Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:33 pm

bledsoe3 wrote: make this one.

I wanna know how she got that thru her machine to sew all those patterns in it. :thinking: :thinking:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:28 pm

Wow that is some awesome quilting... Now since Miriam got me going again Ive spent sometime on this website... But ok I also just know how to sew a button on my shirts ....Barely :oops: :lol:

I,ll find someones granny to sew me up one of these here...

http://www.rushintailor.com/catalog/pro ... ts_id/1331

http://www.rushintailor.com/catalog/ind ... 29_250_265

Also as my wifes reply was just a Laugh when asking if she would make us one :oops: ..... I cant do much else but to find someones Granny to sew one up for me... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic Finn :D
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:32 pm

Rich that is done with a long arm quilting machine and a very experienced operator.
This is what they look like.
http://www.apqs.com/
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:18 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Rich that is done with a long arm quilting machine and a very experienced operator.

Well then since I couldn't exactly be called "a very experienced operator" and I don't have a spare 10 grand sitting around guess I'll have to for go that machine and get along with the old Singer!! :shock: :shock: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:21 pm

Here ya go Miriam...check the leg in the mouth of the far right shark...it's Sally's...sort of a work in progress....Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:54 pm

Twisted!!! I like that! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:59 pm

ImageImageImageOh dear you have to look really to see anything but a cute book character. Did you fuse it? I don't see any stitches. 8)

Just think this will follow you into the next century. :lol:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:05 pm

Nitetimes wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:Rich that is done with a long arm quilting machine and a very experienced operator.

Well then since I couldn't exactly be called "a very experienced operator" and I don't have a spare 10 grand sitting around guess I'll have to for go that machine and get along with the old Singer!! :shock: :shock: :lol:

You can do it on a singer you just need to put the "darning" foot on and loosen the presser foot tention or like mine can drop the feeder dog out. I just haven't tried it lately.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby doug hodder » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 pm

M....I'm just really good at "fussy" cutting...it's just fused right now, it'll probably stay that way, it's just for fun...my idea of a landscape quilt block...everything there was cut out and added...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:16 pm

I was educated today on the price of custom quilts. I'm not saying her price is out of line, I just don't live in that kind of neighborhood. I'll order the pattern and Jane will play around with it. Danny
Dear Danny,

Thank you for your inquiry. The quilt of Yosemite Falls you asked about is not in my possession anymore, it was a prototype made for a commercial quilt pattern I designed for a pattern publishing company I work for though I am in the process of making another copy for myself as I teach a series of classes on creating quilts from these patterns. The quilt as presented in the pattern measures 26" by 45", smaller than the size you are interested in, however I do make commissioned quilts frequently and it would not be difficult to make a similar quilt design larger than that.

I price my quilts by the square foot with the price ranging from about $100 to $175 psf depending upon the cost of the materials and the techniques used. A quilt of that design in the size you specified would be somewhere around $4500; more if hand dyed fabrics are used or the quilt has a lot of hand-stitched detail incorporated into it or a little less for a simpler design or smaller quilt utilizing commercial fabrics. For a quilt of the size you specified, the project could take as long as one year to complete. Sometimes I can get them done faster than that depending on the other projects I have in progress at the same time but I prefer to give clients the worst case scenario for a time frame as it's usually not a problem if it's done ahead of schedule but avoid having projects that extend beyond the original estimated date of completion.

Please let me know if you are interested in pursuing such a project and we can make arrangements from there if you are. I can provide personal and business references as well if you would like to go ahead with this.

Thanks again.

Sincerely, Helene Knott
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Laredo » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:17 am

Yow.
Perhaps what you need is to offer to sponsor it with a quilter's circle at a church.
These are usually ladies who meet once a week, so it won't be fast. But it will be good and probably cost a lot less than that. (they quilt, mostly, by hand.)

Or you could go with the storebought and put it on upside-down (bears toward the head of the bed)
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:37 am

OMG. And I am gonna put my hand made in a camper. :shock: First, Danny let me assure you that someone can machine quilt that for less than two hundred if you get the top made.

Second get the pattern and enlarge it. I know you can do this, I have seen---held your work. All you do to make this is cut pieces out and fuse them down then make a rolling hem stitch or a blind stitch.

Check out the URL I put up and get the instructions. You might be surprised at what the two of you can accomplish.

Check with Doug about the materials. I bet he has them or something close. Or look around for some. If you can paint you can hand dye your own.

I am sorry I didn't see this sooner. :oops:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Pam Wright » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:03 am

Hi all,

I made the quilt for my "Cherry Drop" and quilted it onto a full size comforter for those cold Colorado nights.... I decorated the "Cherry Drop" with Mary Engelbreit fabric in black, white and Cherries....

Well, I haven't quite figured out how to post pictures yet but.... If you look in my album you'll see my quilt... and the pillow cases and curtains all made by my little ol' hands and Mom's Singer.... I'm planning on Dam Gathering and ITG#2, if you want to see it in person....

I really loved seeing everyone else's. Thanks for sharing!

Pam

Rocky Mountain TearJerkers
Director

"Be well, Be safe, Be Happy!"

Image"
Pam Wright
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:26 am

;) What fun. I love Mary Engelbreit. We rarely see any of her stuff here. I have a piece of some green she did, I'm saving.

Pam Hope you don't mind the liberty.
To do the pictures: I open a separate window and open my album in it.
In your album click on the picture, it will come up big.
go to the address bar and right click on it
scroll down to copy and click

come back over to your window with the post and click to get the cursor in place.
Click on Img, paste, and close tags

That should get you. You can edit your post to see what it should look like and use preview to see if it landed right.
:thumbsup:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Pam Wright » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:40 am

Thanks Miriam... It looks great! As you can see mine's not fancy but it fits and it warm! Your swan's are beautiful and I think that little girls look's like watercolor's ... so beautiful!

Many very talented quilter's in our teardrop community!!!

What a fun thread!

pam
Rocky Mountain TearJerkers
Director

"Be well, Be safe, Be Happy!"

Image"
Pam Wright
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers