Pepsi G Stove instructions

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Pepsi G Stove instructions

Postby Brad Lustig » Fri May 20, 2005 12:11 pm

Don't know anything about this, just ran across it on another site
http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/peps ... ruct.shtml
Seems like a cool idea, though
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Oh yes the world famous alcohol stove's...

Postby vinoscooter » Fri May 20, 2005 2:18 pm

Ive been useing & building them for many years...The one your looking at is about the hardest one to build,although it's very efficient...A few years ago I quit useing the home built ones...The REI stoves far surpased any thing I could build(In my opinion)....TRANGIA is the brand name on them...Sold by REI...a top quality sporting goods store...I also have several of swiss army surplus stoves,same thing but a little larger...Mountainers have been useing these stoves for many years...Some countries even use them for military survival...They use rubbing alcohol,HEAT the stuff U use in your gas tank,Denatured alcohol...Even everclear carried by some liquor stores...Thats mainly what I used while backpacking...What ya don't put in the stoves You drank,or it even cleaned wounds,cuts.....There's alot of info on the web about these stoves...do some searches...Theres easier stoves to build...Id suggest building some of the ones useing common fiberglass isulation used in houses for a wick...& experment...I use little spice cans from walmart,a wick,screen for the top & thats your stove.The can lid goes on while carrying...ALLWAYS REMEMBER...These little stoves burn super hot...Be carefull...Vinoscooter
Last edited by vinoscooter on Fri May 20, 2005 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Sierra stoves

Postby Tim Greiner » Fri May 20, 2005 3:16 pm

Brad-
Here's another interesting one, probably the lightest way to go if fuel is available where you're going. My brother tried to homecraft one, had problems finding a fan that could take the heat. www.zzstove.com/

Tim Greiner
Building the classics of tomorrow, today!
Tim Greiner
Teardrop Inspector

Zip stove reply...

Postby vinoscooter » Fri May 20, 2005 5:56 pm

Also had one of these stoves...They caught the I of light weight packers..cause they use wood,leaves,twigs etc..don't have to carry fuel...bought it for 10.00 bucks new in the 80's...sold it last year for 55.00..so there still very popular...We tested this stove for rei..gave it a great rating...I think they still might carry them in their store...Unline store not sure..But there a dirty stove to pack...& somewhat bulky to carry...+ you have to carry xtra batteries...My personal favorite stove is REI's whisperlight international...A little pricey but offer long burning time,light to pack,parts are cheap & avalible..easy to maintain in the field...OPTIMUS makes a great little stove for survival & mountain climbing..I wouldn't use any of these stoves inside a teardrop...Great emergency stoves though...They have there place...When buying any type of equipment for camping & survival...Buy the best ,spend the few xtra bucks...& Take care of your equipment...
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Sat May 21, 2005 11:32 pm

try the one here:http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/altoids-stove/
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Re: Pepsi G Stove instructions

Postby Dee Bee » Sun May 22, 2005 6:58 am

Brad Lustig wrote:Don't know anything about this, just ran across it on another site
Seems like a cool idea, though

Hey Brad

These stoves are a lot of fun to build and "play" with. But alcohol stoves have an added danger other liquid fuel stoves dont share. Alcohol burns without any yellow and sometimes without any blue flame.

The stove can be lit and the camper can get burned because you can't see the flame and so reach into the flame or the camper makes the terrible mistake of openiong the alcohol bottle and tries to add more fuel. An intense fire can follow.

If you know the risks these can be light weight functional stoves. I have used them hiking often.

I would never use one in a TD however. Not even in the back galley area of an open hatch TD.

Here is why...

Alcohol fuel is very volitile. More so than gasoline and much more so than kerosine. Spilled liquid evaprates almost instantly and it looks like it is gone. But the flamable vapor isn;t. The vapor is heavier than air and it will flow to the lowest drawer, cabinet, or cavity in the TD. When you light the stove the vapor trail will also ignite.

In MHO these tiny alcohol fuel stoves are not for children to play with or use.

I only use the can stoves in completely open areas out doors. Even then I am always careful about what is "down terrain" from the stove.

By the way...

There are fewer hydro carbons in alcohol fuel than white gas etc. There for it takes more alcohol fuel / unit of weight to boil water than white gas propain etc...

Have fun! Be safe! Camp Happy!

DEE BEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

REPLY TO DEE BEE

Postby vinoscooter » Sun May 22, 2005 3:10 pm

WELL SAID DEE BEE.... :thumbsup: THESE ARE DANGEROUS LITTLE STOVES...
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Sun May 22, 2005 9:48 pm

These are not dangerous little stoves, per se, any more than a Coleman stove or a Coleman lantern: there's the need to pay attention with any of the three.

I have used these stoves as Scout projects. We made a point of setting them on concrete away from any vegetation and filling them carefully before we lit them when they were made, and then using them in the field on bare ground with rocks underneath them.

Given those precautions -- and that we're talking a dozen boys in the fourth and fifth grade -- I don't think these stoves are any worse than charcoal or Whisperlites. You do have to be aware of what you're doing, of course.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

RE...

Postby vinoscooter » Mon May 23, 2005 1:15 am

Don't know anything about this, just ran across it on another site
Seems like a cool idea, though..As posted by brad lustig....This is mainly a discussion...About how these stoves would apply for use by teardrop user's...I think so anyway...I also have used these stoves since my scouting days..late 50's mid 60's..Carbide lamps,VERY DAngerous,I use them all the time...Well I collect them..Anyway it sounds like you are super scout leader,giving all the supervision & instuction the kids would ever need useing these great stoves...Most anyone can learn to use these & other little stoves properly...Brad Lustig..the person that started the post...Seemed not to know much about them...So I was giving a little history,& some ideas...as what they are,just a little back ground on them...Fire is dangerous...any time any where...Inside a tear drop...Extremly dangerous,even for an experienced user( just my opinion)...My little stoves go w/me whenever I camp...I'll never use one in a tear drop though...Ideas,points of view,many ways of doing the same thing..Thats why I love this forum...My camp pod would never have gotten off the ground without T&TTT...Basically My pod is a gift from this forum. I used all it's knowlege & inspiration....vinoscooter :)
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby Brad Lustig » Mon May 23, 2005 9:18 am

Yeah, I don't know a thing about them. I've only used an open fire and Coleman stove in all of my camping days (not very many).
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Postby Dee Bee » Mon May 23, 2005 12:07 pm

Laredo wrote:These are not dangerous little stoves, per se, any more than a Coleman stove or a Coleman lantern: there's the need to pay attention with any of the three.

I have used these stoves as Scout projects. We made a point of setting them on concrete away from any vegetation and filling them carefully before we lit them when they were made, and then using them in the field on bare ground with rocks underneath them.

Given those precautions -- and that we're talking a dozen boys in the fourth and fifth grade -- I don't think these stoves are any worse than charcoal or Whisperlites. You do have to be aware of what you're doing, of course.

The danger comes from not understanding the properties of the fuel and the nature of heavier than air vapors. Good education, wise training and safe practise can make these fun little stoves. I have used them and enjoy them. Still I would say --- "User be aware."

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Bigwoods » Tue May 24, 2005 12:40 am

I made the Pepsi can stove and have used it while canoe camping for a short week end. Had to pack my stuff in and wanted minmal weight. I took it as more of a challenge to see if it would work. I think I can boil a cup of water faster than with a Coleman stove.. I agree with the advise. Use caution. but it works great. Not for kids or adults with half a brain.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Return to Camping Secrets