Wine lovers....where are you?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Wine lovers....where are you?

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:32 pm

I know there are some of us who bring some wine, not just beer , to a campout. So I was wondering who (like I know me, Trudy and Lynn and Sylvia, and the poor girl Marlene always have a bottle...)

and what they prefer (I'm a white girl myself .... Berringers White Merlot and Jakob Dremmer Spatlese and a new Reisling I like is Clean Slate...mmm)

and do you drink it out of the sexy styrofoam cup or ? I have thought of making a stemware hanger but have some kind of foam thing to keep the glass from clinking together and breaking... I prefer to drink out of actual glass even though Target stores have those stemless plastic ones. But with a sexy man on a moonlit night at the lake, dixie cups are romantic! haha

I'd like to hear from others....
:wine:
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby wolfix » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm a cab sav drinker myself. Nothing but a red. And it has to be out of a glass.....Image[/img]
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby Boodro » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:03 pm

I'm a big line wover !!! I brink it right outa the dottle !!!! :tipsy: :wine: :tipsy: :wine:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mincey » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:02 pm

Hubby brings Michelob Ultra, I bring bottle from our "cellar". We are not wine experts, but we do enjoy trying different ones. I prefer to visit local vineyards in the places we travel. We even have a bunch of bottles from south of Tucson the last time I was out visiting the parents! Next time in AZ we are going north to visit the Sedona area vineyards :) We have some nice vineyards just north of us in GA that we enjoy, so on a camping trip I will usually have at least one or more bottles of North GA wine. We really like Three Sisters and Frogtown wines.

We have the plastic wineglasses for camping consumption. But I am picky about my plastic glasses. We got Lexan, so it doesn't have that "plastic" taste or smell like acrylics do. One set is from a boat store (West Marine) so the bottoms have a plastic ring to keep from slipping, and the other set has removeable stems and has a plastic mesh carrying bag that we found at Dick's sporting goods.
Cheryl and Randall
2006 T@B Clamshell
The T@Binator
mincey
Teardrop Master

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:48 pm

I show up with a "full service" bar. Full enough to service me and maybe a bit for visitors. I will have some Two Buck Chuck red and usually a bottle of higher quality stashed somewhere. I may even find a bottle of white if I look hard. In the warm months there are always margarita mixers (and a blender) which swap with the black rum and hot toddy stuff for colder nights. I will always have olives for my martini too.

Beer is usually Red Seal or Acme ales but other micro breweries are welcome from time to time. Any Bud is by accident or donation.

I will have 1-2 martini glasses, some wine glasses and those red plastic things for large drinks.
There will always be some cheese, usually brie but others appear when they are available.

Slainte :wine: :beer: :crazy:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby pauld3 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:01 pm

I will drink wine out of anything that will hold it: Coffee cup, plastic cup, dixie cup, wine glass, orange juice glass, jelly jar, canning jar. I'm snot as think as you drunk I am....

I'm just not that picky...or knowledgable to know that I'm ruining the boquet of the wine when I drink it out of my sneaker! You know what I mean. Once we went rafting and the "BOX" dissolved and we had to drink it straight from the spicket!

(I probably shouldn't have told that one!) But it's true!

I DO NOT like DRY wines. They make me shiver. I tend to like the sweeter one. But like a lot of you said, I love to go to vineyards and I love to buy wine from them...not that I have a cellar...I'm not sure I can keep a bottle of wine long enough to get dust on the bottle...hahahaha

HOWEVER, I won a bottle of white at the Minden gathering and I have hung on to it to share with Jules and Pam at my Birthday celebration next week...so I have been very very good about that!!

Ok, enough confessions!!
Lynn
Paul & Lynn Donovan
The Toad Drop Inn
Liberal, KS
pauld3
The 300 Club

Postby TLC » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:34 pm

I like to bring a little "class" to socialable wine consumption.....So I only drink wine that comes in bottles with twist off caps!!
Tom :lol:
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby switterstx » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:23 pm

I'm one of those beer drinkers but my wife is a certified wine guru. Well I think so at least. When we met she was a wine salesperson to the resorts and fine restaurants in St. Thomas. She knows her stuff backwards and forwards.

But she's been teaching me a little and screw tops & box-o-wine is in now. Apparently there is a whole revolution going on with regards to packaging. I bring this up because one of those boxes will last forever if kept relatively cool cause no air gets into the container to spoil (oxidize) the wine. Not to mention you can take 'em out of the box and they are easily mushed into any space you have. They also float!

If you'd like to learn more check out her article:
http://wine-scamp.com/2007/08/17/boxed-in/

As for glasses we just use plastic cause her fancy glasses for each style are way too delicate for me to even wash, never mind going camping with them.
switterstx
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary K » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:44 pm

I used to not like wine at all, but I love this wine. I have to be careful with drinking other wines though, I am alergic to sulfites and I break out in hives...brrrrrr scratchy scratcy :D

I guess when camping I'd take it in a Dixie cup :lol:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:04 am

My wife & I also enjoy a glass now & then. We have visited many of the fine wineries along the Missouri River here in Missouri and several of the wineries in No California. Surprisingly, there is a very active & excellent wine culture in Missouri with some award winning wines. (Following the wine trail in Missouri would make for a great T&TTT group adventure... Or having a gathering in Hermann, Missouri with it's several wineries would make a great destination...)

When traveling we have an insulated wine & cheese caddy that comes with two Lexan stemware glasses that serves us well. The glasses look delicate but are nearly indestructable.

Next month I will be making my annual pilgrimage to Hermann, Missouri for their Oktoberfest with a group of my guy friends. We have camped either in Hermann or close by for more than 10 years now. Our trip always involves two days of cycling sections of the Katy Trail (2-4 hours in the mornings) followed by German food, beer &/or wine.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby wolfix » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:56 am

Next month I will be making my annual pilgrimage to Hermann, Missouri for their Oktoberfest with a group of my guy friends. We have camped either in Hermann or close by for more than 10 years now. Our trip always involves two days of cycling sections of the Katy Trail (2-4 hours in the mornings) followed by German food, beer &/or wine.

That sounds like a perfect trip........ What is the surface of the Katy trail like? It is a trail that I am going to ride some year.
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby Gaelen » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:50 am

I camp every year at a central NY dog show in the middle of the vineyards that surround the Finger Lakes (The "Wine Country" circuit). One of my camp-mates is a certified wine snob...I love a fine glass of wine (although I have to be careful to only have one) but I'm not in her league. Example: her corkscrew is the kind a white tablecloth restaurant sommelier would use. My home corkscrew is the kind with the two side wings, and my camping corkscrew is the one on my swiss army knife. She has a special wine 'picnic basket' in which she brings her wine glasses. I have been known to drink my beverage of choice, whether a Guinness or a nice dry Reisling, out of a spare travel mug.

But Barrie did teach us all about this place (who, by the way, deliver to our campsite in Sampson State Park. They also ship anywhere in the states...and everything Barrie's ordered for us from this winery has been wonderful:

http://www.lamoreauxwine.com/
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Joanne » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:53 am

I used to enjoy wine a lot. Did a lot of local wine tastings and would explore the wine region just north of Santa Barbara CA. Some great little wineries around there. The little places aren't generally consistent year to year, but each year a couple of them get everything just right and I would go home with a case.

Financial challenges have limited my wine consumption in recent years and I've lost touch with which vinyards are putting out the great wine. I still grab a bottle and enjoy it on occasion. I primarily drink reds, but a nice glass of white from time to time is nice too. I really like a bit of portofino before heading to bed.

Jonne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby dguff » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:34 am

I usually have at least a couple of bottles of red wine along. My favorite is Zinfandel but I also like a good blended red wine. Pinot Noir and Petit Syrah has also been known to last for a short while in my "cellar". I don't see any need for stemware while camping but I do prefer glass over any other vessel.

Jerome :D
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:37 pm

Only wine I ever cared for was T.J. Swann's or Boone's Farm. Every wine I ever tried that someone said was good tasted suspiciously like vinegar to me.
I think I tried every wine I could find in Germany and it still just don't appeal to me.
Now a bottle of Jim Beam or Crown Royal and I'm happy.
Guess my taste bud's just ain't refined enough.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets