Filon FRP siding

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Podunkfla » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:35 pm

Gerdo wrote:Mark72,

What? Someone else has used FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plywood) I used FRP on mine. I know I used too much also. I hated the itches when cutting it in 98* weather but that is behind me now. It is holding up great. It deffinitly takes some planing ahead when building with it. I did some edge drilling to run wires to some porch lights and all fasteners are seen.

Sorry for the hyjack!

P.S. I did use FRP (Filon) for the roof and hatch covering.

Nope... I've never used Fiberglass Reinforced Plywood... Just goes to show the FRP handle is used for all kinds of stuff and really means nothing but confusion for the consumer? :o
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Re: Filon FRP siding

Postby ditchdoctor » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:52 pm

What is this product called

Thank You
ditchdoctor
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lacofdfireman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Well I’ve got a real building conundrum right now. I built an off-road style Teardrop and from someone else’s suggestion I decided to use a Raptor liner on the bare Baltic Birch 1/4” exterior without treating the wood first. So now here I am not even a year later with some irreversible issues. The wood from rain, heat and cold is starting to fail. The only way I can think to fix this is either to start all the way over and pull off the sheets of play wood which will most likely destroy the trailer or try and remove the Raptor liner which would most likely be a major chore and even the might still not work. Here are a few pics of what it looked like at first to what it looks like now.

When first done

Now after sun, cold and rain has messed up the wood

So the only suggestion that I’ve like so far is to clad over this with FRP. If I was to do this how do you seal the edges? Specifically the bottom edge etc? Also what about seams? How to you join and weather proof the seams? Also do you think that FRP would bend around my angles on the front and rear or would you need to just cut the panels like I did the wood and have to figure out some sort of trim for the angles?

Also what’s the best way to cut FRP?

Looking forward to seeing if this is actually a viable option for me. All the other options sound way to labor intensive to strip this all the way down to start over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby Graniterich » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:35 pm

I use frp on the inside of my teardrops, it will not bend those angles. I cut mine with a circular saw. It is some what heavy. What trim will you use on corners and angles? .040 aluminum with aluminum trim would be my comfortable choice.

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques