Cast Iron on Sale at Dick's Sporting Goods

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Cast Iron on Sale at Dick's Sporting Goods

Postby Gaelen » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:38 pm

The Dick's Sporting Goods store down the road from me is having its annual summer clearance sale. I was cruising the aisles -- thinking about a new sleeping bag, I had a list, honest!

But I ended up in the camping aisle...and they had two 6qt pre-seasoned Camp Chef Lewis and Clark commemorative Dutch Ovens and some skillets reduced. The DOs all have a 'free' lid lifter included, and the lid has its own legs so it can be inverted to use as a skillet/griddle.

The 10 X 3" 6 quart DO was marked down to $24.95. It's $34 plus shipping on the Camp Chef website.

Has anyone used a Camp Chef DO? Aside from the lid-to-pan fit issues, is there anything else I should keep an eye out for? I want to start experimenting, and have to keep my galley small, so I thought this might be the perfect one-person size.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Kevin A » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:44 pm

Gaelen,
I don't think you can go wrong with the camp chef for the price. Check for uniform wall thickness and as you already mentioned, the lid to pot fit.
Good find. :thumbsup:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Ma3tt » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:55 pm

I have that one and I like the invertable lid it will be collectable in like 94 years! So hang on to it. that is the best oven for making pizza with the lid like that. Camp chef has a little hole in the lip of the lid and in the edge of the pot so you can line them up and snake a remote thermometer through it.
Congratulations!
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Re: Cast Iron on Sale at Dick's Sporting Goods

Postby Joanne » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:41 am

I think that Camp Chef is a fine brand. I have a combination of Lodge, Camp Chef, and old iron that I have no clue who manufactured.

Here's what I cooked up this morning in a Lodge 14 deep.

Did some Mexican cornbread too. I love that stuff!

Joanne

Gaelen wrote:The Dick's Sporting Goods store down the road from me is having its annual summer clearance sale. I was cruising the aisles -- thinking about a new sleeping bag, I had a list, honest!

But I ended up in the camping aisle...and they had two 6qt pre-seasoned Camp Chef Lewis and Clark commemorative Dutch Ovens and some skillets reduced. The DOs all have a 'free' lid lifter included, and the lid has its own legs so it can be inverted to use as a skillet/griddle.

The 10 X 3" 6 quart DO was marked down to $24.95. It's $34 plus shipping on the Camp Chef website.

Has anyone used a Camp Chef DO? Aside from the lid-to-pan fit issues, is there anything else I should keep an eye out for? I want to start experimenting, and have to keep my galley small, so I thought this might be the perfect one-person size.
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Gaelen » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:12 pm

I did pick up that Camp Chef dutch oven last weekend at Dick's--it's actually closer to 4" deep, and it's about 12" diameter. I just happened to have an old aluminum puppy food pan that's big enough to serve as a firepan for the bottom coals, as well as an old folding aluminum side table that will do to support a single medium sized dutch oven and get the whole setup higher so no bending down to cook.

So tonight I made 40-clove turkey thighs to test the new setup. It worked pretty well; the table seemed strong enough for the load. I do need a set of good mitts for lifting and turning the oven, though.

Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Joanne » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:20 pm

Good job on the chicken! I *love* garlic so it sounds like a wonderful dish. Have you shared that recipe?

Someone here suggested going to Target and looking where they keep the fireplace tools to see if you can find some fireplace gloves. You can also look at the hardware store for welding gloves. Either place will probably be cheaper than the Lodge gloves. Of course those Lodge gloves sure look nice. :lol:

Joanne

Gaelen wrote:I did pick up that Camp Chef dutch oven last weekend at Dick's--it's actually closer to 4" deep, and it's about 12" diameter. I just happened to have an old aluminum puppy food pan that's big enough to serve as a firepan for the bottom coals, as well as an old folding aluminum side table that will do to support a single medium sized dutch oven and get the whole setup higher so no bending down to cook.

So tonight I made 40-clove turkey thighs to test the new setup. It worked pretty well; the table seemed strong enough for the load. I do need a set of good mitts for lifting and turning the oven, though.

Universal Health Care
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby SmokeyBob » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:45 pm

Joanne
Bought a pair of red welders gloves for $13.57 at Lowe's. They look identical to the red gloves that Lodge sells at $19.95.
Last edited by SmokeyBob on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Joanne » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:56 pm

Hey Bob!

Good deal on the gloves! I just looked at your album and that chicken and biscuits looks really good. Nice job on getting the biscuits "just right".

I was showing a friend of mine the Hall of Fame pictures today and he mentioned that he liked your trailer. It wouldn't surprise me if he starts a trailer in the next year or so. He asked me to burn a him a CD of all the tear pictures I've taken at the different gatherings. (I think he's hooked!)

Joanne

SmokeyBob wrote:Joanne
Bought a pair of red welders golves for $13.57 at Lowe's. They look identical to the red gloves that Lodge sells at $19.95.

Universal Health Care
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby NoNeck » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:24 pm

:) As far as brand new I always use Lodge cast iron cookware. You can get them at Acadamy now adays. I have always had good luck with that brand. Stay away from the cheaper brands. handles fail and pin holes show up out of no where. The older ones are good, just old. Remember to season properly and it will act like teflon forever!!! :thumbsup:
Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
NoNeck
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Lesbest » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:19 pm

Got mine-- good price!
My wife got home from work ansd said "What's this?" and I said a DO and she said you have "one". I said how can I fix meat and cake at the same time with 1 pot? We both started to laugh.
Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Postby pgwilli » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Camp Chef split top honors with Lodge in Cook's Illustrated's 12" skillet test recently.;
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=17887&highlight=
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Return to Cast Iron