Mosquito repellant

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:58 pm

Avon skin-so-soft works for me.
They used to just love me !
I could hear them over near the pond plotting
" Get the fat guy , He's juicey ! "
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:42 pm

This might sound stupid, but last fall, I noticed that the yellow jackets were in to everthing except my Bloody Marys and Martinis.
Maybe a cheap Vodka would be worth a try. :thumbsup: :roll:

Who knows? :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:03 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:This might sound stupid, but last fall, I noticed that the yellow jackets were in to everthing except my Bloody Marys and Martinis.

Can you take that orally or is it just a topical application ?
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:32 pm

bobhenry wrote:
Kurt (Indiana) wrote:This might sound stupid, but last fall, I noticed that the yellow jackets were in to everthing except my Bloody Marys and Martinis.

Can you take that orally or is it just a topical application ?

Bob If taken Orally, over period of hours, I tend to apply it topically when I try to walk. :lol:

But seriously, has anyone tried
"Ultrathon" or 40% "Repell" ?
These both work well (for me) but boy, don't breath in when you are spraying it. :shock: :?
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby razorback » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:31 pm

I have had very good luck with the thermacell lantern. While building my TD
in my garage during the summer, both doors had to be open because of the heat. Skeeters were unbearable. My brother who lives on the Ouachita River in southern Arkansas highly recommended this product. Bought one at wally world and it worked great. Must be in an area where wind is not an issue.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4956487
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby satch » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:24 pm

When I was in Brazil, We used a little deoderant (it came in a liquid there) and mixed it with a little cooking oil. If it worked there, and those 'sketters there are WICKED, it should work here. 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:29 pm

At one point, Backpackers magazine indicated that when using the stronger DEET products that you should not apply directly to skin (as many labels indicate), rather they suggested that you spray your jacket with the product and then place in a plastic bag. This allows it to saturate the material with it's insect repelling smells and thins out areas that may contact your skin.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Joshua » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:18 pm

I agree with the Deet comments. I backpack and hike in heavily wooded areas. All last summer I sprayed my pack, my clothes and shoes with Deet (Off or some other brand) and had no issues with bites. Without it (and wearing shorts) I was eaten alive in my own front yard.
-Joshua
Joshua
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jester » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:24 pm

We buy the cheap dollar store lemon scented ammonia. Mix it 1 cup to a gallon of water. I put it in a garden sprayer (pump type) and spray the grass all around the campsite. Works great and real cheap.
If it needs waxed OR pays to be waxed....It's gonna be trouble!!
Jester
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Finntec » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:59 am

The cure:
Winter Camping! (at least around here) 8)
Nov-mid May
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby cooterdude » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:28 pm

i use wd40 have for years i always spray my hands down before working on my cars and trucks "makes clean up easier " have never had a problem with skeeters also verry good for chaped hands
cooterdude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Geron wrote:I don't recommend this but I take Flecainide Acet Tablets for a heart arrythmia problem. Everybody's swatting bugs and I ask "what bugs?" ;)

'member that Tabasco commercial (Think it was tabasco)? 'Skeeter lights on this guys leg, draws a pint of blood, flies off and burst into flames???

'reckon them skeeters know if they draw my blood it tachycardia time :roll:

I'm not sure it's the meds but its a rare occasion that I have a mosquito light on me. I do like the catnip solution. I think I would try that one if the Flecainide quits working (if that's what keeps them off me)

g

Geron, I'm taking Toporol XL for my SVT. Maybe this will work on the bugs too. I'll let you know.

I'd rather have a few bugs than SVT but if both stayed away, that would be great. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Repel Eucalyptus has worked very well for me.
Scott G.

Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dreadcptflint » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:21 pm

Update, last year we added Thermacell to our anti skeeter kit. The little kits work really well around camp. We would set up about a 1/2 hour before dusk and dawn and it took care of the mosquitoes really well.

The web site is at: http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TwilightLane » Mon May 03, 2010 11:24 pm

I have a strong feeling about this. Bear with me.

MOST effective: Ben's 100. Or some other topical with a high percentage of Deet.

How do I know? I guided back country canoe trips in the Boundary Waters (MN) and Quetico (Ont, CA). The mosquitos can get so thick you can't hear the next guy talking over the buzzing, so thick you can't think straight. The _only_ think that worked well at all is DEET. I've seen it all: moth balls, catnip, baking soda, smudge pots, peppermint oil, mosquito coils, OFF, Avon SSS, headnets, DEET. Much of it is somewhat helpful. It's simply just hard to completely drive em off. The only foolproof methods I know are winter camping or strong winds!

DEET application is key as it can be harmful. Only _minimal_ application directly to skin as it can cause nerve damage, and possibly/supposedly genetic damage. It will sting like a sonuvabeech if you get it in your eyes, on mucus membranes and other tender private spots. Go ahead, ask me how I know that!! Instead apply to the clothes you are wearing. The 'apply to clothes and store it in a bag' idea is good. I got to where I didnt like to do laundry once I had my socks/pants/shirts nicely saturated.

Another warning, DEET WILL damage modern plastics. In one sense it's a solvent. Goretex melts like butter in a skillet when in contact with DEET. Plastic lens, cases, technical jackets, tent walls, etc all can be instantly discolored, marked and damaged. Careful what you touch when you have it on you hands.

Other ideas such as no bananas and B12 are good and proven ideas, but is only a slight deterrant. DEET is a chemical barrier that actually harms/irritates the mosquito. Mosquito coils can work great in an enclosed space like a barn. I like a handful of moth balls widely scattered around a campsite. It keeps most bothersome insects away and I don't mind the scent.

Anything with a citrus or fruity or floral or herbal scent or aroma (deoderant, body spray, cologne, scented soaps) are generally a bad idea when you are camping. Lots of insects are drawn by scent - you might not be bothered (only) by mosquitos, but lots of flying insects will come investigate you when you are coated with scent. Same goes for critters that like to chew, varmints and bears.

Avon Skin-So-Soft (SSS). I don't want to step on any toes, but my personal firsthand and professional experience is that plain SSS does NOT act as an insect repellant. In fact, as it is scented it seems to do quite the opposite. I've seen people terribly bitten while wearing Avon SSS-bitten worse than anyone else in a group. In fact, I had one child bitten so terribly (his parents refused to let him wear any other repellent) while wearing SSS by mosquitos and other biting insects that I considered a _medivac_. I'm going to repeat that: I once had a child camper so terribly bitten by mosquitos and other biting insects that I considered a medivac. He was wearing Avon SSS.

I know there is now a SSS version that contains insect repellant of some sort. I how no idea how effective it is. My comments above are limited to the plain version. But I'll tell you what, I carry a serious grudge against SSS.

Whew. My two cents.
Rob & Lori
Aspen & Tundra
My Instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Teardro ... l-Trailer/
TwilightLane
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets