T-Moulding Install Need Help

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

T-Moulding Install Need Help

Postby Montana Kev » Sat May 12, 2007 9:50 am

Can someone point me to info in the Forum on bending the door T-moulding to tight radiuses without crimping? What is the trick?

Thanks,
Kevin
Montana Kev
Teardrop Builder

Postby grant whipp » Sat May 12, 2007 11:09 am

Hi, Kevin!

You've got to trim the door-side lip of the T-Molding down to about 1/8" all the way through the curve ... looks best if you can taper/feather the leading & trailing edges nicely. Don't get in a hurry ... go slow and steady when bending the molding 'round the curve ... you might want to stop and drop a screw in now and then ...

You might also notice that this series shows kind of a "quick'n'dirty" method with the leading & trailing edges near the curve (acceptable and still attractive) ... but if you really want that trimming to disappear, make long smooth tapers that are several inches long.

Hope this edit works ... :roll: ... :roll:

Looks like it did ... for the most part ... can't figure out why pic #2 and #5 aren't showing up ... didn't when I made this post to the Teardrop Talk 'Board, too ...? Oh well ... I think you can figure it out!

CHEERS!

Grant
Last edited by grant whipp on Mon May 14, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Grant,

Can we see the photos too? ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sat May 12, 2007 2:16 pm

mikeschn wrote:Grant,

Mike...

:thumbsup: What he said! ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Sierrajack » Sat May 12, 2007 6:55 pm

Kevin, check your PM.
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby PaulC » Sat May 12, 2007 7:02 pm

Miriam C. wrote:
mikeschn wrote:Grant,

Mike...

:thumbsup: What he said! ;)

Yeah, me too...............ummmmmmmmmmm...........what they said :lol:

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:53 pm

Uh, Grant, you didn't mention that part. I want pictures too.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mike pari » Sun May 13, 2007 10:55 am

If you were to buy the "t" molding that is dead soft , it bends with no problem..Mike
mike pari
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Sun May 13, 2007 11:01 am

mike pari wrote:If you were to buy the "t" molding that is dead soft , it bends with no problem..Mike

Even without the third leg being cut Image
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby grant whipp » Mon May 14, 2007 3:32 am

mike pari wrote:If you were to buy the "t" molding that is dead soft , it bends with no problem ...

You should probably add "IF you get the 3/4" dead-soft T-Molding and IF the radius you want it to go around isn't any less than what you'll find on the bottom corners of the KIT or KenSkill teardrops' doors." Any tighter than that and even your dead-soft 3/4" T will have to have the inside flange relieved. Been there, done that ... many, many years ago ...

I prefer the 1" T-Molding as it gives you better coverage of the gap between the door and the door opening, and 1/2" wide weather seals are much easier to source than 3/8" wide seals. I don't often put the radius on the lower corners of my doors, but when I do, I don't mind the extra work to relieve that inner flange so I can keep that better coverage. Your preferences, and results, might be different ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Last edited by grant whipp on Tue May 15, 2007 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

T-Moulding

Postby Montana Kev » Mon May 14, 2007 9:40 am

Thank You Grant. The photos are great. This is my 2nd build and this time I went with doors similar to the Camp Inn design. I like all those rounded corners but they are a bit tricky to work with for the average builder. Thanks.
Kevin
Montana Kev
Teardrop Builder

Postby grant whipp » Mon May 14, 2007 9:58 pm

If you haven't noticed, I edited my first post to this thread to include the photos I mentioned ... :? ... :? ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Last edited by grant whipp on Tue May 15, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Miriam C. » Mon May 14, 2007 10:22 pm

:thumbsup: Looks like someone got it. Great tutorial and pictures.
Thanks!
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Tue May 15, 2007 3:59 am

Grant, we had done similar on our build but that is a great set of pics, detailing how to doit :thumbsup:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby gphockey » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:34 am

am researching this site in preparation to building a teardrop.
I have a few questions.

1- Float the alum. roof skin??? Why not glue it? Is there a problem with glueing it?

2- Bending and sealing the wall to roof joint. I have seen different techniques to bend this angle
A- Use dead soft aluminum. What is that and where can you get it? Is it not very soft and more succeptable to damage?
B- Heating with a torch to bend. Doe this damage or alter the finish of the aluminum?
C- Cutting the width of one side of the 90 degree angle to bend tight to the radius. This seems a bit extreme, I understand the principle as you cannot bend something on edge, but how does this look? Is it watertight? Is this a common practice? I did see one picture, it looked like a 1/2 to 3/4 wide angle ended up being 1/4 inch in width.

3- I also had a question about sealing the same roof to sidewall joint on a wood version of a teardrop. What is the technique there?

4- Another option I was considering was aluminum on the roof and wood sides. Any ideas there?

Thanks GP
gphockey
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques