The Caj-INN Build

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby 01Sport » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:32 am

Eddielbs wrote:
CAJUN LADY wrote:Eddie:
http://www.kclarsen.net/

Yeah I was a little confused about the quote sorry.. and your right i have looked at his site.. I'm kinda fond on the pictures of the toy Jeep 8).. all joking aside you do have some really nice work K.C.

Thanks Eddie. Unfortunately I'm jeepless now :cry:

I spoke to SAF last week as I'm about to order my aluminum and they said you don't need a loading dock/business, the truck just needs to be able to get to your house, but you do need to have the manpower to unload it.
K.C.

Teardrop Name: Golden State Teardrop
01Sport
Teardrop Master

Postby cokebottle10 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:40 pm

SAF? "Southern Aluminum Finishing" out of Atlanta GA? :thinking:
I love that profile and the dark blue sides. What type of blue panit did you use and did you spray on? I also like your idea of the angles for attachment points. Nice build.
cokebottle10
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 01Sport » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:15 pm

SAF? "Southern Aluminum Finishing" out of Atlanta GA?

Yes. If you order over 100 lbs, the shipping is free. I just ordered mine this morning thinking it would come from N. CA but it's coming from ATL. Should be here in about 2 weeks. :twisted:
K.C.

Teardrop Name: Golden State Teardrop
01Sport
Teardrop Master

Postby Eddielbs » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:28 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:"annealed the roof edge trim"

What is annealing and why is it done? Is it burning or scorching the wood? I am clueless on this one.

Annealing is were you apply heat the the aluminum to about 700 deg. to make it more "workable" it makes it a lot softer and you can form it more easily.. After it cools off that is.. I read a lot about it on the forum and had a lot of mentoring from Mad Jack in PM's before i tried it..
"Some Minds are like cement, A grey matter that is thoroughly mixed up and permanently set."
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Eddielbs » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:30 pm

01Sport wrote:Thanks Eddie. Unfortunately I'm jeepless now :cry:

Sorry to hear your jeepless.. And good luck with your aluminum my order did get a little bent in the shipping.. I hope your gets to you intact..
"Some Minds are like cement, A grey matter that is thoroughly mixed up and permanently set."
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Eddielbs » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:33 pm

cokebottle10 wrote:SAF?
I love that profile and the dark blue sides. What type of blue panit did you use and did you spray on?

Thanks.. I made the profile with some really thin pieces of wood. I sprayed it with a Blue 3 part oil based paint after i epoxied and sanded the wood.
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Eddielbs » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:43 pm

Finished the hatch skin today.. SO you know what that means... Yeah it means i am done enough to camp. So LCG III here we come. :)
I still have a few loose ends to take care of like fenders and bottom trim. Right now i have some fenders i ordered but i don't like them.. so I have them at a welders shop getting cut and re welded. I hope i like them better when he is done.. If not the search will be on for some new ones.

I would like to say it looks good behind my jeep and it does, but it really looks better behind my wifes white Chevy equinox sport. I took it for a test drive today, and it pulls like a dream. No swaying or anything like that even with a full tank of water and the generator in the back. I was kinda worried because of my decision on axle placement.
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby del » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:27 pm

I like it, very good job. In my opinion this is one of the better profiles, and a nice job building it at that.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:16 am

del wrote:Image

I like it, very good job. In my opinion this is one of the better profiles, and a nice job building it at that.

del

Lil Caj-Inn is beautiful! I like the blue and silver together. You did good Eddie. :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Eddielbs » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:58 pm

