Bicycler's -- What have I got here?????

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Bicycler's -- What have I got here?????

Postby Geron » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:16 pm

Bikers,

Found these two bikes at the dumpster today. The dump man said they were not taken so I got them both for nothing.

What have I got? -- Check the album for pics.

I picked them up because of the triangular frame and plan to mount one of the bike engine's that mounts in the triangular frame.

Like this one: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/

One's a Raleigh M-60
The other one's a Spokane something or another.

I'm sure they are cheap bikes but should be able to hold the little engine.

Lordy, another "project." Help me!!!

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:21 pm

Looks like a good snag. I wish I could snag something like that to play with either an electric bike, or a gas bike...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Bicycler's -- What have I got here?????

Postby elmo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:38 pm

Geron wrote:Bikers,

Found these two bikes at the dumpster today. The dump man said they were not taken so I got them both for nothing.

I picked them up because of the triangular frame and plan to mount one of the bike engine's that mounts in the triangular frame.

One's a Raleigh M-60

g

The Spokane I never heard of, but the Raleigh was good for its time and will hold a motor just fine!!
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:55 pm

http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/

Now THAT"S Biking - easy style :twisted:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Geron » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:41 pm

starleen2 wrote:Image

http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/

Now THAT"S Biking - easy style :twisted:

With my Knees, Morton's Neuroma, etc. it has to be easy :roll: :lol: :cry:

g
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby D.J. » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:53 pm

With my Knees, Morton's Neuroma, etc. it has to be easy :roll: :lol: :cry:

g[/quote]

The motor and accessories do add extra weight to the bike and makes it harder to peddle but it only takes about 3 turns of the crank to push off and start the motor . The clutch is a motorcycle style and once the motor is started it can be used to assist in taking off from a dead stop . There are also automatic versions with a pull start . A pull starter can also be added to the standard model but you will also have to add a wider pedal crank .

It is a great hobby/obsession . Mine is all fueled up and I am getting ready to take it for a cruise down the local dirt roads . ... D.J.
D.J.
Teardrop Master

Postby Geron » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:49 pm

D.J. wrote:With my Knees, Morton's Neuroma, etc. it has to be easy :roll: :lol: :cry:

g

The motor and accessories do add extra weight to the bike and makes it harder to peddle but it only takes about 3 turns of the crank to push off and start the motor . The clutch is a motorcycle style and once the motor is started it can be used to assist in taking off from a dead stop . There are also automatic versions with a pull start . A pull starter can also be added to the standard model but you will also have to add a wider pedal crank .

It is a great hobby/obsession . Mine is all fueled up and I am getting ready to take it for a cruise down the local dirt roads . ... D.J.[/quote]

Thanks D.J.
I visited a motor bike forum briefly. I'm just in the "I think I want to do this" stage.

How do these little engines do on the hills. Here in Southern Appalachia we have a "bunch" of hills/mountains.

g
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:54 pm

D.J. wrote:With my Knees, Morton's Neuroma, etc. it has to be easy :roll: :lol: :cry:

g

It is a great hobby/obsession . Mine is all fueled up and I am getting ready to take it for a cruise down the local dirt roads . ... D.J.[/quote]

is this one yours?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby D.J. » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:43 pm

We have pretty gentle rolling hills around here . Mostly wide open prairie . There are different sized rear sprockets available for speed or torque and a couple of people have developed a system for using the bicycles gears for even more flexibility .

Yes Mike that is my baby . It is a mid 60s CCM that I got at a local garage sale for $10.00 . I have over 1400 motor driven miles on it so far . ... D.J.
D.J.
Teardrop Master

Brakes

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:52 am

The one problem I see is brakes, a coaster brake is not going to cut it. 70% of your braking is done with the front wheels, and steel wheels using caliper brakes, in rain they do not stop. I will not ride with some one who has inadequate braking, and that includes steel wheels. going is optional, stopping is not.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:12 am

One's a Raleigh M-60

g

Sometimes you can come across some nice stuff that someone else has discarded. Most of the time things are thrown away for a reason.

During the season. At the shop I work, each week we have people bring in bikes that are not worth fixing. The cost of getting them to work is greater than the bikes value. [There are times the repair is still done. They may still have a functional bike, for less than they could buy a new one, and still do it, but all to often, It just is not worth doing.]

I can't tell from the pictures what shape. those bikes are in. Of course it is hard to tell it's true condition from just a photo, no matter how detailed.

The chain on the Raleigh looks pretty rusted. Is it just cosmetic, is it pretty seized up. It might need a new chain. which by itself is not a big deal, but chains wear with their sprockets . If they bike was actually used. you may need to replace the rear cassette, if you replace the chain. If it was used with a worn chain, then the front sprockets may be worn also.

What shape are the cables and casing? Do the derailleurs move? If they are rusty, they may need to be replace. Some of the time, with lube and work you can rescue them, sometimes not. What shape are the tires in? Is there dry rot? Are the wheels true? Are the spoke rusted, do their nipples turn, or are they rusted?

At our shop you could bring it in and get a free estimate. We would look at it, and give you an honest assessment of what you have. Other places ?

good luck. :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Geron » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:52 am

Fenlason wrote:

One's a Raleigh M-60

g

Sometimes you can come across some nice stuff that someone else has discarded. Most of the time things are thrown away for a reason.

During the season. At the shop I work, each week we have people bring in bikes that are not worth fixing. The cost of getting them to work is greater than the bikes value. [There are times the repair is still done. They may still have a functional bike, for less than they could buy a new one, and still do it, but all to often, It just is not worth doing.]

I can't tell from the pictures what shape. those bikes are in. Of course it is hard to tell it's true condition from just a photo, no matter how detailed.

The chain on the Raleigh looks pretty rusted. Is it just cosmetic, is it pretty seized up. It might need a new chain. which by itself is not a big deal, but chains wear with their sprockets . If they bike was actually used. you may need to replace the rear cassette, if you replace the chain. If it was used with a worn chain, then the front sprockets may be worn also.

What shape are the cables and casing? Do the derailleurs move? If they are rusty, they may need to be replace. Some of the time, with lube and work you can rescue them, sometimes not. What shape are the tires in? Is there dry rot? Are the wheels true? Are the spoke rusted, do their nipples turn, or are they rusted?

At our shop you could bring it in and get a free estimate. We would look at it, and give you an honest assessment of what you have. Other places ?

good luck. :D

I posted that back in July after I found the bikes.

After talking to a bike shop I came to the same conclusion.
A couple weekes ago they were placed on the road at my driveway with the sign

FREE!

They were gone before noon.

The Raleigh was functional but the "Huffy's" freewheeler was frozen/chain non-functional. I gave up on them.

Hey!!! thanks for the response anyway.

Geron
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby the pvc bike guy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Did you no that Huffy and Mongoose was bought by a Japanese company 6 years ago but kept the names so the bicycles would sell at the same price in the USA. :o
Smile all the time and thy will leave you alone.

More Bicycle Photos
http://push.pickensplan.com/photo/photo ... ulffolmhpk
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Bicycles