SawTooth XL - Update 6.27.11 - Repairs started

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby jdarkoregon » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:17 am

I wouldn't think the corner on that hatch would be very strong, you making it from just wood, or metal?

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby stomperxj » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:19 pm

jdarkoregon wrote:I wouldn't think the corner on that hatch would be very strong, you making it from just wood, or metal?

John

Yeah I was thinking about building a steel sub frame for it out of some 1x1 tube. should be pretty easy. It's shown as wood right now in the renderings but I'll probably end up with steel...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby rasp » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:25 pm

cool looking adaptation.

i work for an OSB manufacturer, and with the housing as bad as it is i sure would like you to buy all the OSB you need. however, it is designed to be used for sheathing and or flooring. it does both of these jobs nicely and inexpensively. unsanded OSB is not uniform in thickness, it can vary as much as .1". for a home builder this is not a problem, for a sandwich wall on a TD it would be a problem. besides the other problem mentioned by others here, it is also heaver than plywood.

another note: plywood and OSB also can be out of square up to 1/8" measured diagonally corner to corner.
Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking
rasp
Teardrop Master

Postby stomperxj » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:38 pm

rasp wrote:cool looking adaptation.

i work for an OSB manufacturer, and with the housing as bad as it is i sure would like you to buy all the OSB you need. however, it is designed to be used for sheathing and or flooring. it does both of these jobs nicely and inexpensively. unsanded OSB is not uniform in thickness, it can vary as much as .1". for a home builder this is not a problem, for a sandwich wall on a TD it would be a problem. besides the other problem mentioned by others here, it is also heaver than plywood.

another note: plywood and OSB also can be out of square up to 1/8" measured diagonally corner to corner.

Thanks for the tips rasp... that's good information to have... I guess I need to price out some plywood... :thumbsup:
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:19 am

Ok here is what I came up with for the hatch with a steel frame. I rounded off the body too. I am in the process of building a 1" square tube bender so the tube bends wont be an issue, just the wood ones :thinking:

Image\

Comments and suggestions are always welcome...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby bve » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:12 pm

I like it! :thumbsup:

Between your design and Steve's design I am pretty convinced I want to build to the GrassHopper profile too. They just look right behind Jeeps - although mine is pretty much a bone stock TJ not a lifted XJ like your's or Steve's.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby stomperxj » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Ok here's my spreadsheet. My initial $750 estimate is a little off. I should be able to get some stuff second hand so that should take some off. I don't have windows on there yet either... I might have found a local source for windows. I need to stop in sometime and check the prices. The eBay windows are a little spendy...

Let me know what else I need on there...

And here are a couple more screen shots just for fun:

stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby bve » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:29 pm

You appear to be missing frame materials for a tongue, and I don't see wheels and tires listed. I'm sure someone will mention using stainless screws rather than drywall screws - at least for the floor.

I'm hardly a proper consultant though, I'm still not building myself :)
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Steve F » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:20 pm

Seems pretty cheap to me and light as well, I doubt it'll come in at either of those. What sort of coupler are you running, my offroad one was $120AUD, a road ball coupler will have very little articulation.

No battery or internal lighting? Pricing for flares and mudflaps? Is the axle price and weight including the springs, are you going to run offroad springs with a shackle and eye or just slipper springs, my axle and springs weigh a lot more than 75lbs for the lot but they are designed for offroad and the axle is solid 45mm thick steel bar.

Also, does the wood pricing include internal cabinetry as well and the bench in the back? The more I look the more questions I have :) Is 12ft of wiring for the taillights and hooked to the jeep, I guess with no internal lighting etc you wont need any more, I've gone through heaps in mine along with switches, battery charger, DVD/CD/Car Stereo, LCD screen, LED lighting etc.

Anyway, it should be a fun build to watch.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:48 pm

bve wrote:You appear to be missing frame materials for a tongue, and I don't see wheels and tires listed. I'm sure someone will mention using stainless screws rather than drywall screws - at least for the floor.

I'm hardly a proper consultant though, I'm still not building myself :)

The frame materials is for (2) 24' sticks of 2x2x.120 so i'll actually have about 10-12' left over after the frame and tongue are done... I have 2 new tires already i'm going to use and I only need 1 more wheel. thats a good point about stainless screws on the floor.... Thanks for the comments bve ;)

Steve F wrote:Seems pretty cheap to me and light as well, I doubt it'll come in at either of those. What sort of coupler are you running, my offroad one was $120AUD, a road ball coupler will have very little articulation.

Yeah those are preliminary weights. I know the frame estimate is close but the rest is a guess after some calculator work. I am going to build an off road coupler for it like the one you are running Steve. Shouldn't be hard..

Steve F wrote:No battery or internal lighting? Pricing for flares and mudflaps? Is the axle price and weight including the springs, are you going to run offroad springs with a shackle and eye or just slipper springs, my axle and springs weigh a lot more than 75lbs for the lot but they are designed for offroad and the axle is solid 45mm thick steel bar.

I figured I'd stay simple to start out with and run provisions for power but hold off due to fund shortage for now. I'm going to build my fenders out of 16ga sheet metal and the flaps I forgot :) The axle price includes springs, hanger kit, lugs, everything and yes it will have shackles. The axle is a hollow tube 3500# unit purchased locally and again an estimate on the weight.

Steve F wrote:Also, does the wood pricing include internal cabinetry as well and the bench in the back? The more I look the more questions I have :) Is 12ft of wiring for the taillights and hooked to the jeep, I guess with no internal lighting etc you wont need any more, I've gone through heaps in mine along with switches, battery charger, DVD/CD/Car Stereo, LCD screen, LED lighting etc.
Anyway, it should be a fun build to watch.

Cheers
Steve

Yeah the cabinets are included. they are pretty small so shouldn't take too much wood to build. I'm looking at some LED strip lights and some other LED lights for it and I actually was looking at the drawing trying to figure out where a battery will fit. If i can source a smallish deep cycle, it will fit in the rear cargo area on one side. Really, I'm just trying to get a box built initially and then keep adding to it as I get the funds.

Every time I look at my spreadsheet, I say "Oh yeah I need that... oh and one of those too..." so it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. :) It should be fun to build. Hopefully my motor home sells this week and I can go buy some steel and CO2 for the welder and get crackin on the frame anyway...

Thanks for all the comments Steve. Its making me think and remind myself to plan ahead for the later additions so I dont have to hack up my trailer...

:thumbsup:
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby CaptainKram » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:19 pm

Hello stomperxj,

I'm a little new to be making comments yet, but I couldn't help myself. :) I love the wheel wells! I don't think I've ever seen a Tubbed Teardrop before. ;)
"A woman drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her." ~W. C. Feilds
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:30 pm

That's some nice cad work on your design.

How high is the gallery from the ground?

I've also got some more cad projects if you are interested.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby stomperxj » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:44 am

mikeschn wrote:That's some nice cad work on your design.

How high is the gallery from the ground?

I've also got some more cad projects if you are interested.

Mike...

Thanks for the nice comments Mike... I have been using Autocad since about 1989 or so. Started with release 10 :)

The galley counter top is 40" off the ground depending on final ride height... I'm not worried about it being too high; my benches in my shop are about 42" and that is a comfortable working height and my back doesn't hurt from bending over...

mikeschn wrote:I've also got some more cad projects if you are interested.

Mike...

Whats the pay? :R
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Mary K » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:32 pm

Way Cool Design. I like the galley area a lot. :thumbsup:

stomperxj wrote:Thanks for the nice comments Mike... I have been using Autocad since about 1989 or so. Started with release 10 :)

Ah, Release 10....the good old days....I have fond memories of DOS and HUGE digitizers.....:lol:

mikeschn wrote:I've also got some more cad projects if you are interested.

Mike...

Careful, he now knows you can do 3D. :lol:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:41 pm

Mary K wrote:
Careful, he now knows you can do 3D. :lol:

Mk

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been doing CAD since 1985. Yea, I remember the big digitizers. I also remember VAX operating systems, and Unix operating systems, button boxes and spaceballs. Oh wait, I still use spaceballs!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs