New Wanna-be- floor 1x2 or 2x2?

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

New Wanna-be- floor 1x2 or 2x2?

Postby Frosteez » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:58 pm

My wife and I fell in love w/teardrops last weekend and want to build one. We are just planning now (yeah right honey) but I have a question on the floor. I see plans w/1x2 or 2x2. 2x2 seems like there would be more to screw the sides to but I never see teardrops blown off alongside the road. Any suggestions?
Frosteez
Teardrop Builder

Postby starleen2 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:59 am

How much do you weigh? And what flooring material are you going to use? How thick is it going to be? these are all factors in considering your question - Different materials require different supporting structures. We have 2x3 under a 3/4 in. plywood floor - sure it's overkill but there is NO flex in the floor. You requirements will vary.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:24 am

Yes, it all depends on the design and construction. You really can't go wrong with 2x2s. But you can also go lighter or heavier depending...

I went as heavy as a 2x4 for one floor spar where the seam was...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby planovet » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:35 am

I agree, it depends on a variety of factors. In my case, the trailer I bought had 4x3 angle for the sides, I had to use 2x4 so the floor would be level with the top of the sides. It would have been nicer to use smaller material but I'm not too concerned about weight and I'm a big guy (6'3" and 250+) so the add heft is nice. No flex at all in my floor.

ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Return to Generic Building Plans