Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:43 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:TDN said, "No", to the idea of me buying a sewing machine and something about obsessive compulsive or something along those lines...
Only caught part of it, 'cause I was thinking about all the cool awnings and side enclosures that I could do for the tear with one.

:lol: Whatever keeps you home at night. :lol: Seriously if you get too many addictions you need to win the lottery. The problem with quilting and sewing in general is they come out with new fabric every holiday and season. :? :money:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby kayakrguy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:36 am

Hi Miriam! What a fabulouis design! I love pieced quilts! so clever! Here is my tesselating stars. Top only. I"m now wondering, after 35 degree nights, and 60 degree nights, how heavy a batting to use. Any suggestions? I already have a thermal blanket and a orlon blanket, but at 35 we needed my old comforter as well. We look forward to trips to the west, Newfoundland. But storage of comforter on hot nights was the car-so bulky. Feed back welcome. Thanks, Nancy

A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Pennsylvania in the Fall

Postby pbb » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:54 am

Here's one of my wife's quilts, but she won't let me put it anywhere near the teardrop. I'll have to stick with the Walmart special for warmth.

pbb
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Wow two in a day. Those are beautiful. Thank you both.

Nancy the Tesselating star is what we always called a Friendship Star. You have a variation in it but so appropriate for your teardrop. I have a gortex batting for my camping quilt. You can get wool also but the gortex is washable and much lighter weight. You do need to leave some loft in it. I made a baby quilt with it and it is very warm. If you think you will need it warmer you can always double the batting. Oh and wait for a sale. They are costly.

Pbb those are some of my favorite colors. It is hard to think of putting so much work into something and take it camping. However Doug has convince me it is only right my teardrop have a theme. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any excuse right! You can always make your own 8)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:30 pm

Now... you got me going on that quilt search again. Since our theme is Yosemite I found this pattern of Yosemite Falls that will yield a 27" x 47" quilt. Now all we need to do is find someone locally to make it so we can stitch it into a store bought comforter. I hope it doesn't cost an arm and two legs. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:28 pm

:o Danny if you spend the money to have that made, have them make it into a bed top size medallion and put borders around it.

Actually let me go further and encourage you to do it yourself. I have never tried to make a scenic picture but with your wood skills you should be able to do this.

The process is the same as making an inlay just with fabric. You can get iron on fusible interfacing to place the pieces and applique stitch them down. Like making a hem or putting a patch on.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:21 pm

Miriam C. wrote::o Danny if you spend the money to have that made, have them make it into a bed top size medallion and put borders around it.

Actually let me go further and encourage you to do it yourself. I have never tried to make a scenic picture but with your wood skills you should be able to do this.

The process is the same as making an inlay just with fabric. You can get iron on fusible interfacing to place the pieces and applique stitch them down. Like making a hem or putting a patch on.

Miriam, the pattern is only $15 so I may just order it and go from there. Never sew since the machine always has some problem and I'm not familiar with the thing to adjust or fix it. Jane has too much on her plate to do it so we may just have it made or buy this with bears that we've had our eyes on. One thing we don't like is the border is at the foot of the bed and would be partially hidden with the overhanging cabinet. I may just get the pillows, who knows right now. There's not a whole lot out there for our theme so I naturally got excited when I saw this quilt pattern. I emailed the original artist since it was for sale. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby asianflava » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:36 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote: There's not a whole lot out there for our theme so I naturally got excited when I saw this quilt pattern

At least you have a theme.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 pm

asianflava wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote: There's not a whole lot out there for our theme so I naturally got excited when I saw this quilt pattern

At least you have a theme.

First thing to come to mind looking at your avatar & user name was "The Swan" :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:54 am

Danny...that type of quilt is a "landscape" quilt...Hoffman fabrics have a ton of materials out there to do what you want, mostly in batiks. Typically, you fuse the fabric to the substrate using a material called "seam a seam"...cut it out and then fuse it to your background, with a hot iron. It can be sewn down along the edges...I'm working on a really sick and twisted one (land scape).....I only show it to certain customers in the store...most won't appreciate it, but I know that there are those that have my twisted sense of humor ......Doug :twisted: :twisted:

Auntie M....I'll put up a pic on this thread on Mon....It's some sick stuff....
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:12 am

doug hodder wrote:Danny...that type of quilt is a "landscape" quilt...Hoffman fabrics have a ton of materials out there to do what you want, mostly in batiks. Typically, you fuse the fabric to the substrate using a material called "seam a seam"...cut it out and then fuse it to your background, with a hot iron. It can be sewn down along the edges...I'm working on a really sick and twisted one (land scape).....I only show it to certain customers in the store...most won't appreciate it, but I know that there are those that have my twisted sense of humor ......Doug :twisted: :twisted:

Auntie M....I'll put up a pic on this thread on Mon....It's some sick stuff....

:lol: Image
So you uh think I have a twisted sense of humor huhImage
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:21 am

Auntie M...I'm sure you remember "Dick and Jane" from your schooling, I'm willing to bet you can....anyway....well it's out from Moda fabrics....I "fussy cut" the characters, put them on an island in the middle of the ocean with sharks swimming about...and put Sally in the water with one of her dismembered legs in the mouth of a shark...meanwhile, Dick and Jane are running across the island wondering what is going on, can't wait to see what Sally is up to...while a B2 Bomber is checking in for a bombing run on them with a pirates chest is on the island....hey...I thought it was funny :lol: :lol: Doug...

I think Ira and I may have a lot more in common than I thought.... :lol:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:30 am

doug hodder wrote:Auntie M...I'm sure you remember "Dick and Jane" from your schooling, I'm willing to bet you can....anyway....well it's out from Moda fabrics....I "fussy cut" the characters, put them on an island in the middle of the ocean with sharks swimming about...and put Sally in the water with one of her dismembered legs in the mouth of a shark...meanwhile, Dick and Jane are running across the island wondering what is going on, can't wait to see what Sally is up to...while a B2 Bomber is checking in for a bombing run them with a pirates chest is on the island....hey...I thought it was funny :lol: :lol: Doug...I think Ira and I may have a lot more in common than I thought.... :lol:

You are so right. It is funny and I look forward to seeing it. I was just playing with my new toy.ImageImage
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:50 am

doug hodder wrote:Auntie M...I'm sure you remember "Dick and Jane" from your schooling, I'm willing to bet you can....anyway....well it's out from Moda fabrics....I "fussy cut" the characters, put them on an island in the middle of the ocean with sharks swimming about...and put Sally in the water with one of her dismembered legs in the mouth of a shark...meanwhile, Dick and Jane are running across the island wondering what is going on, can't wait to see what Sally is up to...while a B2 Bomber is checking in for a bombing run on them with a pirates chest is on the island....hey...I thought it was funny :lol: :lol: Doug...

I think Ira and I may have a lot more in common than I thought.... :lol:

Sounds pretty cool to me. But I'm like that. 8) 8)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:04 pm

doug hodder wrote:I'm working on a really sick and twisted one (land scape).....I only show it to certain customers in the store...most won't appreciate it, but I know that there are those that have my twisted sense of humor ......Doug :twisted: :twisted:

I guess Kevin and I didn't qualify... :(
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers