cut all at once or cut as needed

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

How did you cut you plywood pc's

1. it looked like a puzzle cut as much as I could from 1 sheet
33%
2. Got some ply and cut it as I needed it.
67%
did mostly 1. but some of 2.
No votes

Total votes : 9

cut all at once or cut as needed

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:42 pm

when you designed your trailer or modified the trailer plans that you got.

Did you do the figure what would fit on a pc of plywood then cut it all at once or did you cut it as you needed it.

I cut as needed now I am planning to try and fit most of the pc's needed from one sheet as prices rize.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby SuperTroll » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:11 pm

I cut the larger pieces first, then took the scraps and stacked them off to the side.....when I needed the smaller pieces, I marked and cut them from the scraps...worked out well....

Since what I built was done from photos and a few written specifications, layout was a guess, there were plans available, but typical to the Male, I said in my heart...."PLANS?!...I don' need no steeenking PLANS!"...

working out the specifics during the build was part and parcel to the project...exercise both the hands AND the mind....

so the answer IS: A little of both.....

(Wadda I win, huh?, huh?...there's a prize right....oh boy, oh boy..wadded I win?)
Keep thinking outside the box and all manner of ideas will become reality......

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... Ul?start=0
SuperTroll
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:25 pm

SuperTroll wrote:I cut the larger pieces first, then took the scraps and stacked them off to the side.....when I needed the smaller pieces, I marked and cut them from the scraps...worked out well....

I couldn't have said it better. However, since I ran my 4x8 sheets vertical I will add that I was careful that seams fell on reinforced areas like the galley wall and at the door edge. I may have wasted a little more that way but it made sense to me to have the seams reinforced.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Dean_A » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:48 pm

If I had tried to cut it all at once, I would have wasted a LOT of plywood. My "plan" changed on a weekly basis. :lol:
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby planovet » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:08 pm

I'm with Dean. I bought AND cut as I needed it...
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby starleen2 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:50 pm

Cut as needed! not too good at planning ahead. However I did have to take some back - bought too much - BOTH TIMES
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby SuperTroll » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:41 am

No taking any of my ply back, because before I did ANYthing, I used a pan and roller and coated every piece of ply with sealer.....doesn't matter if you use waterproofing or paint sealer, by sealing the whole flat sheet FIRST, the only thing you need to do afterwards is seal the edges...same with specification lumber...unless you intend to stain it, SEAL it.

Then, when I began the layout process the pencil stood out because of the white sealer I had used...the red chalkline also stood out well.
Keep thinking outside the box and all manner of ideas will become reality......

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... Ul?start=0
SuperTroll
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:55 pm

I coated all my deck plywood with sealer (CPES) before I cut it. Then, I had a little of the sealer left over so I coated 'em again. After it was dry, I cut it...or tried to. Ruined two brand new saw blades and had to recharge the batteries three times but I finally got through it. I finished up the last 3 inches of the last cut with a hacksaw and a lot of patience. If CPES had been around during WWII, they coulda made tanks outa plywood triple coated with that stuff! From now on, I'll cut only what I need when I need it; and fit and drill it first before sealing! ...Talk about learning the hard way!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:55 pm

SuperTroll wrote:
(Wadda I win, huh?, huh?...there's a prize right....oh boy, oh boy..wadded I win?)

I think you won a round tuit... Just print this out and cut it out! :)

Mike...

P.S. I cut as I go also...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to User Polls