Has anyone made and used a "Penny Stove"?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

penny stove

Postby jimmymack49 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:59 am

I've made a couple of the penny stoves from Heineken cans and have found them great for lighting charcoal using a chimney starter instead of using crumpled newspaper. It really gets the coals started in a hurry.
jimmymack49
Teardrop Inspector

Re: penny stove

Postby Micro469 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:48 pm

jimmymack49 wrote:I've made a couple of the penny stoves from Heineken cans and have found them great for lighting charcoal using a chimney starter instead of using crumpled newspaper. It really gets the coals started in a hurry.

Would these work?? :roll: 8)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Re: penny stove

Postby Dee Bee » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:35 pm

Micro469 wrote:
jimmymack49 wrote:I've made a couple of the penny stoves from Heineken cans and have found them great for lighting charcoal using a chimney starter instead of using crumpled newspaper. It really gets the coals started in a hurry.

Would these work?? :roll: 8)

They make a great Rocket Stove

http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Rocket%20Stove/Rocket%20Stove%20Web.htm

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby mandy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:11 pm

Dee Bee
That is one awsome project. :thumbsup:

Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby QuietOutdoorsman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:57 am

Ron Dickey wrote:The flames from these fuels are practically invisible and if the fuel is spilled near the flames, this can result in a fire catching and spreading very quickly. Handle with care and be sure to have no flammable material around the area of the stove. Do not use a stove such as this near peat sites or tinder-dry vegetation.

This is just sound advice for any and all backpacking stoves. The MSR Simmerlite I use is a white gas stove and the flames are next to invisible when its working properly. I've seen these little alcohol stoves before, but I prefer my MSR stove for some of the harsh conditions I end up in. You just can't drink the fuel....not that I'd be taking many hits off a bottle of Everclear either! :CC
QuietOutdoorsman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mooseisloose57 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:32 pm

I've made dozens of the penny type stoves. Even sold a few on ebay to boot. It's something good to know how to do in case of a power outage or the like.
I haven't tried the rocket stove, but I like the idea. We used to do something like it with a 25 gallon cast iron pot and a 55 gallon drum cut in half. Great for cooking pintos and chili beans at a pig pickin'.
I poked a badger with a spoon.
mooseisloose57
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bigwoods » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:15 pm

This is one I use. I made it several years ago and only use it when I go canoe camping and want to hold down the weight. Works pretty good for about 5 min. As said before, I am very careful with it and know it can get out of control.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:08 pm

I wonder if it's possible to fashion a safe teardrop heater out of a rocket stove? (Vented of course!) :? :? :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby MidTNJasonF » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:56 pm

I built one to the design on this site http://ygingras.net/b/2007/6/a-better-soda-can-stove

I built it for lightweight compact motorcycle tent camping when I did not have room in the saddle bags for my propane stove and cylinders. I need to try some different hole patterns and sizes as I never got mine to boil quick enough. I had plenty of luck heating bottled water to a near boil in chilly low 40's mornings that was perfect for making coffee.

It was also effective enough to make oatmeal in the mornings. That was really all I needed for and packed very small. It was s fun little project.
MidTNJasonF
Teardrop Master

Postby Jst83 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:01 pm

OK I was to lazy to read all the directions :oops: for those that have built one, what purpose does the penny serve?
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Geron » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Jst83 wrote:OK I was to lazy to read all the directions :oops: for those that have built one, what purpose does the penny serve?

Basically used for Ultra light backpacking. Weighs only a fraction of an ounce and will boil a liter of water in 4-5 minutes on a couple ounces of Denature alcohol. Primarily used for quick rehydration of dehydrated backpacking meals, teas, coffee, soups, etc.

For TD cooking I think they would be basically useless -- go with a DO and propane stoves.

I have a drawer full and hopefully will soon have an opportunity to try them out "in the field."

Use them VERY carefully. They seem harmless but are so light you can get into trouble with them before you know it.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:53 pm

Let me rephrase, What is the purpose of the penny in the penny stove?
I'll for sure stick with the DO
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Geron » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Jst83 wrote:Let me rephrase, What is the purpose of the penny in the penny stove?
I'll for sure stick with the DO

To the best of my understanding - the way I see it work is . . .

There is a hole in the middle of the burner through which the alcohol is filled. The penny serves to block the hole (once the stove is filled) and force the gaseous alcohol out the side burners. Many designs do not have the penny or the enclosed burner. A penny stove will work w/o the penny. Although some say not as efficiently w/o. I can't tell much difference in mine, with or w/o.

I built one with a T-nut in the middle and screwed in a thumb screw in the T-nut after filling and before ignition. That just adds extra weight if you're thinking Ultra Light Backpacking.

HTH's
g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:06 am

I see, Thank you
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby m38cdn » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:45 pm

Jst83 wrote:OK I was to lazy to read all the directions :oops: for those that have built one, what purpose does the penny serve?

Here is an example of a pop can stove. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x69z0b ... ove_school

I use one similar to this to light my charcoal in my charcoal chimney instead of using paper. like 10 times faster to light charcoal.
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on--Winston Churchill
m38cdn
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets