5 X 10 solution?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

5 X 10 solution?

Postby Tripmaker » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:00 pm

I'm getting ready to jump into a build and have decided to make a 5 x 10 TD. I see that the RED and HF trailers are 5 x 8. Short of having a frame custom welded what are my options? I guess I would lean toward the Red 5 X 8, can this be extended to 10'? What have others done?
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:20 pm

Hey Tripmaker,

Andrew made several good points in favor of the Harbor Freight 5x8 trailer...

Several things to note from the trailer's product manual:

- The bed appears to be 95" long by 57-1/2" wide - so no cutting is required to overhang the sides over the frame.

- The side rails are in one piece - so no sacrificing a cross member to join them together.

- The leaf spring has separate front and back brackets that are bolted to the frame - moving the axle position will be child's play.

- The illustration shows 5 lug nuts - so it may be easy to change wheels for those guys whose macho factor can't take being seen with 12" wheels

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:30 pm

A design like a Cub, or Lil'Diner, with a rounded front/rear profile would lend itself to overhanging the frame fore/aft. That's the way I did the two 'Diners and my recently completed project. I'm working on a Cub variation currently. The body will overhang the frame on it also. When you take the forward/rear-ward curves out of the picture, the actual body would only overhang about 6, or so, inches, in the example of a Cub/Modernistic type design.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Tripmaker » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:48 pm

I should have added that I am planning to use the Generic Benroy Plans from this site but extending it to 10". I do not plan to overhang the frame in order to maximize height inside.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Re: 5 X 10 solution?

Postby rampage » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:53 pm

Tripmaker wrote:I'm getting ready to jump into a build and have decided to make a 5 x 10 TD. I see that the RED and HF trailers are 5 x 8. Short of having a frame custom welded what are my options? I guess I would lean toward the Red 5 X 8, can this be extended to 10'? What have others done?

Kayakrguy (Jim) extended the 5x8 Redtrailer into a 5x10. You should PM him.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby Jiminsav » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:40 pm

you don't need the frame to go the full length..sheesh..the galley can hang off the back just fine.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Tripmaker » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:24 am

Jiminsav wrote:you don't need the frame to go the full length..sheesh..the galley can hang off the back just fine.

I was thinking that cause some build with no frame at all. But I'm NEW to all this and not sure what will work or not. Thanks.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets