The LT... Thomas' Luxury Tent

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The LT... Thomas' Luxury Tent

Postby 2bits » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:11 am

OK... It has begun... Today Feb 1stt I bought my 2x2x1/8 steel tubing for the frame. I begin the build on Groundhog Day 2008!

I will post updates to the build here rather than posting new threads, although specific questions will surely crop up outside this thread, so as not to "muck it up". Please feel free to comment, although I know there is not much going on yet :lol: I am a picture freak so I will usually post progress pics as they come about. I have exactly two months to get it done for my Beaver's Bend goal. Errant snowmobile aside I think it is quite doable, but I won't kill myself if something unforeseen happens, but lets stay positive! I am VERY psyched up!

My plan as it is today: A 10' Modernaire with (most likely) a newer style full wrap hatch. I am also settling into the A frame tongue design as well, to be covered by a tasteful matching box, if I can make it look good, otherwise it will be the place to hold the spare. It will be a woody with dark sides and light trim, or vise versa, either way, I was the grain to POP. Chrome smoothie wheels for my truck and the tear (this will be the last big purchase of the project), the roof, stained wood , and the hatch either wood or aluminum depending on my mood when I get to that point.

Here are some 'drops that have inspired me for this one:

This one has the Modernaire Profile I am doing, and has the Wheels I am going to do on it and my truck:

Beau-ti-ful Mahogany and gloss with nice trim:

That's all for now!
Last edited by 2bits on Mon May 02, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Gage » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:50 am

That third one might be for sale. Save you a lot of time even though it's not of the Modernaire shape. :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:12 am

Unless things go terribly awry I'm startin one tomorrow too.
Here's my pile

But first I gotta make a hole.

Of course some of us have to light a fire in the garage to work!!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:19 am

Hey Gage...that 3rd one just might be for sale. I'm full up on tears! 3 tears, a boat and a Rambler...I'm outta room! Rich...what's the plan/profile etc...? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:26 am

doug hodder wrote: Rich...what's the plan/profile etc...? Doug

I do believe she's doing a Comet or modified comet profile. I know it will be 5X9. This one is for a future tear dropper that lives not far from me. She's a member here but just kinda sneaks in and out and doesn't say much.
My axle was supposed to be in Thursday. It was a special order width so they screwed everything up. I have to call tomorrow and see if it arrived. I'll build the frame regardless.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby angib » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:55 am

Thomas,

Full marks for remembering to stop the truck outside the garage:

:lol:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Mike Angeles » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:56 am

Good Eye!
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; including the ability to speak or act without offending.
2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste;
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:12 pm

Whew yeah, I coulda gotten myself a NEW repair job! ! ! I wasn't even thinking about it actually, I just planned on unloading outside and I wanted to take a pic. I have been under the weather this week, so if I hadn't thought of those things, who knows what I would have done.

That 3rd Teardrop (the mahogany one) is probably my all time favorite. There is no way in the world I could afford to buy one outright though, not to mention it's in CA, I would almost kill or die for it, so I'd better stick to building haha. I am really looking forward to the experience own building mine. It really adds a whole new element of pride when you have taken nothing and built something cool out of it.

It is a really nice day today, I am spending it working on my 71 Nova getting it ready to sell on eBay (to provide the $$$ for the Tear!) Yah, I bet it is plenty cold up there in PA!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:17 pm

So I completed my first two drawings, the first because I needed to build the trailer around the Queen mattress size, but I am building the frame first. So I had to work out from the mattress then work from the trim back in to the frame to see where the frame is going to sit.

I am going to Rabbet the 3/4" walls halfway in to help it sit up on the floor a bit, and put upper and lower lighter color trim on the exterior to cover screws and because it looks cool :lol: It is actually to scale except for the long spans of course.

The second drawing is not to scale at all, but I wanted to map out in my head on paper for the axle length to be sure I didn't miss anything. I did this one kinda quick at work so I expect to have errors here (hopefully not).

Can anyone check me and tell me anything that is out of whack, or something I missed? Maybe it will help others as well.

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Gage » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:37 pm

2bits wrote:<snip>
That 3rd Teardrop (the mahogany one) is probably my all time favorite. There is no way in the world I could afford to buy one outright though, not to mention it's in CA, I would almost kill or die for it, so I'd better stick to building haha.
<snip>
<snip>

Heck, just to help out a friend. For gas money, I'd bring it to you. That way I could also stop and see one of my daughters who lives a few miles to the west of you, over by the race track (Texas Motor Speedway). :twisted: ;)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby 2bits » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:56 pm

You're such a tease Gage! :lol:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:50 am

OK, I just got paid for my car auction so now there's no more waiting, and it's is crunch time for me...

I already have my frame tubing, but need to commit on the axle length, so I can order it, and also pick out my 10' plywood walls. Lucky my best friend is a master carpenter who does it for a living. I learned alot working for him for one year, but I am no master by any means. I told him I would like to have all his suggestions and then let me make the final decision. I want this to me "my" creation, not built on any one else's direction. I will of course pull every ounce of knowledge I can from all the experience within these walls!

I'm about to fall off the face of the planet for five weeks!
Here we go baby! ! ! More to come soon...
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:06 am

I am getting closer to having a fairly complete shop now! I bought a Hitachi Miter saw today. They had one with the laser and $50 without the laser and I thought, I have never even USED a laser before and I am totally happy so, I got the one without and then in turn picked up a Porter Cable Pancake air compressor. It will need to run alot but I think it will be just fine and the price was right. I also picked up a 4x8 piece of 1/2 Birch and some 2x4's to build a "woodshop" (16' desk) along one side of my garage.

I am officially moving back my completion date for the tear though. I have come to realize that I would rather do this RIGHT and take my time and ENJOY the process rather than burden myself down with a 4 week deadline, which is time for an experienced pro. I have also decided that I want to do both 120 and 12v so that will take time to design and install, so while I am still pushing myself to get it done to be able to do some camping BEFORE summer, my April 4th Beaver's Bend deadline is now a "goal", but not something I am going to cut my finger off, or reduce the quality of the tear for. We will just see how it goes, I am know by my friends to stay up until 2am in the garage with the radio going just enjoying myself and gets LOADS of work done, so we will just see where the times takes me and when it is ready, it will be ready!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby cuyeda » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:23 am

2bits wrote:I am getting closer to having a fairly complete shop now! snip...

Good for you! I am in the same mode by finding new space in my garage. Wall cabinets, workbench(2), and a barrage of new tool acquistions. I feel a sense of accomplishment making my own cutting jigs. Today I was cutting some MDF to make a table saw cart, and will add a router table to one side. Next will be a portable miter saw cart, with hinged support flaps. Building trailers has taken a back seat, but I feel the organization will help me build faster. ha ha. Ok, probably not faster, just more efficient.

Good luck on starting your new build!
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby BigDaddyCool » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:46 am

nice truck! :thumbsup:

good luck with your build 8)
BigDaddyCool
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals