Boat Trailer?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Boat Trailer?

Postby tekgrunt » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:58 pm

I have a 16' boat trailer and was wondering if anyboday had used such an item as the base for their TD? It is a nice galvanized trailer and it sure would make things easier (and cheaper) if I could use this.

I think I will probably use it anyway, but it would be reassuring to hear that someone else has already went down such a road.

Thanks in advance.
tekgrunt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:06 pm

I personally have not, but others here have.... It kind of just depends on if it is close to the right size for what you want....

Some us here are into chopping and cobbling. It is actually hard to make a trailer wrong. Tear Drop trailers are pretty light, generally.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby angib » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:12 pm

Christopher,

I think we've got only one member, Joanne, who has built on a boat trailer and I seem to remember that her conclusion was that it would have been easier to sell the boat trailer and start from scratch. Here is her build site.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Welcome tekgrunt
I used a boat trailer. Only mods were to remove the bunkers and change axles. The trailer was 48" wide, My tear is 60" I built it overhanging. You can see how I did it at my WWW. Do you have a pic ?
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby JIML1943 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:47 pm

I built mine on a boat trailer, not to many modifacations in my case any way. Remove bunks shorten tongue add cross bracing. mine is heavy but solid.
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby Joanne » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:08 pm

Hi Christopher!

As Andrew said, I started with a boat trailer and it has been a lot of work. I had a number of issues with my trailer. It was old and I have a hard time finding parts. It's built out of heavy channel iron so the frame ended up being heavy. It was wayyyy too long so I had to cut it up and reweld the entire frame. I ended up spending a lot of time rebuilding and refurbishing, or replacing all the parts.

That said, if your trailer doesn't have those issues it may be a good starting point. Being gavanized is good unless you need to weld on it. Then it can release toxic fumes.

Joanne

angib wrote:Christopher,

I think we've got only one member, Joanne, who has built on a boat trailer and I seem to remember that her conclusion was that it would have been easier to sell the boat trailer and start from scratch. Here is her build site.

Andrew
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby madjack » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:12 pm

Hey TEK, a number of folks have done so, the one thing I would add to the above is to pull the hubs apart and do a serious inspection and repacking of the bearings...I would also replace the rear seals and look for any sign of rust on the spindles....got any pics for us :D ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:21 pm

gpw built his on a boat trailer,dont think he had any problemsImage
JUDE ------- "Laissez les bons temps rouler. let the good times roll"
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby bg » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:19 am

Some of the older trailers made by 'Dilly' would be a perfect base for a 4x8 trailer. Probably be 13` long once you shorten the tongue.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:28 am

...another caveat is that many boat trailers are galvanized...very nasty stuff when welding...be carefull, make sure of adquated ventilation and use safety gear....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby tekgrunt » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:05 pm

WOW! Thanks for all the replies. I took another good look at the trailer and I am not sure it is right for the job... perhaps I will try and sell it, or trade it for one that is more appropriate. Although, I could be wrong. Let me know what you think... Image
tekgrunt
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets