Spam Poppers

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

Spam Poppers

Postby Gaelen » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:59 pm

It's state fair time, and for some reason I entered the Spam contest. This year they're specifically looking for appetizers, and I was going to make a version of stuffed mushrooms substituting Spam for chopped ham.

And then my jalapeno crop came in. ;)

So today, I made a trial recipe of Spam Poppers. I did them inside on my cast iron grill pan, but they'd be great on an outdoor grill, or maybe even in a pie oven.

SPAM POPPERS

6 medium sized jalapeno peppers (about 3 1/2-4" long)
1 batch of filling
...3 oz. of Spam (any flavor--I used original)
...1 1/2 oz. of softened cream cheese
...1 tablespoon of dill pickle relish (or to taste)
...1 teaspoon spicy brown or Dijon mustard

- Clean and hollow out the jalapenos, removing all the seeds and the white parts that hold the seed core in. If making in a pie iron, slice off the stem end and then use an apple corer or small sharp knife to take out the seeds and pith. If using a regular grill, slice off the stem end and then slice them in half the long way. Clean the seeds and pith out with a melon baller, spoon or sharp knife. Set aside.

- In a small bowl, coarsely mash the Spam with a fork. Mix in the softened cream cheese, pickle relish and mustard.

- Put a teaspoonful of filling into each jalapeno half, or two teaspoons into a whole pepper. Don't overfill them!

- If making in a pie iron: Place the whole peppers in an oiled pie oven and grill for four minutes, or until the pepper skins are charred and the filling is hot.
If making on a grill pan: Place the halves, pepper side down, on the hot grill. Cook for 3 minutes, rotating as needed to get the peppers charred all over. When the peppers are cooked through, flip them briefly to the filling side, and cook for 30 sec. to 1 minute, or until the filling is golden brown.

Serve warm. Makes 6 whole poppers, or 12 'halves.'
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Mauleskinner » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:05 pm

Thought I posted a reply here...musta' only got to the "preview" page before backing up to the index... :?

That does sound good, though, Gaelen...I'm going to have to try that :thumbsup:

David
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:18 pm

I might actually get my wife to try SPAM with this recipe.

I'm hungry!
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2