Thanks yall for the kind words it has been a hike to get here, But looking Back now I'm still glad i decided to build my own.. Not only did i get everything i wanted in it.. I got it in it like i wanted :) so you cant beat that.. I would like to tell everyone on this forum. Thanks for the input a lot of you will never know you helped me because the information was read for old post and such.. But i would like to name just a Few people who really helped me a lot with PM's and last minuet questions. One of those people is Stonetpro Not only did i get a lot of my design ideas from the FishINN i got a lot of help from its owner.. Thanks SteveT for being so helpful and understanding with all my questioning. And if he wouldn't have pointed me to Steve Fredricks Shop manual this build would have never gotten finished, I'm almost sure of that. Thanks Steve F. for compiling such a great resource it has been a lifesaver. And then there is Madjack.. I really got a lot of know how from the past post of MJ and i bothered him a little in PM's with questions about all sorts of things. Anyway. I would also like to thank everyone else who has helped just by being part of this great resource we call T&TTT and taking the time to answer all those questions from different people.. Those answers really are invaluable when getting into a project like this. THANK YOU ALL!!! ;)
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:55 am

Eddie that is Sweet. Anybody say Cute yet? :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Very Nice Work :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So is number 2 in the plans already Eddie? 8) 8) Enjoy the camping and long lines of people wanting to take a LooknSee.

Classic Finn ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Eddielbs » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:03 pm

Classic Finn wrote:Eddie that is Sweet. Anybody say Cute yet? :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Very Nice Work :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So is number 2 in the plans already Eddie? 8) 8) Enjoy the camping and long lines of people wanting to take a LooknSee.

Classic Finn ;)

Thanks Heikki, Nope I'm Not thinking about a #2... mainly because i think my Wife would Veto it :) she wants her parking spot back badly.. Besides I can't wait to get out and enjoy the little thing.. I think its going to be a blast..
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Applause for Eddie and Anna, it's beautiful!

Postby Esteban » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:29 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Eddie, your teardrop looks beautiful. Thank you for documenting your building progress so well. It really helps to learn what went well, and not so well. Now that you're nearly done it looks like you have a masterpiece in your hands.

Are you two, newly minted camping celebrities, ready to give tours to visitors? With your beautiful bright blue teardrop you're sure to catch peoples eyes and curiosity.

Hope you and Anna enjoy lots of happy camping adventures together.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

P.S. One of the (many) details of your teardrop I like is how your hatch bottom is done, extending it past the galley floor. It's a real clean design (that I wish I could have copied).
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Applause for Eddie and Anna, it's beautiful!

Postby Eddielbs » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:39 pm

Thank you for the Complements Steve, I just hope that in someway all the pictures and things i have posted here helps someone in someway because i know i have really gotten a lot of help from this forum during my build thats for sure.
Your right Anna is already planning on making some type of guest book for people to sign that has some pictures of the build process in it for when we give tours.. So far on one outing we had to give Four tours of the Lil trailer. I'm sure that will be a big part of camping in it so we are trying to get some way to keep a record of our visitors.. ;)
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Re: Applause for Eddie and Anna, it's beautiful!

Postby Bluetoys » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Eddielbs wrote:Thank you for the Complements Steve, I just hope that in someway all the pictures and things i have posted here helps someone in someway because i know i have really gotten a lot of help from this forum during my build thats for sure.
Your right Anna is already planning on making some type of guest book for people to sign that has some pictures of the build process in it for when we give tours.. So far on one outing we had to give Four tours of the Lil trailer. I'm sure that will be a big part of camping in it so we are trying to get some way to keep a record of our visitors.. ;)

Eddie
I for one really appreciate you posting what you have during your build. The profile of your tear is what I had pictured in my head of what a tear camper should look like, and the one I had started drawing on Autocad looks very similar, I was glad to have found yours on this site. Mine is going to be 5'x10' with 5' walls.
I was pleasantly surprised when you posted the pics of it painted blue. I was thinking I would paint mine a similar blue to what my car and cycle are. The bike is cobalt blue and the car is Ford vista blue. I really like the look of the aluminum roof skin. I can hardly wait to see the fenders you choose, I would guess they will have a kinda swoopy profile.
Thank you for what you have done and the pics you have given us. :thumbsup:
Matt Shuey in Iowa
Bluetoys
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion