Ceramic Dutch Oven

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

Ceramic Dutch Oven

Postby jhjspecks » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:29 pm

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... so+Suggest

Don't know how long the deal is going to last. we have one for the house and it works great.
jhjspecks
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ma3tt » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:37 pm

C.I. or die!!!!!
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby asianflava » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:24 am

They're still Cast Iron, they just have a porcelain coating on them. Lodge makes "Lodge Enamel" which is pretty much the same. The pricey Le Creuset Dutch Ovens are very similar to the Lodge.

It's almost the best of both worlds, the heat conductivity of iron but a more durable "seasoning" of glass. They are still heavy though.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gaelen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:42 am

Staub also makes a fine enameled cast iron dutch oven (and some other sizes/types of pans) which are available through cooking stores and QVC. QVC has its own line of enameled cast iron, too. Both brands make fine pieces--and the knobs and handles are also enameled cast iron, so there are no temperature limits. You can use 'em in the hottest fire or in an oven at 500 degrees.

I agree--best of both worlds.
I have some second-hand LeCreuset pans that I use in the house on the stovetop--I also use my 10" Camp Chef DO in the oven. And they've all seen a campfire, too.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby QuietOutdoorsman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:14 pm

I came across that Tramontina line at Target and really liked the price. But the price being much lower than the Lodge or Le Creuset lines I've looked at got me suspicious. :roll: Yep, made in China. :thumbdown: Nothing against the honorable Chinese, but I have to wonder what shortcuts are being taken to produce, ship and import the product to the US for a lot less than a comparable product made in the US. The weight of the 12" fry pan felt about the same as my Lodge 12" so maybe it's ok.

Personally I'm going to take a pass and pay the extra for the Lodge enameled DO for home.
QuietOutdoorsman
Teardrop Advisor

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2