Cad Design Programs

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

Cad Design Programs

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:32 am

Hi All,

I down loaded a free CAD application from the emachineshop site. It appears to be a Rhino application. Does anyone else use this program?
The free one has its limits but seems easy to use.

I spent a couple of hours and redrew some of my views and posted them in my gallery.

Let me know what you think, Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby 3DTD » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:38 am

Hi Mark,

I've been working on a fiberglas TD design for almost a year now. It's going to be built of E-glass, S-glass, Kevlar, and carbon fiber. I used Rhino3D for the development.

Willl send pics if you're interested.

Regards,
Mark
3DTD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:10 am

3DTD wrote:Hi Mark,

I've been working on a fiberglas TD design for almost a year now. It's going to be built of E-glass, S-glass, Kevlar, and carbon fiber. I used Rhino3D for the development.

Regards,
Mark

I'm interested! Do you have some shaded images you can share with us?

Mike...

P.S. If you can export VRML 2.0, we'd really love to see that...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Rhino CAD software/ teardrop design

Postby 3DTD » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:15 am

Hi Mike,

Sure I can export VRML, but design isn't quite mature yet: have to modify fenders; it just doesn't look right yet. Haven't got the door hinging figured out; it's going to have to swing out before opening to prevent interference. Something like the bomb-bay doors on a P-38.

Just joined this group this morning, and I'm not real Hypertext literate, meaning I don't know how to post pics yet (duh). Just switched over to DSL last week, and don't have a website yet. Also just moved into a new condo and that's occupying my wife and me full-time. Will figure out all that computer stuff later, but right now I'm goofing off at work and really ought to get back at it.

Would be glad to e-mail you some pics soon. Can tell you that the profile is based on a cochleoid, planform is NACA 4digit series, cross section is superelliptical w/ exponent 2.7. At least that's what is was when I started out; now they're all GKW (God Knows What).

Rhino3D is a great program, but I still have a lot to learn. Bought 2 training CD's but haven't had time to take more than a cursory look at one of them.

Thanks for your interest.

Best Regards,

Mark Lorris
3DTD
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Rhino CAD software/ teardrop design

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:06 pm

3DTD wrote:
Sure I can export VRML, but design isn't quite mature yet:

It doesn't need to be mature. You can send us a new VRML every week if you want. Just email me the file and I'll put it online...

3DTD wrote:Just joined this group this morning, and I'm not real Hypertext literate, meaning I don't know how to post pics yet (duh).

We have an album here that you can upload your photos or screen captures to. Just resize them in PaintShop Pro to 640x480. Then click on Album->Your Personal Gallery->Upload Pic
It's easy and fast!!!

3DTD wrote:Can tell you that the profile is based on a cochleoid, planform is NACA 4digit series, cross section is superelliptical w/ exponent 2.7. At least that's what is was when I started out; now they're all GKW (God Knows What).

That sounds like something out of the rocket industry!!! NACA fin profiles!

Looking forward to hearing/seeing more of your work!

Mike...

P.S. You'll want to download Cortona... I have a link to it on my homepage
http://www.mikenchell.com
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:14 am

3DTD wrote:Hi Mark,

Regards,
Mark

Man, A guy takes a day off to do some Christmas shopping and look what I miss. I'd love to see some pics, either posted to your gallery or uploaded to the site. I'm not running any CAD programs currently because the demos have all expired, so I can't open any of those wonky Cad files. I know, I should download one of those free veiwers, but I just havn't done it yet.

Keep us posted, Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby 3DTD » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:33 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the instructions. Uploaded a couple screencaps of the "Bedbug". It's a bed on wheels, and several people have told me it looks like an insect, hence the name. Maybe too cutesy-poo, I dunno. Should have some time next week to finalize the fender design.

Will generate cross section curves at stations about a foot apart, and build on box beam I have left over from a boat I built about 10 years ago.

Let me know if you still want the VRML files--maybe this thing is too weird for your tastes.

Mark
3DTD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:02 am

3DTD wrote:Hi Mike,

Let me know if you still want the VRML files--maybe this thing is too weird for your tastes.

Mark

That thing is definitely cute. It would be a challenge to build, I would think. Now I want your parasolid (x_t) file for sure. I believe that Rhino3D can export a parasolid file.

Thanks,

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:08 am

Mark,

I Love it!

This design takes full advantage of the benefits of composite construction. It totally reminds me of all the "plastic fantastic" homebuilt aircraft designs in my aviation magazines.

My own (crude by comparison) renderings are in my gallery. My concept was based on simple female mold blown chopped strand fiberglass construction. Crude and heavy by comparison but simple and relatively low cost. Even so, I don’t think I have the resources $$$$ to pull it off.

Your "Alien slug" profile is really cool. It would even lend itself to a mono wheel design but I suppose not at the scale it is now. Perhaps that would only work on a unit sized down for motorcycles or something.

Any way take a look at my stuff and tell me what you think.

Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby 3DTD » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:23 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I really like the profile of your "G tear CAD" drawing, and the way the fenders replicate that profile. That's exactly what I'm trying to do with the "Bedbug", but I'm not there yet. Also like the elegant simplicity, which is what Teardrops are supposed to be about.

Guess my "alien slug" isn't a TD, but I wanted to be able to stand up in at least one spot to put my pants on.

I'm gonna be late for work, gotta go....

Mark Lorris
3DTD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:49 am

Mark (3DTD),

That looks an excellent design - personally I see an airship influence in the nose, so it could be 'Bed-bug by Zeppelin'! It could have a tail fin as an optional extra. 8)

All that double curvature means so many hours of fairing that I'm not very jealous. I have a good method for fairing heavily curved surfaces if you want to achieve a really good finish.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby SpeedWagon » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:17 pm

Hello all
Hello Mark (3dtd )
I am new to this website, and I am interested to see your trailer design. I am making fiberglass touring trailers for Motorcycles and small cars, and may be of some help, and I am just up the road in GR. www.speedwagontrailers.com
If you could Email some pictures, Thanks
Dave Knight
SpeedWagon
Teardrop Inspector

Return to CAD secrets