I think, cross members are 2 x 2 x 1/8 angle. I need to lengthen the square part of the frame from 33" long to 78" long. Will the 1 x 2 tubing welded all around be strong enough at the joint between old and new? I was thinking about backing up the weld points with some 2" sheet inside, or 2 x 2 angle to act as mounting tabs for the floor. Thanx

Last edited by duke on Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure. - Mark Twain
Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:53 am

Duke...if it were me...I'd recheck the center line of the axle that you have indicated...it appears to be set back a bit too far...check some of Andrews specs on axle placement...just an idea...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:53 am

I would suggest chamfering the ends of the tube before welding them together, that will give you a good strong joint. Welding the angle to the inside would be a good idea too. Of course a piece of 1/8" plate 6" or so long on the outside wouldn't hurt either. Keep in mind your axle will be back there so getting a good splice is pretty important.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby duke » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:02 pm

doug hodder wrote:Duke...if it were me...I'd recheck the center line of the axle that you have indicated...it appears to be set back a bit too far...check some of Andrews specs on axle placement...just an idea...Doug

Doug...oops ya caught me....the sketch was a early one that was incorrect, the axle will sit just in front of the cross member, about 30 " from the rear....about 40% of body length
There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure. - Mark Twain
Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Postby duke » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Nitetimes wrote:I would suggest chamfering the ends of the tube before welding them together, that will give you a good strong joint. Welding the angle to the inside would be a good idea too. Of course a piece of 1/8" plate 6" or so long on the outside wouldn't hurt either. Keep in mind your axle will be back there so getting a good splice is pretty important.

this is what I love about this site, it makes you think.....moving the axle up into its correct position puts the front spring hanger about an inch from the splice of the original and new sections of the frame...i will have about 22" of 2 x 2 angle left from the 12' stick I bought to make the new crossmembers....an 8" piece welded on each side should make a nice brace for the tube weld and a support for the spring hanger....

my brother who used to weld for a living is going to be doing all the welding and giving me lessons...I get to do all the grinding and chamfering....

Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike Spicer » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:35 pm

Duke
Kind of looks like a Spectrum XLT detector???
But what did You find??
Mike
Home Built 4x10
Mike Spicer
Teardrop Builder

Postby duke » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:49 pm

Mike Spicer wrote:Duke
Kind of looks like a Spectrum XLT detector???
But what did You find??
Mike

Mike, I used to run an Eagle Spectrum and then an XLT Spectrum, now I have a Whites DFX and an MXT for land and a Fisher 1280 for the water...cool, i get to hijack my own thread to talk MD'ing.......LOL !!!!

I've found a few nice things but don't think I'll ever be able to top these I found in 2001:

Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Postby PresTx82 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:14 am

You found these? I envy you!

Holy sh*t, I haven't put the Metel detector to use in years. G*d, don't get me started..............! :shock:

The best I found was an old college ring which I kept for 20 years and finally found the original owner and returned it to him. Boy was he surprised!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Aaron » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:54 pm

was that a cache? or found seperate? i have been detecting since i was about 10. i have yet to find the gold coins lol. got some nice pieces of jewelry with my minelab excalibur 1000 though. its about paid for itself in a couple of trips! i want to build be a tear drop so i can haul gear into the back woods and pan/dredge gold.
Aaron
Teardrop Inspector

Postby duke » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:15 pm

Aaron wrote:was that a cache? or found seperate? i have been detecting since i was about 10. i have yet to find the gold coins lol. got some nice pieces of jewelry with my minelab excalibur 1000 though. its about paid for itself in a couple of trips! i want to build be a tear drop so i can haul gear into the back woods and pan/dredge gold.

Aaron,

it was a cache found on my lunchhour from work....a construction site where the city had bought 19 houses to tear down to make room for elderly apts. Six $20 double eagles; 1852, 1878s, 1880s, 1890s, 1891s, 1899 and a 1886s $5 half eagle.....all XF except the 1899 was AU.....1857 flying eagle penny was first coin I found at the site....

during the summer I jewelry hunt in the water with a fisher 1280, nine gold rings so far this year, dream about affording an excalibur.....building the TTT because I hunt fur trade artifacts from frost out in spring to freeze-up in fall in some remote areas in WI/MN/MI and it gets cooold............
Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:51 pm

outstanding. that is a TH'ers dream come true. i found a 58 flying eagle but it was in real bad shape barley read the date found it at an outlaw site among 5 or 6 1880-1890s indian heads. it has several holes bored into but not through it. i believe this outlaw used it as a map of sorts. i hunt relics along the mohawk river. relic hunting is failry new to me i fell in with a couple of guys who are hard core rev war relic hounds the neatest find so far is a fishing spear circa 1790s id post a pic but do not know how to on this forum. i am here learning about tead drops. there is much to learn!!!! i am frankly over whelmed so many possibilities. good luck keep up the great finds.

Aaron
Aaron
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:51 pm

outstanding. that is a TH'ers dream come true. i found a 58 flying eagle but it was in real bad shape barley read the date found it at an outlaw site among 5 or 6 1880-1890s indian heads. it has several holes bored into but not through it. i believe this outlaw used it as a map of sorts. i hunt relics along the mohawk river. relic hunting is failry new to me i fell in with a couple of guys who are hard core rev war relic hounds the neatest find so far is a fishing spear circa 1790s id post a pic but do not know how to on this forum. i am here learning about tead drops. there is much to learn!!!! i am frankly over whelmed so many possibilities. good luck keep up the great finds.

Aaron
Aaron
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets