Who has built their own?

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby Mauleskinner » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:44 pm

bobhenry wrote:Pictures are long gone in a house fire but at about 13 I decided I wanted an upside down bicycle.

You take a standard 26" midweight bicycle and remove rear tire and pedal crank and reinstall backwards so when you flip the bike upside down it will pedal correctly. Remove the front fork and reinstall it upside down. You will need to weld in a handlebar extention and a long seat post. I struggled with this part of the project until our neighbor Mr. Hudson heard about my delima. He owned a machine shop and he loaded me and the bike up and in 20 minutes I had the extensions installed and was good to go. I road my upsie down bike thouands of miles in the next couple of years. Mr Hudson is no longer with us but I would still like to thank him for reaching down and helping the "neighbor kid"

Best kind of friends and neighbors...the ones that help you be yourself :)
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:39 pm

Greg, I looked over the plans this weekend and I've decided to save for one of these:

http://www.terratrike.com/cruiser.php

I like the idea of building one, and the plans are great, but the cost would be too high. The material would probably be a minor part of the build. Buying all the tools and a Tig welder would put it out of my price range.

Thanks for the help.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:49 pm

TPMcGinty wrote:I like the idea of building one, and the plans are great, but the cost would be too high. The material would probably be a minor part of the build. Buying all the tools and a Tig welder would put it out of my price range.

Thanks for the help.

Ah, but buying tools is half the fun. Honest honey, I NEED a TIG welder. I promise it'll get lots of use :)

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Billy Onions » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:11 am

GPW wrote:Dave , we got our ideas from atomiczombie.com and parts from the trash piles ,attics , sheds..wherever... Fun stuff, somewhat unusual..

:thumbsup:

But if I build one it gives me more headaches about how to carry it on the teardrop :roll:
Rolling Home
the gog blog

http://ukteardrops.blog.com/
Billy Onions
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:40 am

The question is whether you'll have a use for a bicycle ...if you do , you'll find a way to carry it.. once you take the wheels off they get pretty small...that or make a folding bike ...
Ever see a "Formicone' adjustable bike??? ...Italian
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Arne » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:49 am

I have 2 recumbents. bought.... I am very impressed with those who have built their own... much cheaper I'm sure...

I'm still trying to figure out how to carry mine with me. You know the simplicity of t/d camping.... fill the van to capacity, then use the trailer as a big suitcase..

I don't have room on the rear of the van for a rack (only 2' of clearance between t/d and van) and don't really want it on the roof (wind resistance and road grime).

That leaves the trailer, and even a swb recumbent is not that short... but that may be where it has to go...

I may try to build a rack to go on the rear of the t/d some day.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Mauleskinner » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:54 pm

I'm thinking of welding or bolting some kind of fittings to the frame so that I can carry it on the side of my tear...but then, I'm only building 4' wide.

David
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Way late to the conversation

Postby ccdell » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:22 am

I guess I am a bit late to this thread, but I have built 5'ish (the first was destroyed during "testing" and the last is hanging in the garage waiting completion), all recumbents. I have 2 long wheel base, 1 tandem, 1 CLWB, and a short wheel base front wheel drive. Oh, and there is the Vision R40 that started me in this particular insanity. (the tandem is shown in my avatar)

Scott
ccdell
Teardrop Advisor

Postby the pvc bike guy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:31 pm

HI, all

:roll:I'm new to the site and wonted to add my 1-cent.

8)I build all of my bikes out of PVC Pipe due to my bottom gets sore (Avatar is just one of my bikes) yes this is all PVC except the metal for crank, wheels and straps for wheels.

I'd upload more photos but can't seem to find the way to and yes I did look at the Help with photos LOL still cant seem to find how.:cry:

I only use PVC pipe and fittings (PVC dose get toxic when put in land fills) I can Get from any one that not going to use them as in the city’s' Of Tacoma, Seattle and Yelm so I don't use new. This way I feel good about my self.

My next Project is to Build A Teardrop Trailer for towing behind my bike or others. If any one has Idea on this it would be great to exchange info due to I have never built one and trying to keep the weight down is going to a calling due to I don’t wont to buy out of store’s and there is a market out there for something like this also bikes will hold over 900 pounds.

If you won’t to see my other bikes here is one place to see them http://push.pickensplan.com/profile/ThePVCBikeGuy
Last edited by the pvc bike guy on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smile all the time and thy will leave you alone.

More Bicycle Photos
http://push.pickensplan.com/photo/photo ... ulffolmhpk
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby chorizon » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:28 pm

Your bikes are really cool! Could I build one for someone I know that is around 200 AND SIXTY lbs?
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby the pvc bike guy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:47 pm

chorizon wrote:Your bikes are really cool! Could I build one for someone I know that is around 200 AND SIXTY lbs?

I'm honored you like the bike, but I sell them sorry :cry:

More Bicycle Photos
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kennyrayandersen » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:31 am

I always thought that would be a cool deal to build, but I got like a hundred other projects to go. Maybe if I live to be 100, I can get to it! :lol:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby the pvc bike guy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:58 pm

Ya I think it's called to many irons in the fire. ;)

More Bicycle Photos
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Bicycles