As I began to build my trailer I ...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

1. bought plans to follow or get an idea of what I would need
46%
2. researched what parts I would need and got things as needed
13%
3. figured measurements grabed the tools and just did it.
38%
4 bought a premade or kit
No votes
5. see below
4%

Total votes : 24

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:12 pm

I am getting to the time I said I would start .... I have ideas and a drawing that could change with the shift of the wind.

So here is my question to you.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:07 pm

I'm definitely a "Buy as you go" type. Sometimes buy it and find that I already have it when I get home. I should really check inventory before I go to the store.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:27 pm

Knew what I wanted the profile to look like. Bought what I wanted in or on it and then built the Scotsman around all the parts. Bought the material as I needed it. That way the cost didn't seem that high when it was finished.

Have a Merry Christmas,
Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Chip » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:14 am

I built my trailer based on the size etc of the frame,,,I didnt prebuy parts as too many things changed as I went along and since a lot of parts were scrounged I didnt want a pile of bought material that I could get for next to nothing,,

The semi-final setup sort of evolved as I went along,,now comes the time for remodeing,,, A good set of plans to go by would definately be of help, but since every person wants a little something different, a lot of pre thought needs to be done to have a end result that is what you think you want, after using a trailer a bit there is changes that I want to do to make it more efficient and organized,,and of course cosmetic changes or additions,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Joanne » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:31 am

Since I know so little about this type of construction I spent a lot of time reading the various teardrop forums. I purchased the plans once I decided that this was something that I wanted to try.

I want a 5X10 grasshopper so I can't follow the directions exactly but they provide a great reference on how to put the trailer together.

One of the things that convinced me that I could do this was building a small trailer for a friend to pull behind her motorcycle. We bought the smallest Harbor Freight trailer and started with it. Since she wanted it to be as lightweight as possible, I threw away the HF frame and welded up a new one out of 3/4 X 1 1/2 steel tubing. I narrowed the axle so it fit under the new frame. The trailer turned out pretty good. (I'll post some pictures on my website this week if I get to it.)

Anyway, building a camping trailer is an adventure!

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby SteveH » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:34 pm

Not that I am any kind of authority by any means, but I read a lot on this site, down loaded a bunch of different plans from Anrew's site: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear00.htm , and from all that information, drew a set of plans of my own.

I wanted a certain sized bed, and a certain sized galley, with a certain amount and type of appliances, so there really was no other way.

As far as materials are concerned, I think it is a major storage problem to go and buy all the materials necessary to build the entire trailer, so I purchase what I need to do different phases. So far, it has worked for me, although because my trailer is 5'wide, there is a lot of scrap material left over. Maybe I can have a big bon fire when I'm finished. :thinking:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to User Polls