Is anybody in WV?

Northeast Region including New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Massachusetts & Connecticut - Tearjerkers founder Todd Brunengraber Also New England, New York State, Liberty Bell, and Potomac Basin Chapters of the TearJerkers

New guy in southern WV

Postby gcollins » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:18 am

I know this thread's two years old but I'm curious about teardrop builders in my area. I'm in Man, WV (Logan County) and just came home from Harbor Freight with a frame for my new teardrop project. Been thinking about it for a couple of years, and since spending a week with the wife and kids sleeping on the ground at Canaan Valley, am getting really serious. We love to run around the 219 / 220 corridor from White Sulpher Springs up to Canaan and Blackwater Falls. Hoping the ttt will make sleeping a little nicer for the wife and I, as well as cutting down the prep time for camping by at least a couple of days!

How many of you built your td's without ever seeing one? That's where I am right now. Only one I ever laid eyes on is the one at Gander Mtn. and couldn't get anyone to show us the inside of it. Our big debate at this point is whether to go 4' or 5' wide (we are not small people). The plans I have use a solid ply floor laid right on the trailer frame. If I go 5' then I have to frame up a complete floor, adding a lot of weight. So I'm tempted to just stick with the 4'. Any thoughts?

Gregg
gcollins
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New guy in southern WV

Postby Creamcracker » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:53 pm

gcollins wrote:I know this thread's two years old but I'm curious about teardrop builders in my area. I'm in Man, WV (Logan County) and just came home from Harbor Freight with a frame for my new teardrop project. Been thinking about it for a couple of years, and since spending a week with the wife and kids sleeping on the ground at Canaan Valley, am getting really serious. We love to run around the 219 / 220 corridor from White Sulpher Springs up to Canaan and Blackwater Falls. Hoping the ttt will make sleeping a little nicer for the wife and I, as well as cutting down the prep time for camping by at least a couple of days!

How many of you built your td's without ever seeing one? That's where I am right now. Only one I ever laid eyes on is the one at Gander Mtn. and couldn't get anyone to show us the inside of it. Our big debate at this point is whether to go 4' or 5' wide (we are not small people). The plans I have use a solid ply floor laid right on the trailer frame. If I go 5' then I have to frame up a complete floor, adding a lot of weight. So I'm tempted to just stick with the 4'. Any thoughts?

Gregg

I went with a 4ft wide for several reason -- mainly because it was easier not to have to mess with extending the sides on a HF trailer. However, my wife and I are not big people! We played around and laid out the 6 x 4 space on the floor in the main living room to determine if it ws going to work for us. It does! Others on this forum will tell you to go with the 5ft.
Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Re: New guy in southern WV

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Creamcracker wrote:
gcollins wrote:I know this thread's two years old but I'm curious about teardrop builders in my area. I'm in Man, WV (Logan County) and just came home from Harbor Freight with a frame for my new teardrop project. Been thinking about it for a couple of years, and since spending a week with the wife and kids sleeping on the ground at Canaan Valley, am getting really serious. We love to run around the 219 / 220 corridor from White Sulpher Springs up to Canaan and Blackwater Falls. Hoping the ttt will make sleeping a little nicer for the wife and I, as well as cutting down the prep time for camping by at least a couple of days!

Gregg

I went with a 4ft wide for several reason -- mainly because it was easier not to have to mess with extending the sides on a HF trailer. However, my wife and I are not big people! We played around and laid out the 6 x 4 space on the floor in the main living room to determine if it ws going to work for us. It does! Others on this forum will tell you to go with the 5ft.
Philip

Greg:

Philip has a good idea. Lay it out on the floor and see if you can stand to sleep in that space. Keep in mind that if you normally hang your hands / feet / whatever off the edge of the bed, you WON'T be able to do that in a TD, unless you get really creative. If you can't stand to sleep in a 4', then go with the 5' wide. We're not small people either, so opting for the 5' wide (which is what we did) is nothing new around here!

Consider something else: If you have to frame up the floor, you will then have space UNDER the bed for storage - which is invaluable. Alternatively, if you haven't modified the trailer, you might be able to return the trailer that you got and order a 5' wide one.

If you haven't seen a TD yet, you ought to go to the North Meets South Rally on Aug 7 - 10, 2008 in Max Meadows, VA. It may even be close enough to daytrip for you. Get on I-77 south and its not far over the state border. Yeah, I know. Its a WHOLE 'nuther country out there, but we're really not so bad once you get to know us. . . . .

