Buckeye TD Dreamer

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Buckeye TD Dreamer

Postby HotWheelsFiero » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi. I plan on buliding a light one over the winter to pull with my Fiero (I think it can pull around 1000lbs... I have upgraded my engine from a 2.8 to a 3.1 and the brakes are upgraded to Grand Am brakes so pulling and stopping shouldn't be an issue). I think I'm going to go with the TSC trailer because I won't be doing any welding (doing the "no weld" TD thing). I'm sure I will have a ton of questions and I appreciate any help you can over. Thanks for having such a great place for info. :thumbsup:
HotWheelsFiero
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sid » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:06 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build.

What part of Ohio are you from?
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:54 pm

Buckeye? I heard something about a football game downtown.

Don't worry, just because I live here doesn't mean I'm a UT fan.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:38 pm

Welcome aboard Hotwheels.
:D
Take pictures, ask questions, ShareShareShare. We just luv it.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby George Kraus » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:41 pm

HotWheels

Welcome to a fellow Buckeye.

George

p.s. That was a great game tonight
Started on the long road to happiness
George Kraus
Donating Member

Postby nubwon » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:19 am

hi and welcome hotwheels. Lots of information to be gathered here. I love the fiero, always wanted to get one. If you have any pics, i'd love to see them..........Terry.....
If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff...
nubwon
Teardrop Master

Re: Buckeye TD Dreamer

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:29 am

HotWheelsFiero wrote:Hi. I plan on buliding a light one over the winter

Hi Hotwheels,

Welcome to the forum.

We've been thinking light a lot lately too. And although it's too big for a Fiero, the Escape Hatch is only 800# (including the air conditioner), 730# without the AC.

I imagine you could build an ultralight, like I have in this thread, on a Chassis, and it would probably only weigh 500 to 600 pounds.

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... ultralight

Let us know what you decide, and take pictures!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby HotWheelsFiero » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:30 am

Thanks for the welcome.

(I added “Columbus” to my profile. I missed it, thanks for the heads-up). Go Bucks!

As far as my Fiero, it is a WIP (work-in-progress) ’87 Silver GT. The engine blew last month so I took it to “FieroAmerica” (near Dayton), where he has been rebuilding it, boring it out to the 3.1, with ceramic coated headers, pipes (along with completely rebuilding the suspension – all new poly, shocks/struts, lowering springs [yes, you read that right, I know, I know], and completely changed out every brake line/hose as he was upgrading the brakes to Grand Am), along with upgrading the automatic transmission to the version with overdrive (as I tend to do a lot of interstate travel). He should be finished with it by the end of the month, at which time I shall give her a much-needed bath and snap a few pics. My next step this fall is to customize the interior (new leather seats; door panels; carpet; and add a GPS module; DVD player; LCD monitor; 10 disc CD changer; and XM radio module) – yes, it will all fit with some creative engineering. I will then place it all on hold for the winter to begin my TD (I should to have my “plan” together by then).

My Fiero owner’s manual lists just over a 1000lb towing capacity, so I do want to stay light, but (thanks to lurking around here for awhile now) I sure would like to add heat/AC, some very basic cabinetry, raise the bed up about 12 inches for storage (the Fiero only has enough trunk room for 2 gym bags and 2 chairs, not much room for anything else) and a very basic galley (stove or grill, sink/water).

The part I have to continue to research is the power supply. I know as much about electricity as the Longhorns know about stopping the Buckeyes offense last night (sorry, had to do it). I would like interior/exterior lights (nothing to big, just enough to light it up a bit); run the heat/AC sometimes; watch a TV (again, Go Bucks!), and listen to music. How I accomplish it is yet TBD.

I plan on purchasing plans from http://www.tintop-teardrop.com. They should come in handy as a great starting point (I am leaning towards making the 5’x 8’).

Again, thanks for the help and I hope to post pics of my progress along the way to a fun build.
HotWheelsFiero
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Endo » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:27 pm

Hotwheels

Welcome to the site.

I also live in the Columbus area.

You are welcome to stop over if you would like to see our teardrop.

Good luck with the build.

Brad (aka Endo)
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby HotWheelsFiero » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:20 am

Endo wrote:Hotwheels

Welcome to the site.

I also live in the Columbus area.

You are welcome to stop over if you would like to see our teardrop.

Good luck with the build.

Brad (aka Endo)

Brad,

Thanks, I'll be sure to take you up on that offer. :)

I was checking out your album last night and you did amazing work on yours. I'm sure I'll be trying to "steal your knowledge". ;)

Bruce
HotWheelsFiero
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves