Teardrop name impressions

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

What's your first impression?

wood-yerd
21%
wood-yard
62%
woody-ard
15%
Other
3%

Total votes : 34

Teardrop name impressions

Postby 2bits » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:58 pm

I named my Woody style Modernaire "The Woodyard" and I am wondering how people pronounce it to themselves at first glance.

I am thinking "wood-yard", "woody-ard", and the correct pronunciation: "wood-yerd". I just wonder the impressions that people get as I am considering spelling it "Woodyrd", to force the correct pronunciation on the logo on the tear. Just wondering if it is necessary. I voted since I guess my vote counts too :lol:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby mechmagcn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:10 pm

Well since I grew up following my Granpa around the woodyerd in north Mississippi, that's the way I'll always pronounce it.
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:52 pm

I never thought about that, maybe it is a southern thing hmm!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:07 pm

On the west coast it's pronounced as it appears just like all words are.
Someone please explain why the English language takes such a beating in the south. :roll: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby madjack » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:31 pm

...whall Danny, itza heat 'n humidititty thang :lol: :lol: :lol: .............................. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby 2bits » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:10 am

To me saying "WoodYerd" actually sounds British English as much as it does Southern U.S.. Wood-Yard is two words, but Woodyard is one word and is thus pronounced differently technically speaking, but that's what the poll is all about.

Danny, how do you pronounce "knife"? :lol:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:44 am

2bits wrote:

Danny, how do you pronounce "knife"? :lol:

We could go back and forth on the peculiarities of the English language but I pronounce knife with a silent "k" as instructed in Elementary School. I tease around calling it ka-nife. I've noticed that when a Southerner moves to the west coast the slang almost disappears, must be a cultural thing I guess :thinking: . Your woodyard pronunciation varieties are new to me and I see it as wood & yard pronounced together. What does woodyard mean when using it to name your TD? :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:45 am

Okay, Thomas, throw your hands up in the air in frustration:

'Woodyard' could be pronounced Woody-ard or Wood-yard. Add to that the fact that the curl on the end of the 'W' looks like a '4' and whadyaget?
Woody for ard? For woodyard? :lol:
Sorry, Even 'Woodyrd' comes out Wood yard to me; so, it must be a Southern thing. (What is a woodyerd?)

While I couldn't find 'woodyerd 'or 'yerd' in the dictionary, we all know that a 'woody' is something made of or containing wood. (That fits.) An 'ard' is defined in Webster's Dictionary as "one that is characterized by performing some action, possessing some quality, or being associated with some thing esp. conspicuously or excessively." (That fits, too.) So, why fight it? Is it really so bad? :thinking: ;)

You're doing a great job on your trailer (I'd like to do that well!) and you can be happy and proud of it whatever its name. :thumbsup: :applause:

...Sharon
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:38 am

Danny, thanks for taking the joke in stride and being positive :) the name is actually the last name of a woman I hold a torch for. The best name for a "boat" is a woman. the fact that it plays off the woody style of the trailer makes the name stand on itls own as well although i can see how that could make people want to say is woody-ard too not knowing the story. I am actually surprised by this as much as i understand it haha. Sharon, thank you for the nice compliment on the trailer! I havent settled on the font yet but i wanted an art deco look that also looked like a car emblem too. woodyerd is not a word, i just spelled it phonetically so people could understand how it is to be pronounced. i guess technically it is being pronounced wood yard but the 'a' is dropped or lessened due to relaxed speech. at least the people in the forum will know even if people on the street dont lol! thanks for the input and keep the votes coming! hmm The Woodyord maybe??? lol...
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:02 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:On the west coast it's pronounced as it appears just like all words are.
Someone please explain why the English language takes such a beating in the south. :roll: Danny

:thinking: Might be that we were here first. 8) Could be the Brittish and all Southerners do it right. 8) :lol: My mom replaces most a's with er's. She was born and raised in Franklin Co. VA. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby cs_whypt2 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:26 pm

I want to say Wood Yard. And I want to tell you I am going to say Wood Yard, but give me two seconds and it will be wood yerd.

Dianne
:wine:
cs_whypt2
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:34 pm

cs_whypt2 wrote:I want to say Wood Yard. And I want to tell you I am going to say Wood Yard, but give me two seconds and it will be wood yerd.

Dianne

Dianne, I think you just hit the nail on the head!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Return to User Polls