We're not too far over the border ourselves, but we have family in Fayetteville, WV, so we get to WV on occasion.

Andrea.
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Postby gcollins » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks, everybody for the idea. I think it may have saved us from making a big mistake. The verdict is: we just can't do 4 feet. We can fit in the space, but the process of getting in and out of the doors, as well as having room for our arms, rolling over without popping off the walls, etc., have us deciding on a 5' width. Now comes the fun part -- deciding how to go about the framing. The 5' wide trailer frame is almost double the price.

Andrea, thanks for the info about the North Meets South Rally. I had no idea it was that close! We're not too unfamiliar with that part of VA. A lot of my wife's family is in Princeton. We are picking up her aunt there this Friday and heading down to Lemaster, VA for a Boyd family get-together.
:picnic:
gcollins
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sid » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:36 pm

You might consider a 5x8 no floor trailer by Carry-On. They are available from Northern Tool and TSC. That's what we built on. It's been over 5,000 miles already this year.

Price was $299.00 on sale.

sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Summrsville, Wv. here

Postby John T. Hodgen » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:39 pm

Hey all,
My name is John T and my girlfriend is named Linda. I'm almost done with my Td after 2 1/2 months of work. We are planning to be at Staunton Va. for the Tearjerkers Fallfest Gathering at WalnutHills campground on October 17-19. It will be my Teardrop's maiden voyage. Lots to do and camp around Summersville Lake/dam. :applause: :worship: 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby Gunswinger » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:27 pm

I'm from Huntington, Not got the build going yet got a lot to learn first. But I do a lot of dutch oven cooking. And another thing I am in Kentucky just about once a day.... LOL I live about 2 miles from the border. I can be in Ky, Ohio, and WV in less than thirty minutes. Beautiful state, come and see for yourself everyone.
Gunswinger
Teardrop Builder

Postby daddiozz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:08 pm

...Just moved to Beckley a few weeks ago ,from Ga..teardrops make good moving/utility trailers too... ;)
daddiozz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John T. Hodgen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:28 pm

hey Daddiozz,
Welcome from down the road in Summersville. Where in Ga. were you at?--we have kin in Decatur. If you ever feel like camping let us know and maybe we can camp together. We are going to Ky Tearjerker's gathering in Frankfort, Ky towards the end of the month.
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby daddiozz » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:21 pm

John T. Hodgen wrote:hey Daddiozz,
Welcome from down the road in Summersville. Where in Ga. were you at?--we have kin in Decatur. If you ever feel like camping let us know and maybe we can camp together. We are going to Ky Tearjerker's gathering in Frankfort, Ky towards the end of the month.

...we were just outside of Athens by about 20 miles in a lil town called Jefferson....we're in Coal City now.
daddiozz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John T. Hodgen » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:42 am

Hey all West Virginians,
I have PM'D evryone that is registered on both the Tearjerkers and T&TTT about the "Mountaineers of West Virginia" chapter of Tearjerkers. I have had one response, and that was from someone that lives in Ky. but who works in Wv. :thinking: There is 30 members between the two forums. The surrounding Chapters are supporting our chapter and ready to come to any gathering that we have. As I said in the PMs, I'd like to get a "Meet & Greet" before the snow flies. Come on guys, let's get started!! :thumbsup:
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby John T. Hodgen » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:19 pm

Hey all ,
Just to let you know we know have 3 on the list. I went to the Buckeye/Liberty Bell Tearjerkers gathering in Hookstown, Pa. yesterday! Had about 14-16 trailers and everyone is really happy that Wv. now has a chapter and was wondering when we'll have our first gathering.
I ran 3 adds in the Ol' Mountain Trader looking for Teardroppers, Tiny Travel Trailer and anyone that wants to camp with us to get in touch. The ads should be in the next issue and am looking forward to a big response.
I'm thinking late Sept. or early Oct. at Battle Run Campground up from the Summersville Dam. Also looking into a Zipline tour over the Gauley River and one to the New River Gorge Bridge. Doing research and will post more as I get more info.
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby doris s. » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:19 am

I live in Jefferson, Maryland just a few miles from Harper's Ferry, and Charlestown, WV. We love West Virginia!
doris s.
500 Club

Previous

Return to Northeast