Cobb Grill

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

Cobb Grill

Postby Camping Embers » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:35 pm

I just got my Cobb Grill today. Anyone know of a good forum site that has recipies for the Cobb? :picklejuice:
Camping Embers
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Cobb Grill

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:09 pm

Camping Embers wrote:I just got my Cobb Grill today. Anyone know of a good forum site that has recipies for the Cobb? :picklejuice:

I just use mine as standard grill, none of those wok add-ons or other extras. Find a place for small potatoes. I drop mine in along the side as soon as the charcoal is lit. It is a fine grill but it does not handle huge pieces of meat. It will do a single tri-tip roast just fine. I don't leave home without it.. :D
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Camping Embers » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:26 am

I'm hoping to use mine more as a slow cooker, but as I gain experience with the Cobb I might start to leave my portable gas grill at home when camping and use it that way too. Have you use Kingford matchlight charcoal in yours? Seems like it should work OK. I'd love to use kingsgrill (the coconut shell charcoal) but I haven't found a source for it. Cobb sells something similar, but it is horribly overpriced. :Flippin Burger:
Camping Embers
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:49 am

Camping Embers wrote:I'm hoping to use mine more as a slow cooker, but as I gain experience with the Cobb I might start to leave my portable gas grill at home when camping and use it that way too. Have you use Kingford matchlight charcoal in yours? Seems like it should work OK. I'd love to use kingsgrill (the coconut shell charcoal) but I haven't found a source for it. Cobb sells something similar, but it is horribly overpriced. :Flippin Burger:

I keep a small gas grill too for quick food . I use Kingsford regular most of the time with a pieces of fire-starter bricks in the middle. You only use 5-6 briquets for most items. I keep a large baggie of starter & briquets stored inside the Cobb, along with a lighter. That saves space since I am out weekends most of the time and cooking only two nights.
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Camping Embers » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:42 pm

Well, I have tried out my Cobb grill and am quite pleased. Chuck roast had mixed results (I'll try a better cut of meat next time), taters don't seem to cook well in the moat (water was in there too), but should cook on the rack well as did the corn wrapped in aluminum foil. Maybe the best surprise was a chicken I cooked tonight. Spice rub, 8 matchlight type coals and 3 hours slow cookin. Some of the best, moistest chicken I have ever had. Even had a slight hint of smoke...yum! :thumbsup: Think I'll add a bit of mesquite next time to the coals.

No hint of a taste from the matchlight (Sams Premium) charcoal, but I don't think I'll use it after the current supply is used up. I would like the option to add a coal or two during cookin (seems like after 3 hours the heat was dying out) and that just wouldn't work for the matchlight (soaked in lighter fluid smells like). Course at 8 coals a meal it will be awhile before my current bag is used up! LoL.
Camping Embers
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:50 am

Camping Embers wrote:Well, I have tried out my Cobb grill and am quite pleased. Chuck roast had mixed results (I'll try a better cut of meat next time), taters don't seem to cook well in the moat (water was in there too).

I do not add water in the moat. Since I do not do slow cooking, I put the potatoes in as soon as I light the coals. Sometimes they are more than a little crispy but I like them that way. it reminds me of cooking them in a pile of burning leaves as a kid. I get the taters from Trader Joe's and come in three colors, Yukon gold, purple and red with white meat. Gold-purple-white. They all cook at different speeds. I believe the white is done first, then the gold and lastly the purple.
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Re: Cobb Grill

Postby PaulC » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:33 pm

Camping Embers wrote:I just got my Cobb Grill today. Anyone know of a good forum site that has recipies for the Cobb? :picklejuice:

Did a google search and came up with this:
http://cobbbbq.com/forum/default.asp
and this:
http://forum.australia4wd.com/lofiversion/index.php?t4657.html
and this:
http://home.amazon.com/tag/cobb%20grill/forum

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Camping Embers » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:40 pm

Dennis, do you wrap the spuds in foil or just place them in the mote? I might try fast frying and smoking some steaks without the water.

Paul, Thanks for the links. I didn't know about the Australian one and some of their recipies look tempting. This should be interesting. :icedtea:
Camping Embers
Teardrop Advisor

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2