Frosteez "Just Chillin'" (New pics - HF Axle flip)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Frosteez "Just Chillin'" (New pics - HF Axle flip)

Postby cdfnchico » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:50 am

Okay...Leo (Frosteez) is head builder...so I get to be chief documentarian. We are building a 5X8 Generic Benroy on a HF trailer. We'll try to keep you updated...and include pics!

We ordered our HF Model 93747 trailer last week & picked it up Friday afternoon. The plan was to put it together Sat morning, build the floor, seal it and bolt it down by Sun afternoon. Well....that was the plan...

First, we had to trim all the crosspieces by 1.5". Leo had purchased a blade and planned to use the chop saw at the yard; he works for a lumber company :) , BUT he couldn't get the blade off so after hemming & hawing he bought a new toy...seen in the pic below:

Moving along, with a tad later start than planned, we start bolting the trailer together...squared it up...it was looking good! Now, while this next part seems incredibly obvious to us NOW, it didn't at the time...OKay?

The modification of the trailer width had implications we hadn't anticipated. First of all, the axle had a plate with an indentation for a bolt head to rest in; with a narrower trailer the bolt head now rested on the plate itself, which meant we had to grind out an additional depression in each plate in order for it to fit.

Then, once we started assembling the tongue, it became apparent the original holes in the frame would not work...like I said ..it's obvious NOW! Either the holes in the front crosspiece or along the sides needed to be redrilled, so we went with the ones on the side. Still, the pieces extend slightly past the frame...hopefully, with the sides covering the frame, that will be less obvious.

Finally, we moved the axle back...it's default location was at approx 42" from the rear of the trailer; we were shooting for closer to 38" and that happy medium Andrew's calculations suggest. We were able to utilize existing holes in the frame at 38.5" so that's what we did. Saturday was gone!

Sunday after church Leo got started on the floor...he had precut the pieces of 2X2 and it went to gether pretty fast. Then he wired the trailer as we will haul it to DMV and license it as a flatbed as soon as we bolt the floor down. He also installed a swing away tongue wheel. Finally, he got the underside covered with stinky black goo...and almost accomplished everything we wanted to this weekend!

Next weekend, we plan to cut out a template for the sides using 3/8' plywood...sand it and "finalize" it so we can use it with the router to cut the side profiles.

We've been so excited it's great to actually get started.
Last edited by cdfnchico on Fri May 14, 2010 1:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby cdfnchico » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:19 pm

Thanks, Dan...sounds like a good adjustment to make! Cathy
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby Dean_A » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:58 pm

One of the best things about building a TD was all the great new tools that I absolutely HAD to buy in order to complete it. At least that's what I told my wife. 8)
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 am

Dean_A wrote:One of the best things about building a TD was all the great new tools that I absolutely HAD to buy in order to complete it. At least that's what I told my wife. 8)

Amen! I haven't built the TD yet, but having fun building cabinets, jigs, and other projects. Now if I can only figure out the dove tail jig. Next project... Norm Abrahms New Yankee Workshops deluxe router table.

cdfnchico, keep up the good work! Looks good so far!
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Alan Wood » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:13 am

cuyeda wrote:
Dean_A wrote:One of the best things about building a TD was all the great new tools that I absolutely HAD to buy in order to complete it. At least that's what I told my wife. 8)

Amen! I haven't built the TD yet, but having fun building cabinets, jigs, and other projects. Now if I can only figure out the dove tail jig. Next project... Norm Abrahms New Yankee Workshops deluxe router table.

cdfnchico, keep up the good work! Looks good so far!

Oh the dove tail jig. First thing is to get your saw cutting square. I kid you not. When I bought my dovetail jig I wound up bying a new sliding compound miter saw just to make cuts square enough for the dovetail jig.

By the way what brand did you get?

