Awesome Dutch Oven Cobbler

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

Awesome Dutch Oven Cobbler

Postby Ranger Rod » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:35 pm

I've made a lot of Dutch Oven Cobblers over the years (was big in scouting, Wood Badge etc.), but this is the best one I've ever had. :thumbsup:

1 #2 1/2 Can Sliced Peaches
1 #2 1/2 Can Fruit Cocktail
1 Small Can Crushed Pineapple
1/2 cup Instant Tapioca
1/4 pound Butter
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 Dry Cake Mix

1 Mix fruit & tapioca (Line Dutch Oven with foil to make easier cleanup)
2 Sprinkle cake mix over top, follow with Brown Sugar and Butter on top.
3 Cook about 45 minutes with 6-8 coals on bottom and 12-16 on the top. It is done when top is brown and cake has absorbed juices, but is not dry.

Enjoy,
Rod
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dennis T » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:39 am

Made mods to this Cobler at Myrtle Beach, (when I did this one the first time the juice was not taken into the dry cake mix):
1 Drain fruit use to mix with cake mix making a thick batter
2 Mix fruit & tapioca (Line Dutch Oven with foil to make easier cleanup) place in dutch oven first.
3 Spoon cake mix batter over top of fruit, follow with Brown Sugar and Butter on top. Use your own judgement on the brown sugar, just a light layer will do.
3 Cook about 45 minutes with 6-8 coals on bottom and 12-16 on the top. It is done when top is brown and when cake has baked (use same method as if doing in oven at home to check).

Darla
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Postby James (tinbender) » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:41 pm

Yum Yum that sounds good i am going to try this one for sure
James (tinbender)
Teardrop Builder

Postby tearhead » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:27 am

I was going to try this, but want to know what is supposed to be there for the quantities of tapioca nd butter where it's showing a square. Anybody know after all this time?
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:18 pm

My beloved's version uses one stick of butter and a half cup sugar.
He doesn't add pineapple to his, though, and his technique is a bit different:

12'' Dutch oven

1 18 oz box yellow cake mix
5 16 oz cans sliced peaches (or pears, apricots, fruit cocktail, or cherries)
1 tbsp each ground ginger, nutmeg and allspice
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 stick butter
half cup brown sugar

Rub the butter over the inside of the Dutch oven first to reduce sticking; reserve remainder.

Open one can of fruit. Using a fork, put peaches into the buttered oven, reserving juice in can. Continue with remaining fruit, saving all juice into one can.

Last, open the cake mix carefully. Pour 2/3 of it into an empty can and mix in enough juice to make a pancake-batter consistency. Pour remaining juice over fruit, then batter over the juice and fruit. Mix spices and brown sugar into remaining cake mix (put them in the bag and knead to mix). Pour this over the top of the batter, then dot with remaining butter.

Set Dutch oven out of the wind, over 9 coals with 12 on the lid. Bake 40-45 minutes. Cobbler is done when edges are bubbly and crust light brown on top.

Try this with a mixture of fruit: 3 cans sliced peaches, 1 can pitted cherries, 1 can apricots.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Catoosa Grani » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:16 pm

tearhead wrote:I was going to try this, but want to know what is supposed to be there for the quantities of tapioca nd butter where it's showing a square. Anybody know after all this time?

I looked this recipe up and the tapioca is 1/2 cup and the butter is 1/4. I am going to try it also. Hope I didn't mess up.

Grani Betty
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Catoosa Grani wrote:
tearhead wrote:I was going to try this, but want to know what is supposed to be there for the quantities of tapioca nd butter where it's showing a square. Anybody know after all this time?

I looked this recipe up and the tapioca is 1/2 cup and the butter is 1/4. I am going to try it also. Hope I didn't mess up.

Grani Betty

Thanks for the heads up Grani... I've edited the recipe... :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2