Alan Wood
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:52 am

Hi, Chico:

You two really got a lot done in one weekend! :applause:

I don't know if you need the DMV information below or not; but, since I've already done the research, I thought I'd share it with you. (There may be something somewhere in my ramblings that you or someone else needs to know. Ha! Ha!) :thinking:

PTI Flatbed Licensing:

When you get ready to license your trailer as a flat bed, Calif. DMV told me they always want to inspect anything home made or made from a kit. They told me to fill out DMV's form #4017 and bring it in along with your bill of sale and the Vehicle ID# (VIN) to get a temporary license so you can then bring the trailer down for inspection and the actual PTI flatbed licensing. (There's a guy in my town who takes old, delapidated vehicles and turns them into flatbed trailers for sale. He said the DMV inspector looks at it briefly and that's it.) You can get your forms online.

Modifying your PTI License for Insurance:

When you finish your camper, I'm told you need to apply for a change in your license it (use form #REG256) because the weight and size will differ even though the license type is still a Permanent Trailer. (As long as your camper doesn't have a potty with potty plumbing, it is still classified as a Perm. Trailer.) Among other things, I'm told that unless you do this, you may have trouble getting insurance, if you want it.

Weight vs. Brakes:

Building a 5X8' Benroy, you'll probably be under 1500 lbs but, just as a precaution, remember that if your trailer weighs more, I'm told it needs to have brakes to be legal.

I hope something I've written is of help to you or at least saves you some research time.

Best Wishes,
Sharon
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cuyeda » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:02 am

Alan Wood wrote:...snip... By the way what brand did you get?
Alan Wood

Alan, It was a Rockler. I haven't spent enough time on it yet for the learning curve. Rabet, and dados are good enough for teardrop building. I just like the nice interweave look, if I can ever get the hang of it.
Sorry for the interuption... Now back to cdfnchico's build...
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Frosteez "Just Chillin'"

Postby joecnc2006 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:25 am

cdfnchico wrote:We ordered our HF Model 94747 trailer last week & picked it up Friday afternoon. The plan was to put it together Sat morning, build the floor, seal it and bolt it down by Sun afternoon. Well....that was the plan...

Did you mean the 93747, just wondering if this is the same one you got, and did not install the side rails and tailgate.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93747

Joe
joecnc2006
Donating Member

Postby planovet » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:36 am

Dean_A wrote:One of the best things about building a TD was all the great new tools that I absolutely HAD to buy in order to complete it. At least that's what I told my wife.

Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol:

The people at Lowes are begining to know me by name. I think I have replaced every old power tool that I had except for the router and circular saw. A new router may be next. :twisted:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby cdfnchico » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:25 pm

joecnc2006 wrote:Did you mean the 93747, just wondering if this is the same one you got, and did not install the side rails and tailgate.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93747

Joe - Yep, that's the one...I'll edit my post. We went to the local store and had them order it so did not have to pay shipping.

And guys...Leo does not need encouragement to buy new toys!! The good news is, as a photographer, I always need new toys...so this gives me ammo for my next negotiation! :thumbsup:
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:40 pm

cdfnchico wrote:And guys...Leo does not need encouragement to buy new toys!! The good news is, as a photographer, I always need new toys...so this gives me ammo for my next negotiation! :thumbsup:

My problem, I am both the photographer, and handyman. My wife is the chief financial officer. I have to get things signed off for approval. However, when a package comes in the mail, she says "What's this?" Selling things on Ebay, and PayPal is my friend! On the wish list: Canon 10-22mm, and a 70-200 :lol:
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby planovet » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:33 pm

cuyeda wrote:Norm Abrahms New Yankee Workshops deluxe router table.

Is this what you are going to make next? http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0301

If so, we want pictures. I watched the show when he built it, I'm so jealous.
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby cuyeda » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:46 pm

planovet wrote:
cuyeda wrote:Norm Abrahms New Yankee Workshops deluxe router table.
Is this what you are going to make next? http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0301
Yep! Taped the show, ordered the cut sheet plans. This is more of an exercise than a need. If I can build a few storage cabinets, and drawers, it will prepare me for a TD build.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:04 pm

cdfnchico wrote:Okay...Leo (Frosteez) is head builder...so I get to be chief documentarian. We are building a 5X8 Generic Benroy on a HF trailer. We'll try to keep you updated...and include pics!

Ah ha, I've got you book marked now. I've been wanting to see a GenBen build in progress myself.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:12 pm

I'm looking for an update... :? :? :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Build Journals